The joy of superhighways...

rendelharris

It being incumbent on me to go and feed a friend's cat early this morning, I thought before getting back to work at home I'd have a quick potter round and see what the new segregated superhighways are like at rush hour (the ones which are, according to lobbyists for motor transport, unnecessary and underused). The answer is, absolutely wonderful. Little trickles of riders from the backstreets become streams which meet at Elephant and explode into a vast river of cyclists flowing up towards the City. All types of cyclists present, from lines of lycra racers pacing each other on carbon fibre to grannies on sit up and begs with baskets on the front (there were a few grannies in lycra on carbon fibre too, easily overtaking me!). The most astounding thing was, in contrast to the snarling and hooting traffic alongside, I rode ten miles in a packed mass of cyclists and didn't once hear anyone shout, swear or indeed do anything bar politely ting a bell to let slower riders (me) know they were coming through. Turns out, if you remove the reason for people feeling jumpy and aggressive, they stop being jumpy and aggressive. Who knew? Didn't see a single rider jump a red light either, even when the way ahead was completely clear. It really felt like being part of something big and rather special. The wind's at cycling's back at last!

Here endeth the panegyric, just felt like sharing something positive - and to say to those thinking about using them, give it a whirl, you won't regret it.

I am glad they are there, even if I had to suffer as the buses ground to a halt around E and C and on B'friars Road but it really gets my goat when I see cyclists (at least one every time I am there) choose to cycle on the pavement/use the pedestrian crossing. Talk about ungrateful. A hard stare from you to such transgressor would be worth more from you than a mere pedestrian or - gasp - motorised vehicle user.

Agree too, it's so much more relaxed and means when I get home I don't need my 'chill out' because of the stress of cycling near cars in rush hour. Really great to see people of all types on it too, and not just a racetrack for the lycra clad folk!

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am glad they are there, even if I had to suffer

> as the buses ground to a halt around E and C and

> on B'friars Road but it really gets my goat when I

> see cyclists (at least one every time I am there)

> choose to cycle on the pavement/use the pedestrian

> crossing. Talk about ungrateful. A hard stare from

> you to such transgressor would be worth more from

> you than a mere pedestrian or - gasp - motorised

> vehicle user.

I shall stringently scold anyone I see stepping out of line - did have a wee go at a chap up near Tower Hill the other day for jumping the light - I pointed out that when we've finally been given something this good, it ill behoves us to abuse it - and he agreed (in the end!).

dirac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Agree too, it's so much more relaxed and means

> when I get home I don't need my 'chill out'

> because of the stress of cycling near cars in rush

> hour. Really great to see people of all types on

> it too, and not just a racetrack for the lycra

> clad folk!

Loved it so much, it's made me happy all day. Thinking, as a freelancer working from home, of doing a little morning "commute" to Blackfriars and back every day, just to set myself up for work!