EU Petition

JOHNNYBOY

And 17.2m votes should be ignored because you don't agree with the result?

What is it about democracy that you don't quite understand? A majority of more than 1.2m wins it.

Get over it. This is an historic result. You'll be boring your grandchildren about it with tales of how you were part of it in years to come.

It's heading towards 700,000 now. When I signed yesterday, it took a few hours to get the email link to officially submit my name - so watch your mails!

There might have been a majority, but I have concerns regarding the vote itself. People have already said they turned up and their vote was already made (along with example of someone's vote been completed by proxy, a proxy that had not been asked for.

I was registered to vote, but was concerned I'd have to travel, so I registered for a postal vote. In response, I received a letter to say that I was already registered. I knew this, so essentially they didn't register for me to vote by post, so I had to make I didn't travel on the day of the vote. What about people who tried to do the same but couldn't avoid travel? I

keano77 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And 17.2m votes should be ignored because you

> don't agree with the result?

>

> What is it about democracy that you don't quite

> understand? A majority of more than 1.2m wins it.

>

> Get over it. This is an historic result. You'll be

> boring your grandchildren about it with tales of

> how you were part of it in years to come.

I agree, it's sour grapes. We've had the vote, now let's move on.

We are lucky that we live in a Democracy.. Where we have a voting system that is fair..

There are Dictatorships where Elections are rigged and there is no real chice..

People that vote 'the wrong way' dissapear.

Thousands died in Chile under the Military Dictatorship of General Pinochet (1973?90)

8,000 people were held in a stadium where they were .. tortured and murdered.

Victor Jara https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%ADctor_Jara

Is this what people want..

This petition will go nowhere.. and God help us if it ever did..

DulwichFox

I hammer Wrote:

> I agree, it's sour grapes. We've had the vote, now let's move on.

This is a massive, irreversible decision. Given it was so close, I don't think it unreasonable to ask "are you sure".

If you are so confident this is what the country actually wants, you will have no problem with the question being re-asked.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> We are lucky that we live in a Democracy.. Where

> we have a voting system that is fair..

>

> There are Dictatorships where Elections are

> rigged and there is no real chice..

> People that vote 'the wrong way' dissapear.

>

> Thousands died in Chile under the Military

> Dictatorship of General Pinochet (1973?90)

> 8,000 people were held in a stadium where they

> were .. tortured and murdered.

>

> Victor Jara

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%ADctor_Jara

>

> Is this what people want..

>

> This petition will go nowhere.. and God help us

> if it ever did..

>

> DulwichFox

I personally, reluctantly, agree that we've had the referendum and the result should be binding. But implying that somehow having a rerun is going to end in a dictatorship with people being tortured and executed is one of the most risible things I've read in this whole debate.

I have to say whilst I hate the result, a second referendum based on a petition is laughable. Perhaps there will be one when the reality of the situation comes to pass but that is another issue. (Johnson's original idea I believe).

I do think it's sad that reportedly people have been phoning up asking how they change their vote. The word dickheads springs to mind!

DulwichFox Wrote:

> NOBODY questioned the referendum voting system

> when it seemed very likely that Remain would

> win..

I'd accept another vote on the same conditions. I think within six months of the hell we are about to face, there will be more than enough Brexitters regretting their decision. There's probably enough already.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> NOBODY questioned the referendum voting system

> when it seemed very likely that Remain would

> win..

>

> Cameron would NEVER of set up the referendum if

> he had not believed the same...

>

> Complacency and smugness lost out. Get on with

> it..

>

> DulwichFox

Yes they did, plenty of Brexiters, including Boris, said that if the vote was lost by less than 5% another referendum would have to be held in the near future.

yes but it is even MORE democratic to have a further referendum when we know what the conditions set by the EU will be for trade and residency, so I have signed. my guess is that THAT vote will be a landslide against. It is UNDEMOCRATIC to have a single referendum because it implies everyone stays the same and their vote is no longer of any interest.

DF, Louisa, et al are convenient local scapegoats - i know they love being contrary, but its not worth beating them up. i'm sure that I'd also have an up-yours reaction if loads of EDF posters started wagging their fingers at me in a blaming sort of way

the point is that they are just the local reps of the more than 17 millon people out there who voted Out; the Remain campaign and supprters were unable to find a water-tight and convincing argument to subvert the up-yours vote, which is what we've ended up with.

petitions aren't going to help.

democracy has spoken and there's nothing we in the minority can or should do now.

an object lesson in why there are so few referenda, except in places like Switzerland, another 'Out' paradise which however has the advantage of being smack in the middle of Europe. this is why there are ever more elaborate voting systems being continually dreamed up, to ensure that the final result is representative and workable.

bloody depressing.

yesterday, grown men and women were in tears where i work, and not with tears of joy at being 'back in control'

nothing we can do until a new Prime Minister is found - resigning was the best thing Cameron did, rather than limping on as a lame duck.

anything that we do in the mean time is just marking time.

and something else to hope for is that Osborne also calls it a day and hands over to someone less hung-up on the benefits of austerity

rendelharris Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > We are lucky that we live in a Democracy..

> Where

> > we have a voting system that is fair..

> >

> > There are Dictatorships where Elections are

> > rigged and there is no real chice..

> > People that vote 'the wrong way' dissapear.

> >

> > Thousands died in Chile under the Military

> > Dictatorship of General Pinochet (1973?90)

> > 8,000 people were held in a stadium where

> they

> > were .. tortured and murdered.

> >

> > Victor Jara

> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V%C3%ADctor_Jara

> >

> > Is this what people want..

> >

> > This petition will go nowhere.. and God help

> us

> > if it ever did..

> >

> > DulwichFox

>

> I personally, reluctantly, agree that we've had

> the referendum and the result should be binding.

> But implying that somehow having a rerun is going

> to end in a dictatorship with people being

> tortured and executed is one of the most risible

> things I've read in this whole debate.

FFS.. I never said that or suggested that would happen ..

I said we are lucky to live in a country where we have a fair system.. unlike some countries where there is no such system.

Like .. Syria.. Iraq.. Libya.. many more.. Many African nations..

If we backtrack on any democratic vote that does not suit some individuals we lose our democracy..

I suspect there are those not willing to embrace democracy and the outcome of any democratic decision that does not suit them.

DulwichFox

Petitions will help, they are the start of the political process to get us back into the EU. It's important that voices are heard. After all it was the relative success of UKIP and Cameron's fear of Eurosceptics in his own party, that helped trigger the Referendum in the first place. If we say nothing they won't think there's a problem. Do you think UKIP would've given up if the vote had been close the other way?

There is going to be a general election at some point, I expect there to be a pro-EU block that hopefully would gain power, and therefore legitimately call for another Referendum. The decision to leave might be irreversible once Article 50 kicks in, but that doesn't mean we can't rejoin in the future..if they'll have us again.

The other hope is that we are allowed another Referendum once we know the terms of all the deals that need to be set up, so people know exactly what the consequences of Brexit mean...

How will signing thos petition change anything? On this basis the whole voting system will have to change. If I vote for the tories in the next general election and labour get in. Does that then mean all tory voters can demand a re-election?