Where's the best chippy in the area?

dirac

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The worst is the one on Cheltenham Road, keep shop

> customers waiting for 30 mins, whilst they take

> telephone orders. Shocking.

Kind of why I don't really like going to cod fellas anymore. Don't get me wrong, they are lovely people and the food is good; but the wait is insanely long if there are more than 3 people in the queue. I've waited in there at least 25mins for a small portion of chips the last three times, which is crazy. Two of which people who came in way after me got service first because they were ordering fish. Basically smaller orders get forgotten for many reasons (had a long time to observe waiting haha). I'll go back because the food's good, but not if there's more than 3 people already waiting.

For Quality and Quantity cannot beat Cod Fellas. White flakes of Cod. Beautiful crisp batter.

You might have to wait as everything is cooked fresh to order.

Cheapest prices with Free chips on Fridays. (certain meals sit in & t/a)

I only have sit in as too far to walk for a take out. (most Fridays weather permitting)

Other places more local to me I no longer bother with.. The walk to Cod Fellas gives me an appetite.

DulwichFox

Pugwash Wrote:

> Emily's on Noeth Cross Road. Ahmed is a delightful

> fellow and food always taste good

Ahmed is indeed a delightful fellow but his fish and chips are truly awful.

The worst i've ever had anywhere.

He keeps telling you that he's making fresh chips for you, over and over and over again but i'm standing there watching him put previously cooked chips back in the oil to reheat. They come out completely limp and tasting of stale oil unsurprisingly. The batter on the fish is sloppy and horrible too.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> For Quality and Quantity cannot beat Cod Fellas.

> White flakes of Cod. Beautiful crisp batter.

> You might have to wait as everything is cooked

> fresh to order.

> Cheapest prices with Free chips on Fridays.

> (certain meals sit in & t/a)

>

> I only have sit in as too far to walk for a take

> out. (most Fridays weather permitting)

>

> Other places more local to me I no longer bother

> with.. The walk to Cod Fellas gives me an

> appetite.

>

> DulwichFox

How long have they had sit-in? Did they have a big refurb or something? It's a couple of years since i've been. Good fish and chips indeed

London generally is relatively poor for fish and chips. North London tends to be better in my opinion. I used to live in Finchley and Two Brothers (in Finchley) and Toffs in Muswell Hill were genuinely decent.

For obvious reasons, fish and chips at the seaside are generally so much better. Best i've ever had were the chip van on the pier on the Isle of Mull and Pete's Fish n Chips in Margete (best i've ever had anywhere, so so good) a couple of weeks ago.

If you want the best fish and chips in London go straight to Master Superfish on Waterloo Road, they fry their fish in ground nut oil and they are out of this world, true heaven, and you get free prawns and french bread while you wait for it to be freshly cooked. Great to go there before going into town for Theatre etc (lovely seating area)

titch juicy Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > For Quality and Quantity cannot beat Cod

> Fellas.

> > White flakes of Cod. Beautiful crisp batter.

> > You might have to wait as everything is cooked

> > fresh to order.

> > Cheapest prices with Free chips on Fridays.

> > (certain meals sit in & t/a)

> >

> > I only have sit in as too far to walk for a

> take

> > out. (most Fridays weather permitting)

> >

> > Other places more local to me I no longer

> bother

> > with.. The walk to Cod Fellas gives me an

> > appetite.

> >

> > DulwichFox

>

> How long have they had sit-in? Did they have a

> big refurb or something? It's a couple of years

> since i've been. Good fish and chips indeed

>

> London generally is relatively poor for fish and

> chips. North London tends to be better in my

> opinion. I used to live in Finchley and Two

> Brothers (in Finchley) and Toffs in Muswell Hill

> were genuinely decent.

>

> For obvious reasons, fish and chips at the seaside

> are generally so much better. Best i've ever had

> were the chip van on the pier on the Isle of Mull

> and Pete's Fish n Chips in Margete (best i've ever

> had anywhere, so so good) a couple of weeks ago.

Not sure how long sit in has been available. Never went before the reburb..

They have about 5 tables ? new toilets. People coming in still remarking on what a brilliant change so must be quite recent.

They are also Licensed and sell Beer and Wine..

Fish & Chips and a small beer for a Tenner.

I have had some pretty dire Fish & Chips in Brighton and Ramsgate in recent years so not always better.

DulwichFox.

Have to agree - reluctantly - about Emily's. He's a nice bloke who's been running the place for years... at one point he had grand plans about extending out the back to make it into a proper fish and chip restaurant... but the batter is just not crispy.

Interesting to know the owner of Rose's used to own the Upland Road one. I thought the previous incarnation ("fish and chips and more") was acceptable but not great. I remember the Upland Rd chippy being really good around 2002-2005 ish..

CodFellas is OK. Refurb was just a few months back, I've not tried it since but am looking forward to trying the eat-in experience.

My favourite used to be the "Dulwich Fryer" (near the station and football ground), before it changed owner around 3 years ago. It was always hard to resist walking home from the station without picking up F&C (with a couple of beers from the shop opposite).

Master's Superfish is superb (but of course not local... unfortunately).

Jeremy Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I can't recall a Fish & Chip shop on Upland Rd.

>

>

> Ahh, was thinking of Underhill.

I thought you meant Underhill but Louisa was also talking about a chippy on Upland rd so I was doubting myself..

The one on Underhill is Semas and has gone downhill in recent years. The Batter is not crispy. it's hard but raw underneath. The Lady there (Rose ?) was alway really nice to me.. but if it IS the same person she was extreemly rude

to me when I tried the new Roses fish bar and asked for a plate to sit outside. There were people (friends) inside

eating off of plates but I was refused one.2.30pm. The Fish and Chips were very average.

Foxy

Dolphin Fish bar Westmoreland Road, Walworth

Super thin and crispy batter

But the Mermaid in Kirkdale Sydenham has been taken over, and it's been rammed over the weekend. Two guys (one is a chef) have taken it on. They plan to open a proper restaurant at the back too.