Jogging Commuters

steveo

I see these red-faced specimens slogging past my house morning and evening, rucksacks slapping against their sweaty backs, dodging bikes, buses and kids on scooters.

How far are they going? The station? Camberwell? Lombard Street? Are they in training or are they just poor? What do their workmates make of the fragrance arising from their desks?

I can only think it's a ghastly import from America or Australia and I hope no one from the forum indulges in this uncivilised behaviour.

These people are the types who like to think they're living in Los Angeles or Sydney, and try to emulate that outdoors lifestyle in a city which is, let's face it, damp and wet a lot of the time. No doubt after such self induced physical activity they too are a little damp under the pits too. Their poor work colleagues putting up with that pen and ink every day!

Louisa.

If I don't cycle, I sometimes run in to work in South Ken (~10k) and is a great way to get the weekly mileage up and start of the day. As Jeremy said I perform a ritual called "showering" before I get to my desk (as does literally every other person I know who does it); so actually probably fresher than the people traveling in on the sweaty, humid, and overcrowded peasant wagons Southeastern and Southern provide ;)

Yep. A shower helps. I don't see the problem to be honest; health benefits (in a society that's getting fatter and unhealthier) and fewer people on public transport. Same category as cycle commuting, but with less equipment. If I didn't hate running so much, I might even give it a shot.

Joggers always look ill to me. If you continue to run on concrete you'll bugger up your joints and suffer terrible arthritis later on in life.

Oh, and Jim Fixx, the fella who wrote The Complete Book Of Running and helped to popularize jogging across the world died of a heart attack aged 52. When? When he was out jogging, that's when.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Joggers always look ill to me. If you continue to

> run on concrete you'll bugger up your joints and

> suffer terrible arthritis later on in life.

>

> Oh, and Jim Fixx, the fella who wrote The Complete

> Book Of Running and helped to popularize jogging

> across the world died of a heart attack aged 52.

> When? When he was out jogging, that's when.

You beat me to it Jah. I agree physical activity and caring for your health are commendable but jogging on pavements next to cars and lorries spewing out exhaust fumes while you are running next to them, hardly conducive to well being is it?

As the wonderful Bill Hicks put it: I'm Jim Fixx and I'm dead now. And I don't know what the f*ck happened. I jogged every day, ate nothing but tofu, swam five hundred laps every morning. Yul Bryner drank, smoke, and got laid every night of his life, Yul Bryner's smokin', drinkin', girls are sitting on his cueball noggin, every night of his life! He's dead. Shit!

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Joggers always look ill to me. If you continue to

> run on concrete you'll bugger up your joints and

> suffer terrible arthritis later on in life.

That's not really true though. Just Google it and you'll find it's subtler and quite different than running->arthritis.

>

> Oh, and Jim Fixx, the fella who wrote The Complete

> Book Of Running and helped to popularize jogging

> across the world died of a heart attack aged 52.

> When? When he was out jogging, that's when.

Yeah, my old man used to roll this one out to uproarious laughter when his mates would come round to play chess, drink spritzers and chain smoke. On the face of it an indictment of jogging, but there were genetic (his old man died of a heart attack at 42), and stress related factors in play with Jim Fixx.

And as for breathing fumes in, well, you know, it's London. The best way to avoid them is to stay indoors.

Like I said, I hate running, I'm not built for it and I find it dull. But I'm pretty sure the health benefits of a couple hours jogging a week, even on London's polluted streets, outweigh the negatives.

Parkdrive Wrote:

> Jah Lush Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Joggers always look ill to me. If you continue

> to

> > run on concrete you'll bugger up your joints

> and

> > suffer terrible arthritis later on in life.

> >

> > Oh, and Jim Fixx, the fella who wrote The

> Complete

> > Book Of Running and helped to popularize

> jogging

> > across the world died of a heart attack aged

> 52.

> > When? When he was out jogging, that's when.

>

> You beat me to it Jah. I agree physical activity

> and caring for your health are commendable but

> jogging on pavements next to cars and lorries

> spewing out exhaust fumes while you are running

> next to them, hardly conducive to well being is

> it?

If you lived by that attitude you'd never go outside without breathing apparatus! I'm pretty sure the health benefits from running/cycling outweighs the negative effects from pollution. Other factors like a shorter time in traffic because you are moving quicker may come into play etc.

This is getting a little bit "My Nan smoked 50 a day and lived to 92"

Leave the runners alone, nothing beats a good bit of excercise to lift the mood and keep the body leaner. One of the best high's I've had is from running.

And yeah, Jim Fixx died of a heart attack, up until then I'd say he was a happy man

I'm a bike man now, but loved the running day

Ah, let's not get self righteous on some of our lazy arses about health benefits. Anyway, I take more of a Buddhist approach to exercise, which to the untrained eye looks rather like a large man laying on a bed smoking a cigarette and drinking a cup of coffee.

I've run to work for the best part of ten years. I currently run 10k to work three times a week; cycle the other two. I'm stout too; a wobbly Ron even. And in my late forties.

It's a good idea if it works for you. Your journey is a guaranteed time and it means you're using time you'd spend on your arse on a train or bus getting fit. The impact on your bones tendons etc argument is nonsense - it strengthens them.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Ah, let's not get self righteous on some of our

> lazy arses about health benefits. Anyway, I take

> more of a Buddhist approach to exercise, which to

> the untrained eye looks rather like a large man

> laying on a bed smoking a cigarette and drinking a

> cup of coffee.

I'm a fan of this exercise approach too haha!

taper Wrote:

> The impact on your bones tendons etc

> argument is nonsense - it strengthens them.

Depends on the individual... but if you try too much too soon, or you're overweight, or have bad technique (or a naturally awkward gait)... running can certainly cause damage - sometimes lasting. And if you already are starting to suffer from arthritis in the knees, it will probably make it worse.

Of course not everyone who runs will suffer such problems. And as with so many things, it's a matter of moderation.

That's certainly true. I knackered my hip flexor second time I went for a run. But you can build up your resilience and learn to run in a low impact way. I've had to do that because I am heavy (16-18 stone)

I used to run to work and back when I was training for the marathon. It was a good way to start the day (harder on the way home). Just as quick as public transport (this says more about public transport than my running abilities by the way). Of course you shower and change when you get to work (why do you think people have backpacks on). Not sure why it should bother anyone.

Now a days I do very little exercise at all, to my shame.

I walk to work (ED yo Borough High St) when the weather's clement. Through Green Dale, Camberwell and Walworth. Perfectly pleasant back streets, lots to see and not many fumes. With the bonus that I'm not smelly when I get into the office. Takes just over an hour.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Ah, let's not get self righteous on some of our

> lazy arses about health benefits. Anyway, I take

> more of a Buddhist approach to exercise, which to

> the untrained eye looks rather like a large man

> laying on a bed smoking a cigarette and drinking a

> cup of coffee.

Ah, I love that image Jah