Help with TV - we're leaving SKY and I don't think I understand the options

Angelina

We're leaving Sky as the deals expired and it's now extortionate. Should have done so ages ago, but am there now!

What do you do? I've thought about no TV at all, but it's not really practical - bf likes football, I like watching the odd film and channel flipping (when I finally sit down!)

I have one smart TV and one ordinary.

I was thinking of getting a NOW TV box and paying a small monthly subscription (with no contract). I also have Amazon Prime and I understand you can get a dongle that you can make a non smart TV smart so I can show Amazon Prime downloads on it, so can watch films.

I'm not very clued up so would like to know if I'm on the right track, or if there is a better option I am unaware of.

Thanks EDF-ers!

The NOW TV box is made by Roku and is essentially a locked down, budget variant of their entry-level model.

We have one and it's excellent for the price, although I don't subscribe to anything, just use it for youtube and iPlayer. You can't use it for Netflix or Amazon, as it's subsidised by Sky, they don't want you viewing competitors.

The Roku stick, which is around ?35 on Amazon, is better; as it's independent, you can get Sky Sports, Amazon, Netflix etc. and I believe the picture quality is better.

We use NOW TV and you should take a look at it. There is no contract so you can buy a months Movies or Entertainment pass with no obligation to carry on once it's expired. You can also buy Sky Sports passes for NOW TV boxes by the day week or month. The box costs ?20 and comes with a free pass for entertainment/films/sport. Picture quality is fine for me but could be better when I occasionally watch football. Bear in mind you need a decent broadband connection and for any box that's only wireless, a decent wireless signal. I think I still have spare NOW TV box if you want to borrow it PM me.

I went with EE for broadband and their TV - essentially its freeview, but a recordable box (up to 4 channels at a time) and access to Now TV, catchup etc etc. It's pretty decent for the price. Doesn't access Netflix or Amazon though.

You don't have to return the box - usually you own it (which is also why they try to charge you to fix it if it goes wrong!). That's also why you see so many for sale second-hand.

Last time I left Sky (4-5 years ago) the recordings did not work. You need a valid Sky card plugged into the box, this tells it what you are subscribed to and therefore what you can watch, even for recordings. I'm not sure whether freeview channel recordings still work. I'm back with Sky now and had this problem when I gave up BT Sport - the very second my BT broadband was turned off, all my BT Sport recordings became absolutely useless. It would be the same for leaving Sky entirely.

Lazero Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You don't have to return the box - usually you own

> it (which is also why they try to charge you to

> fix it if it goes wrong!). That's also why you see

> so many for sale second-hand.

>

Although I think the ownership is different with Sky Q

(for the future)

They'll still charge to fix though B****ds ;)

When my initial 12 months was up and the price was hiked up to something eyewatering I gave them a call and they gave me a load of deals to bring the cost right down again. The guy I spoke to was great and I'm not tied into a 12 month contract either.