Hipsters have stolen my favourite drink....

DovertheRoad

The Negroni. An Italian classic that has been around for almost a century unadulterated because it works.

I'm all up for evolution when it's an improvement but "barrel aged" just isn't. And pre-bottled Negroni is just lazy. Half the fun is making the sucker.

Anyone else got something (no Lou not this thread please) they love that hipsters have messed with to its detriment please post it here.

/message ends/

DovertheRoad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Positive shit too. For what it's worth I thought

> the brioche bun was a decent upgrade to the

> burger.

Not so keen here DR. I prefer my savoury food savoury.

Agree with Mick Mac..

I do not eat many Burgers but sweet brioche not for me..

A good Sourdough bun is better . IMHO.

The Bishop (when they first opened) used to do one of the best burgers.. In a sourdough bun

served with the usual tomato and lettuce and with chilli sauce and Stokes Tomato Ketchup.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

> As for drinks..

>

> Guinness Extra Cold.. OK it's easier to pour. but

> where to get the normal stuff.

>

> It's as rare as Hens Teeth..

>

The Castle. Franklins. The Ivy House. The Great Exhibition. Off the top of my head.

I'm waiting for the light and bitter to make a comeback. My summertime drink in the 80s. Nowadays it would come pre-mixed in an artisanal bottle, which would spoil the main advantage of a light and bitter ? there's always more than a half of bitter in the pint glass, so over the evening you gain at least another pint. If you have enough of them, that is...

I'm hoping that the hipster penchant for exaggerated facial hair will be the death knell of the worst annual charity event of the Western calendar: Movember. With its peer pressure to perform upper lip experimentation, and the embarrassment of unexpected copper tones and accidental razor slips.

With any luck, men will cease their seasonal striving for the Handlebar, the Toothbrush, the Walrus, and other abominations, fearing that they may accidentally become hipsters through the act of facial hair styling. Good riddance Movember!

(And before anyone complains that it's all in a good cause, can we all just agree to check at least one testis a week, see a doctor if you're ill, and generally be excellent to each other. I think that covers all the main goals.)

I've actually been operating a rival event to Movember for some time. It's called No-vember. The thing is you have *no* moustache at all during the month of November. It's proven extremely popular, with almost the entire female population participating, for example.

Best Guinness is of course in the Blythe. I used to prefer Murphys but aint seen that for years. But neither are proper ales and there were plenty of porters and proper stouts around before everything was rebranded as craft ale bollox.

So back to my history

Snake bite was generally drunk when the ale was bad. Funny how horrid larger and horrid cider could taste ok together. Ditto for poor man's black velvet - Guinness and cider aka diesel. Horrified when I first came to London and they tried to put blackcurrant into my snake bite (even worse, pernod - 'purple nasty').

They also used to serve larger and blackcurrant when I was a kid (as well as larger and lime) so sod anyone who thinks alcopopos are a recent thing. Most pubs wouldn't do the latter as it discoloured the slops that went back into the dark mild cask.

We used to serve 'mixed' (bitter and dark mild), Micky Mouse (larger and bitter) and Donald Duck (larger and mild). Not heard of those for ages.

when I was more of a boozer and tried to max out on free drinks when they were then provided on short haul flights I used to ask for Baileys ane brandy (and perhaps Tia Maria?).

Briefly also tried Special Brew and barley wine. Good heavens.

Not exactly the world/league of Ollie Reed and Richard Harris though.

malumbu Wrote:

> We used to serve 'mixed' (bitter and dark mild),

> Micky Mouse (larger and bitter) and Donald Duck

> (larger and mild). Not heard of those for ages.

Along with brown and mild, light and lager, brown and bitter, black and tan etc.

> Briefly also tried Special Brew and barley wine.

> Good heavens.

Barley wine and blackcurrant - the cheapest (quickest) way to oblivion for any young chap - topped up with rum and black - if you were on a spree - made for spectacular vomit.

Cans of Colt45 and shots of Pernod (sans black) were favourites as they were the only drinks unscrupulous landlords couldn't water down.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Sue, there's warm Guinness available off the top

> of your head ?

> That's WELL cool !

:))

ETA: It's not warm, it's just not Extra Cold :))

Blimey Malumbu

I used to drink 'mixed' Young special and a light ale. They were the days, over on Parsons Green at The Duke of Cumberland , when it was an old man's Youngs house proper

I'd clear forgotten about that

At one point in my younger days I used to buy a pint of lager, drink half of it then top it back up with one of those Smirnoff Ice drinks. It was called a turbo shandy.

I remember there being quite a trend in the early 90s for snakebite & black with added pernod, but I just hate the taste of pernod so never really got in to that.

Jeremy Wrote:

> "Ram and Special" is a thing at Young's pubs, I

> believe. Half a Special and a bottle of Ramrod.

>

> Not sure why.

An ex of mine used to drink that in the early eighties .... I'm not sure why either :)

Special of its own will have you over, the bottle tempers the whole thing

For a bit anyway. Plus it's a signal to other Youngs users, it's like a quite " he know what's what" which in the arse end of Wandsworth isn't a bad thing