Homeless!!

right-clicking

Southwark council in their wisdom have decided to end my stay in a homeless unit in forest hill, as of Monday the 6th, I will be put out onto the streets, I do still have my car and at least I am not physically on the street.

Nobody it seems will take in someone in receipt of benefits. even the scruffy cards in newsagents windows stipulate this discrimination. I am on Employment support allowance due to an on-going back condition, this will only worsen sleeping in a cramped car, I am pulling myself apart with worry. I am a 58 year old and in remission from cancer. Could anyone find a place in their heart and home and help a man down on his luck and knees?

A big ask I know!

Ian

Hi Ian,

I am afraid I can't offer you accommodation, but have you approached charities like the Connection at St Martins in the Fields? They can offer advice, support and have a night shelter:

https://www.connection-at-stmartins.org.uk/what-we-do/

Also contact a local law centre or Shelter advice line: 0808 800 4444

Shelter's helpline is open 8am ? 8pm on weekdays and 8am ? 5pm on weekends, 365 days a year.

"Our housing experts will advise you, no matter what your housing situation.

Calls are free from UK landlines and all major UK mobile operators."[http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/how_we_can_help/housing_advice_helpline].

I hope you find a solution soon.

Best wishes, Ilona

Hi Ian,

That's very sad to hear, I hope the advice above has helped you find somewhere. I can't imagine how worried you must be or what this does to your physical health (let alone your mental health!)I wish I were able to help & hope there's someone out there who can.

Best wishes to you & keep posting if you can.

Katie

This is terrible if I had a room I would let you have it, my charity has always been the homeless and I hate the fact that a rich Western land still have homeless people and it's growing sadly if you are a single person you got no chance with housing go to MP, shout as much as you can if they can find room for people coming here with nothing then they should help you

I wish you all the very best in life and hope life will be kind to you

The sally army does amazing things

Keep in touch

Gaynor

Hi Ian,

In case you would like more sources of information and support, also have a look at Providence Row in East London [http://www.providencerow.org.uk/what-we-do] - they offer:

A resource centre for people who are rough sleeping, with breakfast, showers and access to IT.

Advice and support for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.

Recovery and progression for people whose mental health and substance misuse issues are affecting their ability to

find and stay in accommodation.

Trainee schemes to help people with complex needs to move into regular learning, volunteering or work.

Hi Ian, have you lived in Southwark for a long time? If it's over a certain time (sorry not sure at moment but it used to be 6 months) then make sure you have registered on the Housing waiting list. You may get extra points for your health problems so make sure your application has a medical assessment attached to it. Above all, be prepared to make a huge fuss, contact councillors, MP, shelter etc etc. In any dealings you have with Housing department keep a full and accurate record of every tiny thing, always get a receipt for any paperwork you give them.

Sorry can't be of more practical help.

K.

A big thanks goes out to all of those kind souls that have offered their advice and support, Alas this still leaves me without accommodation, I have had one forumite offer to pay for a few nights at the peckham lodge!! But this is just delaying the inevitable.

I have been trawling the net looking for advice and leads but a lot of what is on offer is localised, I think all of the authorities and charities have been inundated with requests, not surprising they have to refer you back to where you hail from. Another hurdle is being referred a lot of the various agencies operate on this basis and it's not simply a matter of turning up.

I really am at whits end. Family I have none, Friends are not able or willing. Shit street without a paddle.

Sorry to hear about your situation Ian, Lambeths housing activists are holding a mesting in Brixton

Tomorrow, details on link. It's a long shot but you may meet people there who can help or advise.

http://radicalhousingnetwork.org/

It used to be some councils had a list of private lets, where the rents were below or at the price housing benefit would pay. Things have changed so

much I don't know if that is still the case.maybe if you can get the housing benefit to put in writing the limit they would pay, you may be able

to show this to landlord.

Shelter do face to face appts (lambeth) which can

be arranged over phone.

I hope you gef somewhere soon Ian.

Property guardians want employed people only.

Have Southwark issued a Section 184 letter? Have you asked for a review and accommodation pending the review? Have you got a solicitor involved? If not then you need to as often this will tip the balance in your favour and you should be able to get legal aid for the case.

These are the first steps to take. I would also contact Shelter if you cannot find a solicitor to take the case on as they will provide excellent free advice and may help you challenge Southwarks's decision. Basically you need to prove that you are significantly more vulnerable than the ordinary person who is homeless. I would suggest that the ordinary person is not in remission from cancer so you can use this. It will be dependent on what treatment you are having at the moment and evidence from your consultant may well be key. Ensure Southwark have made these enquiries when you ask for a case review. Do not leave it long as the review period is time limited.

Best of luck!

Following on from Ratty and previous advice, get CAB Peckham or Southwark Disablement Association (tel: 020-7701-1391) to refer you to Southwark Law Centre (unfortunately need referral and cannot self-refer) or try Cambridge House Law Centre (tel: 0207 358 7025). The lawyers at both centres have been of tremendous help to clients in the past.

It is really hard in London all around for housing. If you can move out of London, you may be able to find a landlord who will take you on HB. The coastal towns around the SE still do take tenants on HB. That may be your only option moving forward and they have very good health and support centres.

Good Luck

Again I thank all the kind souls that have contributed to this thread, I am totally amazed that there are people out there that do give a F*%k! I am even more amazed that this kindness has evolved into one man paying for 5 nights in a cheap hotel! a second offer has also been given, I am so humbled and relieved, a bit of breathing space and a chance to rest my poor back! I had thought of relocating down to the coast as when I do manage to secure a place I will always struggle with the high costs of London I like many others before and no doubt many others after have been priced out of my birthplace.

Thanks again.

Ian