Would you retire at 50 if you could ?

Mick Mac

A friend of mine has recently been made redundant and has decided he can afford not to go back to work. He's effectively retiring at 50.

It sounds like the ideal - but his children are still youngish, youngest is 10, so he cant exactly go off somewhere.

Would you do the same? Obviously work is a financial necessity for many and also there is a large group who cant seem to give it up even post retirement age.

Would you do it in these circumstances. I'm sort of trying to figure out if I should be jealous or not.

Please supply other key details, Mick

Size of redundancy package

Value of house, assuming owned

Other savings & pensions

Fondness for daytime television

Possibly inheritances coming his way over the next 10-20 years

Cocaine requirements

Willingness to live in small cottage in Wales, if necessary.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Please supply other key details, Mick

>

>

>

> Size of redundancy package

> BIG

> Value of house, assuming owned

> BIG

> Other savings & pensions

> BIG

> Fondness for daytime television

> NOT SURE

> Possibly inheritances coming his way over the next

> 10-20 years

> ALREADY HAD ONE - BIG

> Cocaine requirements

> NONE

> Willingness to live in small cottage in Wales, if

> necessary. KENT

He says he needs to be slightly careful with this money - but I don't believe him.

PS: I know it was rhetorical, but I answered the question anyway

I retired at 53. I spent two years on the dole and it was hellish. It was practically impossible to find other work. Ageism is a reality. As soon as I hit 55 and could draw on my private pension I did so. I don't have much to live on but I'm one hell of a lot happier. The thought of ever going back to work for someone else fills me with inertia and morbid dread. Total anathema. If I could have retired earlier I would have done so. I live on my own time now. Not someone else's. There's is far more to life than working.

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes." - Oscar Wilde.

And I'm with Buk on this one. Hits the nail on the head for me.

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag237/jahlushhead/charles-bukowski-quote_zpssdqiwvvn.jpg

I wouldn't have worked at all if I didn't have to, and I'd love to have been able to retire at 50.

I took voluntary redundancy in my early forties and had a few years off including travelling, which I am very grateful for, but I was well jealous of my older colleagues who were eligible for early retirement and did extremely well out of it.

Unless you are lucky enough to have a job you really really love, why wouldn't you want to leave it and have time and money to pursue things that interest you?

It would be lovely to be in a position to retire but right now I don't see how I ever will be. Finding it difficult to get work due to being at the senior end of the spectrum and therefore perceived as both old and expensive. Looking for an alternative as need to keep some money coming in but not sure what I'm good for. May have to move out of London as rents here will soon eat up my savings. Think it's fair to say that no political party is interested in people like me...

Sorry if that sounds grim. Am also on diet so not allowed to eat anything that might cheer me up.

When you retire (I will clarify that with myself as a certain person will correct me as not applying to everyone)

you wonder how you ever had the time to go to work. You (I) will/am be so busy..

Will now be accused of being Narcissitic for using the word I.. and talking about my situation..

DulwichFox

Salsaboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No. I'm bored when I do have a day off.

Bored! How the hell can you possibly get bored? People who get bored easily show a distinct lack of imagination. As I said before, there's more to life than working.

?I?m bored? is a useless thing to say. I mean, you live in a great, big, vast world that you?ve seen none percent of. Even the inside of your own mind is endless; it goes on forever, inwardly, do you understand? The fact that you?re alive is amazing, so you don?t get to say ?I?m bored.? Louis C.K.

Yes, if it really had no financial consequences for me our my family long term. But I wouldn't sit around and do nothing. I already do volunteer work and I'd devote more of my time to that. I'd also probably study some more and get involved more deeply in issues that I'm passionate about.

I like what I do for a living (a lot) which I feel lucky about but there is no doubt that I work for money. There are about 1,000 other better uses of my time for society, my family and my own personal growth than the paid work I do.