How can I cross London to get to the A1 but avoiding congestion charge areas

Cazz

Recently due to the death of a relative in Peterborough I have been driving across London to get to the A1 and incurring congestion charges. I have been trying to find a route across london which avoids this charge. I know it exists but I am at a loss to find it. Can anyone help?

Straight through, Vauxhall Bridge, Victoria, Park Lane, A5 and then stick on that (or take another aterial road eg A41 Finchley Road) out to the North Circ. You can go the other way too via Tower Bridge, and then through Angel and Archway. Both will be busy during peak hours.

If you cross the river at Vauxhall Bridge, drive up Vauxhall Bridge Road, on to Hyde Park Corner, Park Lane, Marble Arch, Edgware Road - none of that is in the congestion charge zone. At the top there you can go right towards Camden (round London Zoo area? memory a bit fuzzy) and on to the A1 at Archway.

Alternative is to take the OK Road, the A road, the A13

It starts down in Wapping

There ain't no stopping

By-pass Barking and straight through Dagenham

Down to Grays Thurrock

And rather near Basildon

Pitsea, Thundersley, Hadleigh, Leigh-On-Sea,

Chalkwell, Prittlewell

Southend's the end

use the Rotherhithe tunnel, right on exit up Burdett road cut through on right up Campbell road then right, past bow church dlr station left onto a12, then m11, m25,A1. yes its miles longer but its my fastest route so far.

I take this journey at least twice a month due to work. I've tried all variations but the one I now always take is Rotherhithe tunnel, A13, North Circular A406, M11 and then join the A1. It's quickest route and I got to Nottingham in a little over 3 hours the other week generally sticking to the speed limit.

I used to do Alice's suggestion all the time but I always got stuck around Bow due to traffic and its 30 miles. North circular is 50. Just watch out for the average speed check cameras.

Good question. I always did the A12 for the best part of 5 years but in the past year or so I've found the A13 quicker and I like driving past Canary Wharf for some strange reason.

That is a good point with tunnels. Rotherhithe can be horrible at rush hour but I always leave early enough to avoid it.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A13 good choice. At least to sing to. But not

> sure if you go this route why you don't do the A12

> instead.

>

> Careful with tunnels as they get bloomin blocked

> to easy.

I used to choose A12 or A13 on impulse as one was always slower at random.

Look at traffic reports.