Diazepam/Valium - whether to take it or herbal remedies

Susanna Omynona

After a very stressful year coping with involving family illnesses and spending all last summer at 4 different hospitals with them, selling elderly parents' home , a mother-in-law with dementia who phones us up to 30 times a night, work stress and more, this week it all got too much and I went to the GP. He has prescribed 2mg diazepam / Valium to be taken as and when I need it for a couple of weeks. I've tried to make do with various herbal remedies so far but they aren't really easing the symptoms of feeling sick, loss of appetite, dry mouth, very tense shoulders etc. We are going on holiday soon which will involve a long haul flight and as I'm not a great flyer, I'm wondering whether the anxiety symptoms will get even worse when I'm on the plane so am trying to decide whether to take the Valium prior to the flight.I'd be interested to hear from anyone with experience of taking Valium as a short term aid to stress. If I do take it, should I avoid alcohol altogether? I'd also like suggestions of the most effective herbal or homeopathic remedies in case there are some I've missed. Thanks!

Homeopathic remedies aren't effective beyond placebo effects. I would follow your doctors advice - not sure about taking dizaepan with alcohol, I would have thought best not to. Sorry that you're having a difficult time - sounds like a tough year. wishing you the best.

Valium Diazepan once refered to as (Mothers little helper) is a very addictive drug..

My mum was given this drug back in the 70's and I really think it did not do her any real help.

If you take Diazepam/Valium you should not drink alcohol at the same time..

You should also not drive.

If you suffer from any sleep disorders such as snoring (sleep apnoea) you should not take Valium.

Your G.P. should of discussed this with you.

I was given Diazepam a couple of years ago for stress. My G.P. gave me just two 5mg Tablets.

I a bit supprised your G.P. gave you a 2 week supply.

Feeling sick, loss of appetite, dry mouth, very tense shoulders (Muscles) can be a symptom of Dehydration.

Water is important and making sure you are hydrated will improve many health problems.

People simply do not drink enough water.

As for flying ? Diazepam MAY increase the risk of a DVT on a long haul flight ..

Again, see your G.P.

DulwichFox

!!!!! as a non- medical person I'd be a bit careful suggesting that a doctor has misdiagnosed dehydration as stress/anxiety DF! OP - you should always follow the advice of a medical professional. Perhaps ask you Dr or a nurse in the practice about using your medication on a flight?

KrackersMaracas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> !!!!! as a non- medical person I'd be a bit

> careful suggesting that a doctor has misdiagnosed

> dehydration as stress/anxiety DF! OP - you should

> always follow the advice of a medical

> professional. Perhaps ask you Dr or a nurse in the

> practice about using your medication on a flight?

I am not suggesting any G.P. misdiagnosed anything.. Dehydration is NOT an illness. cannot be diagnosed as such.

Anyone can become dehydrated at any time.

One of the first signs of dehydration is dry mouth severe thirst, discomfort, and loss of appetite.

It is understandable that the O.P. has stress reading her situation.

Being Diabetic you get to understand how your body works. Blood Pressure. Blood Sugar levels. Nutrition. Hydration.

I neglected my own health looking after someone over a period of 8 years.. resulting in becoming Type-2.

The O.P. needs some Respite to recharge her batteries. Not Diazepam..

DulwichFox

personally I would never touch Valium again, I had it prescribed years ago when I broke my back and I stopped taking it because I was becoming too far removed for what I regarded as the painful (my back) reality of reality.

I needed relief from pain but not to be so detached from the world that I was not in it anymore.

horses for courses tho.

I know some people swear by Rescue Remedy. I suggest you try it. It has a calming effect.

http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-information/

It sounds like you have a lot of built up stress. Have you considered a massage to release the tension? It needs to go somewhere.

As for long haul flights or any for that matter, you could always have a drink at the airport beforehand. A brother of mine had an intense fear of flying and that worked for him.

Mixing valium and alcohol never troubled my mother. However the former may make you sleepy if you're new to it. I don't know where Fox gets his medical knowledge from nor rahrahrah for that matter. I don't agree with either's statements which were passed off as fact.

BTW I'm not a medical professional in case you think I am due to my username.

The OP's prescribed dose is in no way surprising. It's a relatively low dose, for completely normal use. This is not a dose that in and of itself would be expected to produce either tolerance or withdrawal (re addiction).

Also there is no clear link between DVT and diazepam, with or without the criteria of long haul flights, of which I'm aware. (Though I'll be happy to review the data if you have an article.) Injected diazepam can cause thrombosis, but the direct association of tablets with dvt is not known. Where dvt has been observed, patients have had coexisting health problems and taking other drugs. Therefore it cannot be stated directly whether this led to increased risk or not. This also appears to be complicated by small sample sizes and lack of controlled trials. However this hasn't stopped all kinds of wrong and inflated statements flying around online medical sites.

