Applying for UK citizenship

Monkey

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to speak to EEA nationals who've been granted UK citizenship (or going through the process). I'm a bit lost. The www.gov.uk website tells me I need a residence card before I can apply for citizenship but when I download the application form, none of the options seem to apply to me. Can anyone help please?

Thank you.

Monkey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> when I download the

> application form, none of the options seem to

> apply to me. Can anyone help please?

That may simply mean you're not eligible. Not everyone is, and if you're not a qualified person, or a family member of one, then it looks like you can't apply.

I would help if I could, but I'd need to know more about what you're doing here - in the nicest possible sense. That's probably not best done on a public forum, so PM me if someone else hasn't offered already. Possibly better than that would be to contact Citizens Advice, who may be able to help directly or, if not, put you in touch with an organisation that can.

Before all that, though, make sure the page and form you're looking at are the proper .gov.uk ones. There are a lot of scammers out there trying to make a fast buck, especially now, and the information on their sites is often deliberately wrong and confusing.

Thank you, Burbage. I'm eligible. I've finally found the option that fits me buried at the bottom of a page. Now hunting for payslips and proof of address... Might call Citizen Advice Bureau for help too, good idea. Thanks!

Hi Monkey,

[long time lurker, first time poster]

If you've been resident in the UK for at least five continuous years then you'll be eligible to apply for Permanent Residence (PR also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain or ILR). They changed the law last November requiring EEA nationals to apply for PR first before they can apply for Naturalisation. Before November, you could simply apply for Naturalisation after six years.

Here is the form for PR: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/505032/EEA_PR__03-16.pdf

It will take them 6 months to process though you can request your passport back once it's been submitted via the online form here: https://eforms.homeoffice.gov.uk/outreach/Return_of_Documents.ofml

Once you have PR, you can apply for Naturalisation (takes another 6 months!)

Hope this helps

tsm83

Hi monkey on monday i have sent the application form eea for the request of the permanent residence certificate . you have to send to them at least 2 proof of activities per year plus 2 proof of residence per year . ( 5 years without gap) .

and the application for of 86 pages ( no need to print all if you dont have children or if you are not married ) .

2 photo of you ( passport photo), plus pay 65 pound per person , and an i.d. ..and that is all :)

DaveR Wrote:

> It should be noted that neither using the official

> form nor sending all the docs set out in the

> guidance is actually a legal requirement - the

> permanent residence right is automatically

> acquired by EU/domestic law and the card is only

> evidence of it.

>

> See advice here:

>

> https://www.freemovement.org.uk/how-to-make-a-perm

> anent-residence-application/

While this is certainly true, not using the form increases the risk of refusal (due to misunderstandings) and will definitely delay the application. Not sending the requested documents will definitely lead to refusal as they bet most people won't bother to go to court for the sake of ?65 to re-apply.

The Home Office's EEA team in Liverpool is completely overwhelmed at the moment and they've had half their staff moved to the Nationality Team to help deal with the backlog there.

The team's been increasing the rate of refusal recently, usually incorrectly, and I think they're plugging the gaps with inexperienced temps.

I just posted everything today and it was a nightmare pulling it together as my qualifying period was 2001 to 2006, to prove absences I had to take a sensible approach as I don't hold the travel records now!!

Anyway my form went to Durham, was it meant to be Liverpool?

If anyone needs a basic hand with this, I'll try and help! Good luck :)

muffins78 Wrote:

> I just posted everything today and it was a

> nightmare pulling it together as my qualifying

> period was 2001 to 2006, to prove absences I had

> to take a sensible approach as I don't hold the

> travel records now!!

>

> Anyway my form went to Durham, was it meant to be

> Liverpool?

>

> If anyone needs a basic hand with this, I'll try

> and help! Good luck :)

Payment team is in Durham so it goes there first to take your ?65 before being transferred to Liverpool.

The total cost of that to the Home Office (and therefore the tax payer) is probably way more than ?65, so they really need to move this online!

I didn't know that and given the amount of paperwork I had to send (which was as orderly as possible), it's definitely more then ?65's worth of time for the Home Office!

The cost of the next step has lept up in cost from where it was about 6 or so years ago, I should have gone with it then!!

It's done now, and I included stamped addressed envelope to return my passport as soon as they can - the rest of the stuff I amn't bothered about.

Whatever their normal turnaround is, I expect many will be in the midst of applying now - so probably will be delays on this!!

• 3 months later...

Permanent residence is slightly more complicated than living here for 5 years. You have to have been exercising Treaty Rights for 5 years continuously and be able to prove it.

Exercising Treaty Rights means working, looking for work, being a self-sufficient student or a self-sufficient person. Self-sufficient means not claiming state benefits and having comprehensive health insurance (not the NHS).I think an EHIC card is acceptable under some circumstances but that's something to check.