Travellers on Peckham Rye? (Lounged)

Pierre

Has anyone else spotted the caravans and vans parked up on the southern end of the Rye (near the skate park)? Any idea what's going on?

Is it OK? I respect travellers' rights to roam around, but... on the Rye? It's a well-used public park. They're already leaving rubbish and driving across the grass.

I've only seen them from the road so far, so haven't actually said hi to them - it may be a perfectly legit camp of some sort, I just wondered if anyone on here knew anything.

We overlook the Dulwich Hospital site. There are presently 8 vans parked, with more vehicles continuing to arrive. The fence was broken through for access. There appear to be several children playing on what must be unsafe land. I have spoken to Security at the hospital, also to the police who said that they attended the site, that they have already received many other calls, that the Council had also been informed, and that the only way that the travellers can be evicted is if the land owners get a Court Order. We intend to go to Helen Hayes MP's constituency surgery this Friday in East Dulwich to speak to her about it. We fully support the plans to redevelop the site, and we are very disappointed and concerned that the present traveller situation could delay this.

I don't know who owns the land right now, but we hope the MP might have some information when we go to her surgery on Friday. The same thing did happen a while back, but the travellers broke in from East Dulwich Grove that time, and only a couple of vans got through. They were there for less than a week, and I never found out how they had been persuaded to leave.

Back to the OP, Peckham Rye is public land, owned by Southwark Council as far as I know - surely there's a different process involved in moving the travellers on?

Some nice bike tyre tracks across the grass, and piles of rubbish bags this morning. :(

I believe it's due to start but not sure of dates. Either way, allowing a traveler's site to become more established would mean it's harder to clear later.... it would possibly get bigger too.

While I'm not making comment about whether I think travelers should be there or not in general, it's better to nip it in the bud.

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Pierre Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> >

> >

> > piles of rubbish bags this morning. :(

>

>

> You'd rather they didn't bag up their rubbish?

No, I'd rather they carried their rubbish the less-than-100m to the nearest bin.

They'll have problems if they stay for more than a month or so - the area where they're parked turns into a bit of a bog for most of late autumn and winter.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> KK you should try having them turn up in your

> classroom for a few days. Given that this country

> ALWAYS puts the pupils in their own age group

> regardless of their level of education, the

> disruption is unacceptable.

That says more about the education in this country,Uncle Glen are you saying the disruption

is caused by travellers children not being able

to keep up with your level of teaching,

is caused by travellers children not being able

to keep up with your level of teaching,

Surely the issue here is that traveller's children's education is very disrupted (necessarily) and thus that they may well not be at an equivalent age level (in terms of what they have been taught) to children in regular education. This makes no judgement (as far as I can see) about innate ability, but rather more about actual time spent learning. The less time you have exposed to teaching, the further 'back' you might be expected to be.

All schools have a system in place for the many

Children who cannot keep up with an institutional

Learning, for whatever reason the child has difficulties. A different kind of teaching does

not reflect learning being neither behind or in front, it is merely different. I can see where it

would be difficult for both teacher and pupil, when child has been used to learning in a very different way. It just seems a shame our education

system make it hard to recognise and welcome instead of only seeing a problem.