Picture rails - 1930s house

Righty

Hi all,

We are reinstating the picture rails in our 1930s house and believe that there would have been one in the hallway - is that right?

If so - how does it work on the wall going up the stairs?

Grateful for any help on this - we can't work it out!!

Thanks,

Righty

A dado rail would've originally run up the staircase, but I don't think a picture rail did...if they did it would've been difficult to hang any pictures on them :)

What tends to happen is the the picture rail in the hall stops by running into a pillar or ornate cornice, usually in line with the wall separating the front and back reception rooms. Some houses don't have ceilings high enough to get the proper effect, maybe yours fall into this category? Post a pic of your hall/staircase, difficult to comment without seeing what it looks like...

Thanks Red Devil,

I think the ceilings are ok - I'll try and put a photo on tonight. It was more trying to figure out how to finish off the picture on the wall running up the stairs (in some photos I've seen it then runs vertically into the ceiling, in others it runs horizontally until it meets the skirting point but neither seem satisfactory somehow!).

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I pulled all the picture rails off in my house

> (bar a couple of rooms). It's way nicer and less

> dust too

Did you also put up Wood-chip Wallpaper, Scallop shell artex and fake Russian Oak beams..

Looks really impressive if you get the professionals in to do it.

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Seabag Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I pulled all the picture rails off in my house

> > (bar a couple of rooms). It's way nicer and

> less

> > dust too

>

> Did you also put up Wood-chip Wallpaper, Scallop

> shell artex and fake Russian Oak beams..

> Looks really impressive if you get the

> professionals in to do it.

>

> Foxy

No, the picture rails were 1915, my house never originally had them as built in 1880's

So in short they were an early modernisation.

My sash windows are painted in the original sack tan colour and my roof is slate and lead, each bedroom and bathroom fire places are intact, except the lower two which blew out and were replaced with a later period version

I've restored the original front door and painted it the blue colour I found in places where the iron gutter clips are

In all it's very much of the original

So stick that in your pipe and smoke it Foxy

Have a lovely Friday

:))

My house was also built in the 1880's 1887

It cost ?70 back then and the rent was ?5. per annum.

Will have a lovely Friday .. Thanks

Just have to watch Eastenders to cheer me up before I head off out for a Vegetable Biryani and a beer or two.

Foxy