How much !

ed_pete

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Pop to morrisons in Peckham, you'll get a mug of tea/coffee and buttered hot cross bun for 75p. I don't know how some of these places have the nerve to charge so much. See the mug thread I commented on.

Louisa.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Clearly the supermarket comparison is

> ridiculous/predictable/tedious, but nevertheless,

> Brick House is pretty expensive...

OK then. How about another independent local bakery that's been here for 60+ years.

http://www.ayresbakery.com/

How much do they charge does anyone know? I've not been in for a month or so.

Louisa.

I haven't tried the Brick House HCB but I have eaten the ones from Blackbird and they were far better than any supermarket bun I've ever had. They're still expensive at 70p each or 6 for ?3 but that significantly less than BH.

ed_pete Wrote:

> Louisa - if I'm passing Ayres I'll buy some and

> let you know what I think.

Please do ed_pete, let me know how you get on. What I love about Ayres is they are always open for suggestions if you aren't happy with the product, although personally, I've never had a problem with any of their produce. It's all made on site too.

Louisa.

Granted- it is v.expensive.

TBH i think the whole place is a bit ridiculous.

I went in for breakfast for a second time, early-ish on saturday morning. Hands were slightly tied as i was moving flat and wanted something other than a greasy spoon, and none of the other decent places were open yet.

Had 2 boiled eggs again and they still haven't learned that eggs keep cooking in the shells after you take them out of the water, unless you plunge them in cold water. This is blinking basic. Net result- when you come to eat the second boiled egg, it's completely hard boiled. And at ?4.50 for two boiled eggs and toast, you gotta get these things right.

However; good coffee and great bread.

Blackbird hot x buns are fantastic - 50p each and not only much tastier than supermarket ones but also about twice the size. Also Konditor and Cook - a bit more expensive but also huge. ?1.50 too much though, and I've always been underwhelmed by Brick House generally. Shame because I really want to like it, but tbh I prefer Blackbird or Boulangerie Jade every time.

Is brick house the same price for eat in and "takeaway"? TBH ?1.50 for eating in wouldn't bother me (especially if toasted and buttered), but it's a bit steep if you're just buying to eat at home later.

Brick house bread is still great though.

Pretty sure that ?1.50 is the takeaway price. I didn't want this to turn into a "let's knock brick house" as I said I've not tried the buns in question. I've only shopped there a few times and when I have I've been happy with the service and the product. I also think that what they've done with the space in general is great. I just think ?1.50 for a bun is a lot.

Didn't you crack the shell of the second one to stop it cooking? Or did they bring you the second one once you'd finished the first?

titch juicy Wrote:

> Granted- it is v.expensive.

>

> TBH i think the whole place is a bit ridiculous.

>

> I went in for breakfast for a second time,

> early-ish on saturday morning. Hands were slightly

> tied as i was moving flat and wanted something

> other than a greasy spoon, and none of the other

> decent places were open yet.

>

> Had 2 boiled eggs again and they still haven't

> learned that eggs keep cooking in the shells after

> you take them out of the water, unless you plunge

> them in cold water. This is blinking basic. Net

> result- when you come to eat the second boiled

> egg, it's completely hard boiled. And at ?4.50 for

> two boiled eggs and toast, you gotta get these

> things right.

>

> However; good coffee and great bread.

Foxy, as much as I love a cross bun with a cup of tea, I don't consider them the most amazing thing in the world. Pretty easy to make too. Couldn't personally justify an individual price of ?1+ for such a basic item. Hence why, I consider the Morrisons deal a good one.

Louisa.