Increased xenophobia/racism

Azira

I've had a few people tell me to go back to where I come from in the past few weeks. I've now had a 3rd generation British friend of Indian decent get told "Brexit! F*ck off paki" in the street and another be told to go home despite being white British because he looks like a bit of rasta.

Have Leave given the fascists a licence to unleash their real feelings?

What uncleglen just said has made me weep. But then I thought maybe I misunderstood him. Then I re-read your post UG and realised I don't understand it all.

So - Genuine Question - are you saying it would be OK to call me or my kids names or tell us to go home on the grounds you think we are German?

I think he's saying that the little racist sh1ts think they have licence to do it because EU law no longer applies, without realising that racism being illegal is not based in EU law.

FWIW, I don't think that's why racists think they can get away with this now.

So, my direct personal experience in last 36 hours (me being a very pasty looking forever-on-this-island generation white woman who tries to be bi-lingual and has genuinely bilingual, European children whom I will sometimes address in German when English apparently falls on deaf little ears):

Newly de-friended former face book friend, whom I've known from reception class at a south Croydon primary school sent me a meme of a WW2 statue of an allied soldier explaining to a group of children gathered at his feet, "This is what it was all for."

Sister of above person (now blocked on fb) pm'ing me that the world was going to be shit scared now England (ha - she lives in Wales) is "rising up" to take back their country. (Those last four words she really did get from Farage.)

You stupid bitch shouted at me yesterday near Peckham rye, by a thug on a bike (when I was calling out to my kids in German). But I don't know. Maybe he "just" meant I was an idiot to let my children stray so far.

As we are sharing (i deleted my earlier post). I was told on return frm holiday on Friday to "fck off back to my own country" at Gatwick.I was so shocked and humiliated tht I didnt even tell my husband.

We are just seeing the beginning of this, alot more of this is to come.

Hugs to everyone x

Jesus christ...and we're in London!!! I'm sending all of you hugs. I've been called a paki only once and my honest to god reaction was "no, I'm Indian"...and then I realised he was being racist. But now it seems I can look forward to this in our own little enclave where over 70% voted remain. It is so heartbreaking.

But jaywalker there is no "leading" politician at the moment. See my response to your dialectic, whatever, your saying I am fantasising on the petition thread. I am not fantasising, by the way, but trying to explain the way our constitution works.

jaywalker Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sky News this hour reporting multiple incidents of

> racism in London, as relayed already by many on

> this Forum. No leading politician has yet said

> anything about this - it is a disgrace.

I agree, devsdev (thank you) but am also so proud and happy to live in London. The thug who shouted at me was cycling past, and I am small, and I was alone. He knows he is surrounded in London by people who would leap to my defence if they had heard him.

Honestly, I didn't even take it personally, and hesitated to share it at all.

But I do think that it is a sign of the inevitable, well warned, well predicted, empowerment of the far right, at home and abroad (see Le Pen, Trump's responses) that Leave always was going to bring about.

(For clarity, i am not for a moment suggesting that this was the intention of all or even most Leave voters.)

WM x

devsdev Wrote:

> Jesus christ...and we're in London!!! I'm sending

> all of you hugs. I've been called a paki only once

> and my honest to god reaction was "no, I'm

> Indian"...and then I realised he was being racist.

> But now it seems I can look forward to this in our

> own little enclave where over 70% voted remain. It

> is so heartbreaking.

WorkingMummy Wrote:

> But jaywalker there is no "leading" politician at the moment.

Normally, I don't have a lot of time for her, but Nicola Sturgeon is the only "leader" worthy of the title in the country at the moment. Cameron's a lame duck, Corbyn a dead duck and Fallon seems to have completely ducked out if sight.

Bunch of complete duckers, the lot of them.

I agree, Loz. She is completely untainted. And has carried herself so well. She is really going to come into her own.

I am not predicting it will happen but I would bet money that the Queen is currently being counselled as to whether, post devolution, her constitutional prerogative to appoint a PM allows her to choose one from the Scottish Parliament (or Welsh assembly). Obviously such a step might well enrage Ruritania and is therefore probably out of the question. But her constitutional advisors will be drawing up all options lists.

And if you translate the referendum result into a first past the post GE (which normally dictates choice of PM), she probably does lead the single biggest party. Farage, Gove, Boris, always split "Leave", and now are in shambles. Ditto Tories and Labour. Libs no parliamentary presence at all. So if you award popularity points to political parties as well as you can looking at the 48.1/52.9 split, who do you look to first?

OK, my apologies. the term 'fantasy' was not meant as an attack. Which of us in this matter is not ruled by our imaginations? I have responded about 'dialectic' in other thread.

I agree it would be good if an outsider could take command of a govt of national unity. I think this will happen anyway, but tragically only after considerable torment the beginnings of which we are already seeing.

Blah Blah Wrote:

> This is just shocking and unacceptable. And it

> seems people who aren't even here from the EU are

> being attacked, which just shows the level of

> logic these racists and xenophobes operate on.

In my opinion, the anti-Eastern European sentiment that's been particularly strong for a couple of years (remember scare stories about Romania and Bulgaria?), has always been displacement of sentiments about other groups that even idiots know you're not allowed to be racist about. It is logical to me that once you open season on one group of people, this was going to follow.