Deliveroo: please keep your cyclists safe

Robert Poste's Child

This is a plea to Deliveroo: please make sure your delivery guys are safer on the roads. It?s only a matter of time before someone in this area is badly hurt or worse - and I make no apology for including in that the potentially life-changing impact it could have on anyone else involved.

A couple of days ago I posted about a Deliveroo guy cycling dangerously through a junction when the light was on red, after dark, with insufficient lights, the box slung across his back rather than properly secured, no helmet or reflective clothing, and while apparently having a video call on his mobile, which he held out to the side, turning sideways to look at the screen he held outstretched so the other person could see him. [previous post: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,251917,page=145]

This evening, again after dark, I passed another going down Woodwarde Road, a rather patchily lit road. I noticed that the delivery box (this time carried more securely on the bike's rack) was dark grey or black and, despite being the widest point of his bike, with no reflective material and, as he was on the dark side of the road, almost impossible to see except up close. His lights were tiny and hard to see at any distance.

Five minutes later, just after I turned down LL by the library, I heard a crash just behind me. Another Deliveroo rider had been knocked down by a car going through the junction, on the Lloyds corner where it?s less well lit. The clearly concerned driver stopped immediately and the cyclist was OK (I stopped to check) - though the front wheel of the bike was slightly bent. I don?t want to speculate on who was at fault as I didn?t see what happened, and the important thing is he was OK. Thank goodness, he was wearing a helmet though apart from that just shorts and t-shirt. However, I couldn?t help noticing that once again the box, the widest point of the load, was black or dark grey, with no reflective material, and the bike?s lights were tiny.

Half an hour or so later, as I came back up Crystal Palace Road, where lighting is again patchy and some parts fairly dark, I passed another Deliveroo bike going downhill. Same issue with the box and lights, no helmet or reflective clothing, and this time with both hands off the handlebars while apparently texting on his phone.

I was also passed by a Deliveroo moped, which had better lights but the same issue with the box.

Deliveroo, I?m sure you care about your employees and that you don?t need me to tell you you have a responsibility to make sure they?re safe and not putting themselves - or anyone else - at risk by the way they go about their work. Maybe you already have standards for this kind of thing and aren't aware they're not being followed in this area.

Based on the last couple of days I think the following changes would make a big difference:

1. Delivery boxes could be white with big reflective strips so the size is clearly visible in all conditions (branding opportunity!) and always secured on a bike rack. Ideally it should go on the front rather than the back as that way the cyclist would find it easier to judge the width they need to allow.

2. Give cyclists helmets and reflective clothing (another branding opportunity!)

3. Make sure they have decent lights.

4. Make cycling responsibly a part of your way of working (HOW you deliver as well as what and how fast).

Please let?s not wait until someone is seriously hurt. I may also send this to your company by email.

(If any local journo is having a quiet day, please feel free to pick up on this. To anyone else who read this far, sorry for the long post.)

[ETA link to previous post]

Some months ago coming up LL towards Townley Road, I had to brake suddenly as a Deliveroon cyclist suddenly cut across me without warning or signalling. Had I been going much faster I would have certainly hit him as I braked.

There seems to be a sudden increase of these deliveries in ED and I am seeing them on a daily basis.

No reflective clothing or strips around their ankles and very little safety awareness or road sense.

Had similar thoughts when I saw a Deliveroo biker run through a red light using the pedestrian crossings and pavement yesterday. Surely part of their training would be emphasizing following road rules/safety!?! Very sorry to hear of these other incidences. Would be brilliant to also email your message to Deliveroo RPC as guessing they're unlikely to see your post on here.

Its not Deliveroo who run the red lights, its cyclists. These guys were cyclists before they were "deliveroo cyclists" and therefore are already aware that the rules of the road don't apply to them, obvs.

As regards night delivery, Deliveroo should take the lead and issue a safe and visible uniform.

To me the huge packs on backs just don't look safe. I couldn't believe it was for real when I saw the first one. If there is any real weight in them I'd expect them to be destabilising. Its the sort of thing that if you were carrying it yourself you'd expect police to ask you to get off your bike and walk.

I do worry about these cyclists and their safety carrying these bulky accessories. (Although not if they run a red light)

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> To me the huge packs on backs just don't look

> safe. I couldn't believe it was for real when I

> saw the first one. If there is any real weight in

> them I'd expect them to be destabilising.

Surely the weight of a couple of takeaways is negligible compared to the weight of the rider. As long as the load is centrally balanced, should be fine.

Not excusing the reckless cycling of course.

I just witnessed a Deliveroo cyclist riding up Underhill Road..

Earphones in... both hands off the handlebars... Rubbing both eyes.. so riding blind..

He went straight across Crystal Palace Road without stopping or looking ??? ...

...He then rode on down Whateley rd. with both hand out-stretched.. to the sides...

Death Wish..

DulwichFox

Cycling through Kennington a couple of days ago I was nearly knocked off my own bike by a Deliveroo moped weaving in and out of traffic at speed, so at least I know it's not just this area; a few drivers clearly weren't happy either. Perhaps they're under pressure to deliver within a certain time and get penalties if they don't?

I'm wondering if the look-ED-no-hands could be multiple sightings of the same person.

As well as being totally reckless on the road and dressed like cycle ninjas in the night, Deliveroo kinda annoys me in other aspects. Was having a quiet meal last Friday at the Thai place on lordship lane and was constantly having to speak up to talk because the deliveroo staff(?) were all lounging around the restaurant like it was their own front room, shouting to each other, playing music on their phones etc. This has happened at a couple of places, and really puts a downer on the meal for me being constantly interrupted and being barged by when they come in collecting their stuff. Don't get me wrong, everyone has to earn money etc and restaurants certainly get an extra outlet, but it's just badly managed in a lot or places imo.

And another near miss with a deliveroo moped this eve. C. 6.30 junction peckham rye abd east dulwich road. Guy tried to turn right onto edr and beat oncoming traffic. What a muppet. Skidded in wet and ended up off moped in middle of road. Lucky cars stopped. Hope the rider has learned to be a bit more cautious. Not enough training or could it just possibly be they're encouraged to be quick??

They've obviously been reading this very thread - got an email about new branding, which also happened to mention they've got new clothing and safety equipment coming (I've cut some of the other stuff out):

And that?s just what we?re doing, by creating new equipment that enhances our riders? safety and style through a brightly coloured, hyper?reflective kit...

It was a true team effort. From the guys over at road safety organisation, Brake, who helped us ensure our rider kit was second to none, to Kat, our Head of Procurement who took the equipment for a 180km waterproofing test in the rainy Scottish Highlands.

Announcement on Deliveroo website

In the course of a twelve mile cycle ride this morning nearly got hit by a Deliveroo moped which overtook me within inches (on the wrong side of the road as I was overtaking a stationary bus, squeezing into a dangerously small gap (him/her not me) in oncoming traffic), had a Deliveroo cyclist cause me to swerve sharply as he jumped off the pavement on which he was riding straight in front of me, and saw three other Deliveroo cyclists ride straight through red lights, including one on a pelican where children were crossing. They really are becoming something of a menace and offering fuel to the anti-cyclist brigade.