Chinese Takeaway suggestions please

KidKruger

For me Hong Hong, Grove Vale all the way. Really nice people, I've known the older lady for over 20 years now. The food is delicious and always on time, good value for money. The best bit is they often do things you might not see on the menu too. Small and large containers available. Free prawn crackers with orders over ?10 I believe.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> For me Hong Hong, Grove Vale all the way. Really

> nice people, I've known the older lady for over 20

> years now. The food is delicious and always on

> time, good value for money. The best bit is they

> often do things you might not see on the menu too.

> Small and large containers available. Free prawn

> crackers with orders over ?10 I believe.

>

> Louisa.

Seconded, lovely food, very accommodating to any special dietary requests, friendly, quick and good value. Couldn't be better!

Hong Hong is good for your typical British-style, old-school takeaway experience.

Wuli Wuli is decent for Sichuan dishes or Noodles... if you order sweet & sour or crispy duck, you might be disappointed.

Silk Rd if you're willing to go and collect.

Nothing else I've tried locally...

.....and Hong Hong it was.

Had wide variety of dishes to share amongst several folks.

Most dishes OK, all hot when collected and friendly to boot.

The takeaway on Upland was the place I would have otherwise used - but fancied a change, which required advice from your good selves.

Thanks all for tips.

Burp...

Seabag Wrote:

> DovertheRoad Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Is there potential to gentrify chinese food?

>

> Hook Lee Fook in HK

Yep - but I think it's actually called Ho Le Fook (gettit?)

Jeremy Wrote:

> Seabag Wrote:

> -----

> > DovertheRoad Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Is there potential to gentrify chinese food?

> >

> > Hook Lee Fook in HK

>

> Yep - but I think it's actually called Ho Le Fook

> (gettit?)

Did I really write Hook Lee Fook ?

I blame spell check

There is this sense that with 'Chinese' food in this country we're being fobbed-off pretty badly with run-of-the-mill mush.

Like Jeremy said, it's a formula and most of us just accept it and buy it. Silk Road made me realise how much shite we're palmed-off with by 'traditional' Chinese establishments.

Yeah, I still fancy the typical Cantonese-type stuff sometimes.. sweet & sour pork, salt & chilli squid, etc. There are a handful of places that do it quite well, e.g. Royal China, Phoenix Palace, etc. And dim sum too (locally Hong Kong City is OK... and actually quite reminiscent of a typical neighbourhood HK joint).

Silk Rd is v good, but to be fair Xinjiang is a completely different style of food so direct comparison to your favourite Chinese takeaway doesn't really stack up.

Yeah the food from trad Cantonese takeaways and Silk Road are not comparable in reality, but my point was about genuine / lifelike food. One has the goods while the other (regardless of region of origin within China) has a bastardised normalised version of 'something'.

In a way it's like me comparing Everest in Lewisham (a Tamil cafe, which I've yet to promote in Lounge) v a bog-standard Bangadeshi run 'Indian' restaurant.

There's a few similar down that way Jeremy, but I've not got past Everest yet - still working through their offerings.

The veggie 'pie' is great, veda is fine, roti (when available) is good, biriyani is good, next I'll try fish 'pie' and further curries.

They do a 'veggie plate' and 'meat plate' which are both a plate of rice with various curries of your choice slapped on.

There are like 20 curries to choose from, including crab. It's all pre-made, canteen style.