Top Tips

Alan Medic

I seem to remember there was a thread called this, possibly started by a long departed woof. So given my experience this morning, I'd thought I'd start another one.

I received my usual annual renewal notice for buildings and contents insurance from ironically another 'dog', and as I had been on a filing spree with my new shredder (thanks for the suggestions and particularly Laddy as I bought one of your Which options) I noted the 13% increase in the cost. I didn't work that out in my head by the way.

So I decided to use a price comparison site. I ended up getting the same policy with the same nodding dog for almost 50% less. The moral of the story is don't accept automatic renewals.

Feel free to share any more 'top tips'.

An actual tip (not from viz.) told to me a year or so ago

Vinyl lovers, fed up with fluff and dirt ruining get that record you love, smear wood glue over it and when dry peel it off to remove all dirt and debris in the grove , then wash with warm (not hot) water to remove any residue from the glue

Never tried it but heard it works well..

phobic3000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you fancy a cold one but your beer's not

> chilled, wrap it in a bit of wet kitchen roll and

> shove it in the freezer.

>

> It should be chilled nicely in around 10 minutes.

It's a myth - the wet paper doesn't add any benefit.

Jeremy Wrote:

> phobic3000 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If you fancy a cold one but your beer's not

> > chilled, wrap it in a bit of wet kitchen roll and

> > shove it in the freezer.

> >

> > It should be chilled nicely in around 10 minutes.

>

> It's a myth - the wet paper doesn't add any benefit.

I thought it did, so I went a'googling. I found two people that did the experiment with temp probes and they found opposite results.

I am now no wiser on the subject.

Jeremy Wrote:

> phobic3000 Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > If you fancy a cold one but your beer's not

> > chilled, wrap it in a bit of wet kitchen roll

> and

> > shove it in the freezer.

> >

> > It should be chilled nicely in around 10

> minutes.

>

> It's a myth - the wet paper doesn't add any

> benefit.

Theoretically :-

Wet paper around the bottle in the sun will cool the beer as the water evapourates..

It's kind if how a fridge works..

Might need to repeat several times..

Just put it in the freezer for 10-15 mins and DO NOT forget it is there..

Foxy

Well, yes foxy - the change of state as the water evaporates needs energy, so it uses surrounding heat.

That's not really going to happen in a freezer, though. The change of state from water to ice, as far as I can remember, doesn't use that energy. I suspect this effect, if it occurs, is to do with water being a better transferrer of the heat in the bottle with the chill of the air in the freezer,

phobic3000 Wrote:

> OK then... How about

>

> If you fancy a cold one but your beer's not chilled, put it in a bowl with ice cubes and water

> then add some salt.

>

> Something "sciencey" happens and it cools the beer a lot quicker than in just iced water or in the

> freezer...

That's a bit easier to explain. The salt lowers the freezing point of water. So, instead of the ice/water mix being about 0c, it can drop to about -10 (or even further with the right mix of salt and water). And even though that makes it a similar temp as a freezer, water transmits heat more easily, so it should cool the drink faster.

It's the same reason putting salt on roads stops them freezing.

"That's a bit easier to explain. The salt lowers the freezing point of water. So, instead of the ice/water mix being about 0c, it can drop to about -10 (or even further with the right mix of salt and water). And even though that makes it a similar temp as a freezer, water transmits heat more easily, so it should cool the drink faster"

Very roughly, every 50g salt per litre of water = 2 degree drop in freezing point, down to -20.