DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Isn't it ironic

> ...that the poorest people supposedly eat more

> sugar than the well off when at one time only the

> very wealthy could afford Sugar.

>

> SugarTax

Indeed, Georgians and early Victorians were proud to be fat, as it was a sign that you could afford to be so. Now the poor are fat while those who make their money from selling them the crap that made them so spend a fortune on personal trainers and surgery to stay thin. Funny old world.

Jeremy Wrote:

> People need to take responsibility for their own

> actions. We all know sugary/fatty food is bad for

> you... fried chicken and snickers bars are quick

> and tasty, but if you eat them every day, the

> outcome is bloody obvious.

Agree absolutely Jeremy, though it becomes slightly more complex when manufacturers deliberately overload products one wouldn't expect to contain a lot of sugar with it, effectively creating an addicts' market. Of course the information is available on the side of the packet, but how many people really consult that? Even if one thinks they should, they don't, so it would seem to me that some regulation and a more clearly understandable and prominent labelling system ? even health warnings if necessary ? would be appropriate.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Some fair points there Rendel.

I'm as bad as anyone else for checking - the other day before going out cycling I thought I'd have a tin of Heinz baked beans (other brands are available) - good quick energy, not too much fat or calories, and surely must be healthy, beans and tomato sauce, even proclaims on the can that it's one of your five a day...idly studying the ingredients whilst warming them up I found that one tin contained nearly 21 grams of sugar, 66% of the RDA for an adult male! That ought to be displayed at least as prominently as the boast that they're one of your five a day.

Still ate them and they were most toothsome, but think I might be a bit more careful in future...