Boaty McBoatface. What's wrong with that?

Seabag

It's a sad day when the people's vote is ignored

I mean, they asked and they got, didn't they ?

I'd be very proud and slightly amused, if every time someone on the news, radio or in print had to mention Boaty McBoatface. I know it's utterly stupid, but no more stupid than many other things we get to endure. And just imagine world leaders and the likes having to try and say its name, Robert Mugabe and Putin come to mind here

However, 'they' want to kill Boaty off. And for that I'm unhappy, but not suprised

That said, If Jeremy Corbin can be the 'not so funny actually' leader of the Labour Party, then why can't a boat that looks ready to be sailed to sea by Bob The Builder not be called what the people want it to be called

Mah, not fair!

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/apr/19/boaty-mcboatface-tyrants-have-crushed-the-peoples-will

"Boaty McBoatface" makes me laugh much more than it ever should do.

Personally, I think NERC should throw out some sort of challenge. If the UK can donate, say ?10m, to the BMcB fund then they'll name the boat accordingly. Personally, I think if they did that, they'd get the dosh and everyone will be happy.

They're passing-up a golden opportunity to make this the most famous exploratory vessel in history (apart from the Starship Enterprise, obvs)

Anyway, they'll name it something else like HMS Pompous, or Splendid, or Nelson Mandela - but it will always be known colloquially as 'Boaty - and hopefully every time it makes the news for finding a new shape of snowflake or mincing a dolphin in its propellors, the newsreader will say 'the ship that was nearly called Boaty'.

Noun-y McNoun-thingy: Fascinating...

The practice of affixing ?Mc? to nouns, adjectives, or verbs ?to create mock names denoting a person who ? is considered an exemplar or personification? goes back at least to the late 1940s, according to the OED. The cartoon Cool McCool, about an incompetent spy with an air of mystery, aired in 1966. ?Tits McGee? was used on San Diego local TV news in 1974 (at least in the fictional world of Anchorman). A character on the popular ?80s British television show Black Adder described someone as ?madder than Mad Jack McMad, the winner of last year?s Mr. Madman competition.? And in the 1990s, the Simpsons returned several times to the McWell, in one episode referring to a vengeful God as ?Killy McGee? and in another placing a character in ?Tipsy McStagger?s Good Time Drinking and Eating Emporium.?
http://www.slate.com/blogs/lexicon_valley/2016/03/25/boaty_mcboatface_mcdreamy_tits_mcgee_and_the_internet_s_favorite_naming.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Looking back into the Crystal ball of life, I feel this event (and this thread) were storm clouds of the future horizon, where the then powers that be ignored 'the will of the people'

In hindsight, I reckon we'd have grown to love Boaty Mc Boatface, rather than to loathe those who voted 'differently' than us.

I hope that boat, like Mody Dick, haunts the seas of Cameron's dreams.

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Looking back into the Crystal ball of life, I feel

> this event (and this thread) were storm clouds of

> the future horizon, where the then powers that be

> ignored 'the will of the people'

>

> In hindsight, I reckon we'd have grown to love

> Boaty Mc Boatface, rather than to loathe those who

> voted 'differently' than us.

>

> I hope that boat, like Mody Dick, haunts the seas

> of Cameron's dreams.

But one of the Subs is known as Boaty McBoatface.

As if Brexit was only given to Southend.