When should I put out a bird feeder

Rob tolfts

You can put out a bird feeder all year round, try and position it so cats can't ambush the birds whilst feeding. Squirrel proof feeders are necessary too if you have them in your garden, otherwise they scoff the lot.

Personally I use sunflower heart seeds, they are great energy wise for the birds. They also don't start growing when they inevitably drop to the ground whilst the birds feed on them.

Lots of good advice here...http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/helpingbirds/feeding/

I live on third floor and still have to have squirrel proof bird feeders as the squirrels can climb up scaffolding even if it as the other end of the block, and sometimes even just planting and brickwork. I would also suggest the 'squirrel proof' bit being as wide out as possible as I have recently witnessed parakeets quite easily able to get through the narrower bit at the top and bottom of the smaller squirrel proof ones. I have three: one for nuts one for seeds and one for fatballs. The fatballs are more popular in winter but some birds still go for it. I also have 2 bird boxes up here but only one is ever used. We think the one that is not was a better location for them and more hidden. But we have show-offy blue tits who visit every spring and breed, and want a prime Nunhead location visible to all.

Once got a squirrel trapped in a feeder, the bugger. As they are vermin you are supposed to dispose of them, but couldn't bring myself to do it. Scared it with a cat frightener device and its heart was jumping of its body (that was to give it a lesson so it wouldn't come back). It's eyes were bulging out of its head. After it came back to life managed to tease open the feeder to let it out, avoiding it biting my hands. Wasn't at all grateful.