If you're concerned, ask your dr to prescribe a short acting benzodiazepine instead of diazepam (which is long acting.) Take it at the start of the flight after you've settled in. It will wear off quickly, but you should be comfortable in your surroundings by then. Alternatively, you could ask for a muscle relaxant for the flight instead, then don't take the diazepam.

One unit of alcohol with low dose diazepam is not inherently dangerous. However they do magnify each other's effects including "bad" effects such as feeling sick, moody etc. Possibly not a great idea to combine on a flight, since you don't know how you'll respond.

It's always good to try other treatments, but unless you have a very poor diet, I doubt dehydration is causative. Contrary to common belief, most of the water we need, we get through our food, not through drinking straight water.

Diazepam can be very useful for hitting the reset button on out of control stress, but if you're not feeling better, you should discuss longterm treatments for anxiety, such as sertraline or buspiron, or non drug alternatives if you're so inclined.

Sorry you're stressed. I know how it feels. :( xx

Saffron I was about to take the time to type a long response counteracting some of the nonsense spouted here with some factual information but you beat me to it so thank-you!

Susanna you have been having a shocker so glad you have been to your GP for help.

Yes there are all kinds of options for helping yourself manage stress. Your GP has begun the helping process by prescribing a very small dose of Diazepam (you may not even notice any effect from 2mg of Diazepam, I wouldn't). You have been prescribed 2 weeks worth as it isn't a great long term option, partly due to it's addictive nature. With 2mg for 2 weeks you will be just fine.

Diazepam and similar benzos/ sedatives are also regularly prescribed for flights. Do what you would normally do on a long haul flight to minimise impact of the flight on your body which is to drink fluids and take a walk every so often. Unless you are very, very sensitive, a cheeky glass of wine/ G&T with that will also be fine!

There are ways to help yourself manage stress longer term (Saffron mentions a few) both with strategies and/or medication and maybe some carers support.

In the meantime, take your GP's advice, take your prescribed medication, enjoy a wonderful respite break and then see how you feel on your return.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Saffron wrote.

>

> Also there is no clear link between DVT and

> diazepam, with or without the criteria of long

> haul flights, of which I'm aware.

>

> The link is that anyone sedated is likely to sleep

> longer and move less increasing the risk.

>

> DulwichFox

That's only a hypothesis. There doesn't seem to be any actual medical data to support it, especially considering that benzodiazepines are widely used for flight anxiety. In addition the conclusion that people on diazepam invariably sleep longer is also not necessarily true. Low doses of diazepam are anxiolytic, not necessarily hypnotic.

I think there's just too little data to make a statement specifically about diazepam and dvt on long haul flights. Better for the OP simply to follow all sensible advice for reducing dvt risk overall. There's no contraindication for diazepam because of specific increased dvt risk, of which I'm aware. xx

I'm not going to join the arguement for / if the meds the doctor prescribed you are good/ bad as i have no experience of either. I would suggest to see him again and ask the questions you have asked here. Then make a decision to go ahead or ask him for an alternative.

Clearly, the stresssul situations you have been in have placed long standing pressure on you and this has manifested itself physically. Stress will make you ill, particularly if you are exposed to it for a long time.

The meds are a short term effort to give you relief, please look for other long term more direct ways of managing the stress (if you can reduce it) so it doesn't affect you so badly.

There are different things you could explore - mindfulness meditation can be good - seeing a councellor to talk it through - focussing on your diet - focussing on exercise....

Effectively, by reminding yourself (or visulaising) that stress is a separate thing - and not part of you - and that you are actively doing something to help yourself live with it/ reduce it can be quite powerful in making yourself more resilient.

Diet is interesting - different foods can have a positive effect due to teh nutrition (google 'foods to reduce stress')

DEmentia is very difficult - have you found out from the Alzheimer's Society information on illness/ disease? My mum and my nan went on a course to learn about it, and how it woudl affect my nan... it's very very hard and I understand how difficult this is to go through.

So, herbal remedies, massgae will help you feel better short term...longer term... google coping strategies.... but most importantly in my view - is to find someone to talk to (outside of your direct family,a s they will be feeling it too) who you can tell how you're feeling.

Do you have occupational health at work? Have you thought about speaking to your manager? Can you ask you doctor if he can help find some support for you during this time? I have found that talking puts shapes to the stress and I can then manage it. Or identify it and how it affects me.

Once you realise you can find a way to control the impact on you, you will feel better and stronger.

Please don't take medication as a long term solution. It can be addictive and that does not solve the problem.

Poor you, Susanna; sounds very stressful.

Despite the negative view of Valium these days, which I do completely understand, I found it fantastically helpful and 2mg (a very small dose) used occasionally was a godsend when I went through a very tough patch some years back.

