Diet

Gaynor Hill

Crash dieting is not a good idea unless closly monitored..

Eating a healthy diet and exersise is a better way to go..

To exercise you need carborhydrates. but you need to eat the correct carbs.. Low Glycemic Index carbs.

that do not spike your blood sugar (glucose) levels.

Exercising without carbs. can lead to body fat being used as fuel. In its extreem body organs will be wasted.(anorexia)

When someone burns body fat Ketones are produced which can lead to Ketoacidosis, which can lead to serious illness in a relatively short space of time

This is one reason why Crash Dieting is a bad idea..

DulwichFox

siousxiesue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Glycaemic Load is a better way to judge than GI

Yes it is but is more complex to work out.. Sticking to Low G.I food and keeping meals small is the way to go..

Generally because women have more body fat that men, women should exercise before eating and men should exercise after a meal.

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> Eating a healthy diet and exersise is a better

> way to go..

>

That's not likely to lose you ten pounds in a hurry! :))

ETA: I doubt the occasional crash diet is going to do anybody any harm if they are reasonably healthy to start with.

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> >

> > Eating a healthy diet and exersise is a better

> > way to go..

> >

>

>

>

> That's not likely to lose you ten pounds in a

> hurry! :))

>

> ETA: I doubt the occasional crash diet is going to

> do anybody any harm if they are reasonably healthy

> to start with.

Occasional is the KEY word...

Yes you may lose a few pounds but will put it back on requireing another Occasioal crash diet. Like a Y0-Yo.

Sticking to eating regular healthy meals spaced out throughout the day is better. When you crash diet your brain tells

your body to store fat which is why people find they are not losing weight as fast as they would like.

If you need to lose weight it is likely you are not so healthy.

It's complicated.. Lose weight slowly and your body will adjust and the weight will stay off.

These weight lose regimes and products are a scam and are multi million pound businesses.

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

> When you crash diet your brain tells your body to store fat which is why people find

> they are not losing weight as fast as they would like.

Not quite. Your body adapts by lowering you metabolism rate - it basically goes into famine mode as a defence mechanism. So, not only does your weight loss slow, as soon as you come off the diet and fall back to you previous calorie intake, you pack the pounds back on very quickly. After you put all the weight back on, your body will re-adjust your metabolism, but by then it is too late.

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> To exercise you need carborhydrates. but you

> need to eat the correct carbs.. Low Glycemic Index

> carbs.

> that do not spike your blood sugar (glucose)

> levels.

>

To exercise you need ATP to facilitate muscle contraction and relaxation. To produce ATP, you need glucose. Glucose can be derived from carbohydrates, or from fats and proteins.

> Exercising without carbs. can lead to body fat

> being used as fuel. In its extreem body organs

> will be wasted.(anorexia)

So long as you have sufficient intake of either fats or proteins, the dietary intake of these will be used for gluconeogenesis, resulting the generation of glucose, where dietary carbohydrates are not available. Body organs will not be wasted so long as the total energy requirements do not exceed the energy onput, beyond which the body fat can sustain energy needs. How much fat an individual needs to burn before body organs start to be catabolised depends on the starting weight, individual metabolic rate, and total dietary and micronutrient intake of the individual, not just carbohydrates.

However, it should be noted that prolonged intake of a high-protein diet may be associated with kidney damage, since the kidneys are the main organ through which the body rids itself of the excess protons that are produced during the deamination of amino acids as part of gluconeogenesis.

>

> When someone burns body fat Ketones are produced

> which can lead to Ketoacidosis, which can lead to

> serious illness in a relatively short space of

> time

Ketosis and ketoacidosis are two separate biological phenomena. Ketosis does not necessarily lead to ketoacidosis. Indeed ketosis is a recommended nutritional strategy for treating certain metabolic conditions, such as type 2 diabetes. This is not related to diabetic ketoacidosis, which is generally seen in type 1 diabetes where insufficient insulin is available to promote the uptake of glucose into cells. It is often seen in people who were not aware that they were type 1 diabetic, since ketoacidosis is mainly associated with low insulin + high blood sugar. In otherwise healthy, non-alcoholic individuals, nutritional ketosis does not lead to ketoacidosis because there is sufficient insulin available and sufficient gluconeogenesis from non-carbohydrate substrates.

>

> This is one reason why Crash Dieting is a bad

> idea..

Crash dieting is a bad idea for many different reasons, and much of the 'health' food industry is at best a marketing ploy (at worst an outright scam). However, I'd hardly call losing 10 lb a crash diet unless the OP is only 3 feet tall, or wants to lose the weight in less than a week. Nevertheless, I'd agree that slow weight loss is more sustainable.

Perhaps a corset in the meantime? xx

DulwichFox Wrote:

> These weight lose regimes and products are a scam

> and are multi million pound businesses.

>

Given the level of obesity in first world countries these days, there are many people who need to lose weight, and to do so they will need some sort of "regime" otherwise they will just keep getting fatter!

I don't think diet products are necessarily a scam unless they are telling outright lies (eg that eating or drinking some particular thing will in itself cause you to lose weight).

They might not work in the long term, but that doesn't necessarily make them a scam. Most diets don't work in the long term either, because people gradually (or quickly!) return to the eating habits which made them fat in the first place.

