Recommend a route to WC2H Shaftesbury Ave please?

MrsD

Can anyone recommend a good route from Peckham Rye to WC2H on Shaftesbury Avenue (near junction with High Holborn) please? Nearest tube Tottenham Court Rd, but also in reach are Holborn and Leicester Square.

Husband has started a new job and has been trying various TFL suggestions but it's taking him 90mins to get home, partly due to random delays, but still crazy!

Thank you!

1 Northern Line to Elephant and Castle/Stockwell then bus

2 The 176 bus from Aldwych

3 Northern Line to Waterloo, Jubilee to London Bridge, train to Peckham Rye

4 Northern Line to Waterloo, Jubilee to Canada Water, Overground to Peckham Rye

5 Treat the TfL planner with a pinch of salt

From August, he could walk down to Charing Cross and get a train to London Bridge, then onto Peckham Rye, which would be much cheaper.

None of these options apart from the bus should take more than 40 minutes

It's not perfect - but Citymapper beats TFL in my experience:

https://citymapper.com/directions?departure_time=2016-07-08T16%3A30%3A00.000Z&endcoord=51.47004%2C-0.06941&endname=Peckham+Rye&startcoord=51.51351%2C-0.127179&startname=WC2H

Appears that northern line to overground (off at Clapham North walk to Clapham High street) is an option, as is getting to Victoria and taking a train. 90 minutes seems extreme, even taking the slow-ish 176 from Leicester Square to Goose Green never usually takes me more than 60-70 minutes.

Don't forget also that walking distances are quite short around there, you could easily get to Piccadilly Circus from that location in 10 minutes, then Bakerloo to Elephant and Castle, then either a bus or Thameslink (if feeling like a challenge) to Peckham Rye

You can go Peckham Rye to City Thameslink and walk a mile or so (20 mins).

(My take on this stuff is that multiple changes add uncertainty and have knock-on effects. A long walk on the other side might be slower on paper, but it's a controllable time).

Lazero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Appears that northern line to overground (off at

> Clapham North walk to Clapham High street) is an option

That would be my suggestion.

If the trains ever return to a half decent service (i.e. useable frequency to LB, and LB to CX service reinstated), then that would be my preferred route.

Never the bus!

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To Elephant & Castle on train (10 mins?) then

> Bakerloo to Piccadilly Circus (10 mins) then walk

> - Shaftesbury Avenue isn't that long (maybe

> another 10 mins)

Add 10 mins to walk down to the tube at E&C. Problem is that Thameslink is unreliable, infrequent, and can get very very crowded.

I always have a bike in my vehicle, which I park up and ride the rest of whatever journey

When I'm in my office at Canary Warf, I cycle everywhere to see client, or jump the tube at a push

Health benifits and the sheer freedom is awesome, plus riding the canals as a cut through East to North is good

I think you got to mix it up, I'm just about to buy my second Brompton (wore the first one out, it's dead)

There's so many cycle paths now