with only days to go, any ED residents going to the Notting Hill Carnival?

trinidad

Mastricht is massive ...

A big square 3 times the size of Trafalgar sq. and 2 smaller ones.

There is a pub/bar for ever 200 head of population.. It is very colourful with some very inventive coustumes.

There are 100 or so brass bands that tour the streets and bars. Just when you think you could not possibly get another

person in the place another 10-20 piece brass band squeezes in just a couple of tunes before the next band arrives.

It is crazy..

http://d3mi0kjorayujs.cloudfront.net/system/files/000/063/185/large/11de11de%2021.jpg

http://www.avdweb.nl/Article_files/Gallery/Miscellaneous/Carnaval-Maastricht-2007/resizedimages/Carnaval-Maastricht-2007-02.JPG

It happens in February and often snows..

Foxy

I will most certainly try and get some pictures, and upload them here. Thank you so much for being positive, many on this thread dont seem to support the idea at all, so sad :(

I just hope the weather keeps up, i cant wait to get my costume tomorrow. I paid for it way back in May.

It can be really scary for the first timer, and im not talking about crime, but more about the vast amount of people looking at you. I got tons of pictures taken of me, kids trying on my hat, it was great fun, would not miss it for the world, I have attended several times, i love it, and even the police officers get involved to.

six days and counting.....

come on Team Notting Hill Carnival

I'm not old and past it, I love a music festival/celebration as much as and probably more than the next man. I've just had bad experiences the two times i've been.

Rather than a big celebration, it felt like groups of youths intent on intimidation and not just in isolated incidences.

I hope anyone going has an amazing time, truly. It's just not for me.

used to go every year loved it, never had bad stuff happening all good. a festival in a square is not the same - didn't they try to move nhc a while ago. different sound systems as you go. oompah bands?! what ? no comparison.

Ken Livingstone tried to relocate to Hyde Park. In Trinidad, the carnival ends in a large sprawling park like Hyde Park. I love the music, and I have never experienced any issues, problems what so ever. No violence, no intimadation, no gangs, just everyone enjoying themselves. I much rather be "in" the carnival, than watching. Im srounded by stewards, police and security, let along the barriers and security staff.

I tended to spend time at the sound systems rather than watching the carnival itself.

I imagine it feels fantastic being a part of the parade :)

Out of curiosity I did a google search on NHC crime problems, as it's years since I last went and if it had become relatively much safer i would have reconsidered. But it seems last year's crime figures were the worst in a decade including a Policeman being stabbed.

yes your right with the increase in crime last year, sadly thats not good. I also really feel for those spending hours all squashed up watching the carnival it self, there are times, when the route has such wide roads, i can dance from one side, to the next so freely, and i am completely safe!!!

The best standing has got to be the judging point and thats when all the groups are given there ten minutes of fame to dance like crazy to impress the judges. Our DJ often gets us jeared up, and then as we rush towards the jusging part, all hell lets loose and hundreds from your group dance like crazy. Even thinking about it gives me goose bumps, i really hope the weather is like today.