Best Mexican / South American Restaurant in London

Jocky

A subject dear to my heart. Mestizo on Hampstead road for up-market Mexican and excellent margaritas, there are also a couple of places in Brixton Market, one of which at least is good but I can't remember which, sorry. Also, there is one on Abbeville Road which I've heard is good but haven't been, Comensal, I think. I'd second Cravings in Peckham for a good home cooked Mexican style (they also do arepa and guasacaca which I tried yesterday and was delicious). Wish there were more good Mexicans though! I'm afraid I don't count Wahaca in that any more.

For Peruvian food I do like the Ceviche restaurants - Ceviche in Soho and Old Street, and Andina in Shoreditch. Would love to know if there are others that are good.

For general SA/Mexican goods I love Sol Andina on the Old Kent Road, although Franklin's farm shop also stocks some of the Cool Chile range. Plus, there is a new Mexican cheese dairy in Peckham, http://gringadairy.com, not tried yet.

Jocky Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm currently in search of recommendations. Would

> be grateful if I could tap into the vast pool of

> wisdom.

The Columbians I have worked with in the past got their lunches from a Columbian restaurant on the 1st floor of the Elephant & Castle complex.

They ate there daily as did I. I thought the food was delicious.

Oaxaca, sorry Wahaca, aint a South American restaurant, it is a British version of what we think is Mexcan food. If you go dowh Brixton Market there are a few Mexican inspired places that are better.

There is an odd Colombian canteen off Black PRince Road, but not a lot of help if I don't know the name.

pipsky2008 Wrote:

> Jocky Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I'm currently in search of recommendations.

> Would

> > be grateful if I could tap into the vast pool

> of

> > wisdom.

>

> The Columbians I have worked with in the past got

> their lunches from a Columbian restaurant on the

> 1st floor of the Elephant & Castle complex.

>

> They ate there daily as did I. I thought the food

> was delicious.

Yep I was gonna say E&C. Obviously not for somewhere to take someone for a nice meal, as it's E&C, but if you just love south american food, you'll find something good there.

pipsky2008 Wrote:

>

> The Columbians I have worked with in the past got

> their lunches from a Columbian restaurant on the

> 1st floor of the Elephant & Castle complex.

>

> They ate there daily as did I. I thought the food

> was delicious.

Must be La Bodeguita. Really authentic food, dancing ladies, the works. Went there for a friend's birthday many years ago - I had the ox tongue (which I don't recommend, but i didn't know I wouldn't like ox tongue until I tried it!) and I had my phone nicked (which j also don't recommend!). But if you order sensibly and keep your stuff in your pockets, it seem like a cool place :)