It's obviously true that eating a healthy diet (and not too much of it) and exercising are important, but for many people that is easier said than done when they are trying to change the habits of a lifetime and everywhere they go there is tempting food laden with fat and sugar.

I still don't see anything wrong with trying to lose ten pounds quickly eg to fit into a dress for a special occasion. So what if it goes back on again afterwards?

Yes you are all right, had enough already I was ill for some months could not exercise and on steroids so feel like a puffer fish but decided after you all kindly pointed out to me I do it slowly I just get size 14 summer dresses my 10/12 can wait

But any advice I would be glad of

Thankyou all

Gaynor

There's a lot of quite different claims on here about the topic - all really interesting points. I'm super interested in this topic and am a bit of a geek on it - just love info. Qualified PT and will start a Nutrition course imminently.....

Anyone care to reference their sources? I only say this as it is one of the most researched fields out there and the science is constantly evolving - a lot of previously held ideas are now known to be more nuanced than previously believed.

Gaynor Hill Wrote:

> Yes you are all right, had enough already I was

> ill for some months could not exercise and on

> steroids so feel like a puffer fish but decided

> after you all kindly pointed out to me I do it

> slowly I just get size 14 summer dresses my 10/12

> can wait

> But any advice I would be glad of

> Thankyou all

> Gaynor

Do you have a dietary weakness? Is there anything you could cut, even for a just a month? My weakness postpartum was biscuits and sweet tea. I cut the sugar out of my tea and coffee, and I gave up biscuits and cakes for a couple of months. That did it for me.

Ten pounds is pretty easy to lose. Unfortunately, it's pretty easy to gain too. So if I see my weight creeping back up, I usually have one or two days a week of very low calorie intake. Then I eat normally the other days.

Recently I noticed that over the winter, I've gotten into the habit of having really large evening meals, so now I'm making all my evening meals a bit smaller.

A friend of mine found that bread was her weakness, so she only eats bread at the weekends now.

Finding a diet that works for you can be very tricky when there are so many lovely temptations in every caf? and pub! Good luck. xx

jacks09 Wrote:

> There's a lot of quite different claims on here

> about the topic - all really interesting points.

> I'm super interested in this topic and am a bit of

> a geek on it - just love info. Qualified PT and

> will start a Nutrition course imminently.....

>

> Anyone care to reference their sources? I only

> say this as it is one of the most researched

> fields out there and the science is constantly

> evolving - a lot of previously held ideas are now

> known to be more nuanced than previously believed.

The stuff on gluconeogenesis, ketosis, etc is all first year uni stuff that is easily found in general textbooks or reputable online searches.

The bit on renal damage is speculative (which is why I stated *may* cause damage), depending on which studies you read. People with existing kidney problems may be vulnerable. Probably in healthy people, high-protein diets that exclude carbohydrates do not cause kidney damage in the short term. However, diets which totally exclude all carbs long term can result in other dietary problems. The Mayo Clinic has some interesting research on this. I think the jury is probably still out on this one. Nevertheless, it's worth approaching with caution as kidney disease is often silent, and increases with age. People may not know they have underlying kidney disease until something else worsens it.

As far as the diet and health food industry using marketing ploys or being caught up in scams, there's plenty of interesting commentary for and against the use of such products, and it's always good to read both sides of the issue. I have a few friends who are so obsessed with 'healthy' eating, that their behaviour borders on being an eating disorder. So I must confess that I approach the industry with some scepticism. xx

Jacks,

Imo Saffron knows what he / she is talking about. If you don't want to trawl through 1st year uni text books I suggest you visit Lyle MacDonalds site. You can read through posts from a few years ago which cover all this or pay a few quid for the ebook which covers this specific topic in reasonable but not exccessive detail.

If you have the time and cash, I'd suggest a week at Homefield Grange (http://www.homefieldgrangeretreat.co.uk/). The basic programme is juice detox plus exercise but it's more spa than boot camp and they'll tailor a programme to take into account your recent health issues. It'll get you off to a quick start and give you some ideas you can use to carry on afterwards.

Failing that, you could juice at home for two meals a day and have a salad or home-made soup in the evening. A week of that will take off a few pounds.

Or google the old British Heart Foundation 3-day diet. A lot of people used to swear by that for losing 10lb.

(Eta link.)

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Or google the old British Heart Foundation 3-day

> diet. A lot of people used to swear by that for losing 10lb.

I'm pretty sure it is impossible to lose 10lb/5kg in three days even if you completely fasted. They say that 1 lb of fat is at least 3500 calories worth, and a woman only consumes about 2000 calories a day normally. That means you'd need to burn off at least 29000 calories in those three days, which is about 58 hours (or about 20 hours a day over the three days) on the treadmill.

That would only be possible if you did something like dehydrate, which jockeys have been known to do in order to 'make the weight' for races. It would be, at best, a very, very temporary weight loss.

Or, alternatively, saw a leg off.

Loz, you can't lose 5kg of fat in three days of course. But after a few days of carrot juice, and whatever other nasty things people do, your stomach and intestines will be much lighter. And if you have an empty bladder, and have maybe been for a sauna that morning... yes I think it's realistic.

Of course as soon as you eat a couple of normal meals, it will all go on again.