Cycle route suggestions

brenth85

I've lived here for a little while now and I've realised that I know little of SE London away from the main roads, I have become a slave to bus route of the 176! Therefore I am attempting to see more of what's around by getting on my bike and am after any suggested routes, ideally heading south and off the beaten track / through the parks etc, anything from 10-30 miles would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Not exactly that much off the beaten track, but for weekend exercise we have a nice loop: Surrey Canal path from behind Peckham library, through Burgess Park, up Portland Street to New Kent Road and on to Elephant, then on the brilliant new cycle tracks up Blackfriars Bridge road, turn right onto Webber Street which is the start of the new and stunning quietway which takes you all the way to Greenwich. Go through the footunnel (where you can ride now if the sign is green and reads "consider pedestrians," otherwise push), follow the Thames path round the river to Limehouse, join the Cable Street cycle path which takes you to Tower Hill and the start of the east-west segregated superhighway which takes you back to Blackfriars. Then you can go home (it's about a 20 mile circuit) or push on up to Westminster, Horseguards, the Mall, Constitution Hill, through Hyde Park and up to Lancaster Gate, that bit is particularly brilliant on Sundays when the Mall and Constitution Hill are closed to motor vehicles but not bikes (though this Sunday there's the Royal Parks half marathon so those roads will all be closed to all traffic). It's a terrific route and with the cycle tracks and the quietway it's very safe as well. Enjoy - let us know if you find any good ones, won't you!

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Waterlink Way

> https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/sport/get-act

> ive/walking/Documents/WaterlinkWayMap.pdf

Hi Malumbu, quick question if you don't mind before going out to explore this with Mrs.H at the weekend - is the whole route suitable for a road bike or are there bits only suitable for crossers/mountains?

@rendelharris from Ladywell South is definitely all paved paths and roads, apart from the South Norwood Country Park if you choose to have a spin around that which is a bit rougher, might struggle on a road bike. North of Ladywell it looks to be all paved as well.

Waterlink way is all paved and reasonably well signed, there are spurs off it to explore and you can pop into both Wickes and Screwfix if you are that way inclined. Interesting change of scenary Lower Sydenham to Beckkeham! Shame some of the 1930s small industrial units are going. Gentle/flat as it follows the river. Fortunately it doesn't go as far as West Wickham.

malumbu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Waterlink way is all paved and reasonably well

> signed, there are spurs off it to explore and you

> can pop into both Wickes and Screwfix if you are

> that way inclined. Interesting change of scenary

> Lower Sydenham to Beckkeham! Shame some of the

> 1930s small industrial units are going.

> Gentle/flat as it follows the river. Fortunately

> it doesn't go as far as West Wickham.

A Wickes, a Screwfix, a cyclepath and a coffee shop? Who knew Nirvana was five miles off our doorstep!