A few other things you could try:

- self-refer for CBT via your GP as it's good for helping manage anxious thoughts. There'll probably be a waiting list of a few months though.

- 7-4-8 breathing. In for 7, hold for 4, out for 8, repeat. The first few rounds you fight it and then suddenly it kicks in and you feel your body calm down.

- list aloud everything you've done today in reverse order, starting with the most recent thing. This is very helpful when anxieties are snowballing in your head as the mind doesn't seem to be able to run both processes at once. Also useful when you can't unwind enough to sleep.

- Rescue Remedy, as someone already suggested. Seems to work best in a big glass of water rather than under the tongue.

- linear exercise (running, brisk walking or cycling, swimming lanes etc) apparently switches on your left brain, the part you need for problem-solving and decisions. I know people will scoff but definitely works for me and even very left-brained scientist ex agreed.

- visit Mind and Anxiety UK for more info and ideas.

- use helplines such as Sane or Samaritans to talk things through, explore your options and plan next steps.

ETA ...and massage. You may find that as the physical tension is eased you let go of the feelings you're holding at the same time (a big cry, in other words).

Best of luck.

Re flying, you may not have time or headspace for this right now but the nervous flyer course run by Virgin is very good. I did it several years ago and have done long-haul since (once with flu) and now almost enjoy it. It involves a day at an airport with a short flight at the end.

With some airlines you can also let them know you're nervous before you fly and they'll look after you.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> I know some people swear by Rescue Remedy. I

> suggest you try it. It has a calming effect.

>

> http://www.bachflower.com/rescue-remedy-informatio

> n/

>

>

I have found Rescue Remedy works to calm me down if I am anxious or stressed. I don't believe it is a placebo effect as I had no idea what it was when somebody first gave it to me.

You can get it from Health Matters on Lordship Lane.

It's quite cheap, so if you try it and find it doesn't work for you you haven't wasted a lot of money. These days there is a spray which is possibly easier to use than the drops.

There's a lot of good advice above. I personally have not found medication for stress/anxiety/depression useful (it made me feel really strange) but everybody is different.

It sounds like you've been through a really hard time, and I hope things improve for you.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far especially Saffron, Robert Poste's child and Binkyliliput for taking the time to respond. I haven't taken any pills yet and if I do, it will only be one or two. It's helpful to be able to share the situation with you, and I do know this is a temporary situation for me and also that a lot of people are going through a lot worse.

Hi Susanna, sorry to hear you have been having such a hard time. Lots of good advice already given, just wanted to add a couple more suggestions:-

- The headspace mindfulness app is really good and you can get the first 10 sessions free on the app to decide if you like it enough to buy more.

- St John's Wort is one herbal option you might consider - Mind have a section about it on their website

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/drugs-and-treatments/st-johns-wort/#.V5HEL7iAOko

I took it years ago during a bout of anxiety as an alternative to taking prescription medication, with my doctor's knowledge, and they were happy for me to do that. I did try a prescription drug when I had a different spell of anxiety without any obvious side effects, but it was no better than the St John's wort at dealing with the symptoms, so if I ever need something again I will probably go for the herbal option.

A word of caution about St John's Wort - I found that brands vary a lot in quality and that can make it complicated working out whether it works for you, dosage etc. I once increased the dosage quickly as I thought it hadn't worked and ended up in a rather agitated state, which may be ok if you were taking it for depression but not good with anxiety!

I'm going to stick to what I have personal knowledge of. I was prescribed 3 weeks worth of 2mg Diazepam a few years ago to help with muscle spasms and neck/shoulder pain and tension headaches. I was a little bit concerned about using it given the reputation it has, and so I followed all the instructions about when and how to take it carefully as a result - I didn't drink any alcohol at all with it and if I skipped the window to take one, I didn't have one until the next window to avoid the risk of doubling up.

I personally found it a very effective treatment, it really helped with my pain and consequently allowed me to sleep, I didn't feel out of control at any point and I had no problem at all adjusting to coming off it. If you are worried about using Diazepam, then definitely do and go back to discuss with your doctor, but please don't worry that it isn't safe to use as prescribed. There are lots of options available on the NHS to help with stress so it may be that one of those is a better option for you, but I do hope you can talk to your GP about this more before you decide how to deal with things. Wishing you all the best.

Hi Suzanne, sorry you've had such a hard time,

It's very easy to lose track of your own life

when so much time is taken up caring for others.

I have a friend who travels back to UK at least

a couple of times a year, she takes a valium before

Boarding. She has done this for years as she is frightened of flying, it hasn't had any adverse reactions. As a one off I can't see it being a problem. I don't know which alternate remedies you have tried, i've found skullcap has helped with anxiety, insomnia, hope things get easier for you and you can take your life back. Good luck.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/skullcap.html