Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation
xxxx
Portmoor Lettings

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
messageRe: the economy - update
Posted by steveo January 09, 10:33AM

Go Pounds

messageRe: the economy - update
Posted by steveo January 09, 10:34AM

As well as dull

messageRe: the economy - update
Posted by Jenny1 January 09, 10:54AM

Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This Forum is like the
> fooking Guardian

Sometimes it is. I agree. But is it not also sometimes like the fooking Financial Times? (and I mean that in a good way.)

But to be serious. I don't think this is about 'left' and 'right'. I'm sure we all hope for the continued (and indeed increased) prosperity of this country, and that this prosperity translates into the improved welfare of all of it's citizens. But I do think it's important to do all we can (principally via lobbying MPs) to ensure that this government doesn't, in it's determination to hang on to voters, prioritise ideology over economic prudence.

When senior businessmen and industrialists (including major Tory donors) are warning about the dangers of this - then it's hardly a mark of a Marxist world view to agree with them, surely?

I hope and pray that we come out of this in fine economic health. Who wouldn't? But that's virtually all I can do - hope. Do we not have a right to expect that those who can do more, those in power, use their brains and their influence to work for our long term prosperity and security, rather than focusing all their efforts on winning the next election?

messageRe: the economy - update
Posted by JohnL January 09, 10:58AM

Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rahrahrah Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We have to accept that things haven't been as
> bad
> > as was predicted.
>
> Sums up a lot of remainers opinion (but not mine)
> - "we have to accept FFS"? You, like many, clearly
> would rather things had gone badly....
>
> It's done, we are out and we have to make the best
> of it and we are in betters shape than most on the
> left are willing to admit - with a lot more
> leverage than you realise. This Forum is like the
> fooking Guardian - negative, sanctimonious, full
> of woe, country hating - typical middleclass left
> wingery nothing positive to contribute. Why I gave
> up with left to be honest

But TM with Sophie Ridge yesterday making it pretty obvious
it will be a hard brexit.

Red line on borders and the 'best deal' on single market
access that could mean a rubbish deal).

I think we'll end up either with a transitional deal or on WTO
rules.

messageRe: the economy - update
Posted by JohnL January 09, 12:02PM

Once again today Theresa May talking a good talk.

But how will she deliver, tax the rich, remove the triple
lock (suggested by a journalist).

messageRe: the economy - update
Posted by Jeremy January 09, 12:10PM

Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's done, we are out and we have to make the best
> of it and we are in betters shape than most on the
> left are willing to admit

But surely it's far from done.. it's not really a binary in/out switch, nobody knows what shape Brexit is going to take and what sort of deal we can negotiate with the EU. It's a bit too early to say the doom-mongers were wrong.

messageRe: the economy - update
Posted by JohnL January 09, 12:14PM

Jeremy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It's done, we are out and we have to make the
> best
> > of it and we are in betters shape than most on
> the
> > left are willing to admit
>
> But surely it's far from done.. it's not really a
> binary in/out switch, nobody knows what shape
> Brexit is going to take and what sort of deal we
> can negotiate with the EU. It's a bit too early to
> say the doom-mongers were wrong.

Why should the EU move beyond the four freedoms in
negotiations and then if we want to negotiate a trade deal
we start 2 years down the line

That's why a transition is needed - but the Brexiteers don't
want that as it may become permanent.

messageRe: the economy - update
Posted by rahrahrah January 10, 12:02PM

Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rahrahrah Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We have to accept that things haven't been as
> bad
> > as was predicted.
>
> Sums up a lot of remainers opinion (but not mine)
> - "we have to accept FFS"? You, like many, clearly
> would rather things had gone badly....
>
> It's done, we are out and we have to make the best
> of it and we are in betters shape than most on the
> left are willing to admit - with a lot more
> leverage than you realise. This Forum is like the
> fooking Guardian - negative, sanctimonious, full
> of woe, country hating - typical middleclass left
> wingery nothing positive to contribute. Why I gave
> up with left to be honest

What do you mean "I would rather things had gone badly"? You do talk a lot of sh*t quids. Also, you're insistence on making everything an issue of 'left / right' is silly. The EU debate cut across both parties.

messageRe: the economy - update
Posted by jaywalker January 10, 01:13PM

Jenny1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This Forum is like the
> > fooking Guardian
>
> Sometimes it is. I agree. But is it not also
> sometimes like the fooking Financial Times? (and I
> mean that in a good way.)
>
> But to be serious. I don't think this is about
> 'left' and 'right'.

Jenny1 is right, the FT rules (and has a reading age of about four years higher than any other paper - i.e. about 12). Today there is an excellent, truly first-rate, article by Janan Ganesh about the reactionary content of May's policies (and that, unfortunately, she is very far from being indecisive when it comes to pursuing a hard brexit).

May is an isolationist whose dream of order is centred on controlling immigration - whatever the economic cost - and returning us to the 'family values' and 'shared society' she has such a nostalgia for. Like all such nostalgias the content is imaginary.

So for me Jenny is also correct that this is not best thought of as 'left' versus 'right'. Here we have interventionist social policy (of an extremely narrow and reactionary kind) quite anathema to the liberal sections of both the Tory and Labour party (those who will join the forthcoming centre coalition when hard brexit materialises and Corbyn is forced out). This is independent of whether you are interventionist or laissez-faire on economics.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 10, 01:14pm by jaywalker.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed