England World Cup 1974

malumbu

We've reflected on 66 and 70 and there is plenty of stuff on 96 at the moment.

Spare a thought for 73-74 where sadly it was two famous stalwarts - Bobby Moore and Peter Shilton, who got us kicked out (although some would argue it was the 0-0 against Wales).

Good footage here on the two Poland matches (one follows on automatically)

England being kicked out was unbelievable to me as a 12 year old.

• 2 weeks later...

Well shame we weren't so young in 1974. A braver decison to drop Moore from the first leg and then Shilton from the second would have seen us through. Ramsey would have stayed longer, avoiding the embarasement of that dreadful Admiral kit. Revie would have stayed at Leeds. Clough would have gone elsewhere. Forest would have never won the European Cup. A stonge Leeds would have kept Liverpool in their place. We would done well in Germany, building on this in 1978. This would have given a boost to James Callaghan and Thatcher wouldn't have got in. Heysel wouldn't have happened and a strong Leed and less strong Liverpool would have dominated Europe for twenty years. Man U would have had a genearation of indifference. Terracing, cheap tickets and no Sky money (or the premiership) would mean that Chelski and Man C would yo you between the divisions. This would open the door to Arse and Spurs, but also smaller clubs - QPR, Palace, Ipswich etc would have some good seasons.

So sentimentality and lack of ruthlessness led to the mess we are in now.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• @Chickis this your area of expertise? 
    • We have bees nesting in our chimney, which is currently being repaired by builders who aren't bee enthusiasts... any beekeepers out there with any suggestions re what to do? Can they be moved?
    • I can thoroughly recommend Aria. He came at very short notice to carry out urgent repairs on a leaking pipe, did an excellent job and his was extremely patient and polite. I wouldn't hesitate to turn to him again. 
    • I have had two separate incidents of moped drivers deliberately crashing into our car which I believe is part of a wider insurance scam. From what I can gather, they target female drivers who are alone or with kids in high value vehicles (of which I was one). On both occasions for me this involved a moped driver signalling to me to cross a junction and when I pulled away driving deliberately and at speed into the car. Then Jumping up and immediately taking photographs and videos of the car. I’m expecting a bogus insurance claim to follow. i’m posting this in part for awareness and also out of interest to see if it’s happening to other people. One of my friends has also been targeted in a similar way.   If this does happen, please report it to the police and your insurance company. Unfortunately, the police haven’t pursued, my cases and to be honest it doesn’t matter as no one was hurt and there was minimal damage, but this is dangerous practice and the more people that report it the more likely it is the action will be taken.   Has anybody witnessed this or had a similar thing happened to them? 
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In