Toilet under the stairs - is it really worth it?

Calsug

We're considering getting one fitted as only have 1 upstairs bathroom at the moment and if/when we have kids think with it might be worth it!?

The trouble is it's quite a small space and will require moving the gas meter and mains water pipe before work even starts

Combine that with the waste pipe unfortunately being on the other side of the house so a sani flow would be needed and no window so ventilation ducting under the floor also needed

The real question is that it's looking like a very expensive project for what will be a pokey toilet - anyone got any views either for or against - feel I need a sanity check on this one

Thanks

Calsug

our downstairs loo is on the site of the original outside loo- all the drains and pipes are already there somewhere underneath. I've seen quite a few people do this, sometimes adding a shower too. It is a boxed off square off the kitchen at the garden end.

Unfortunately that's not possible as the previous owners knocked the rear bit down and opened up the back for bi-folds (which we really like)

The only other option is to do something with the side bit where there are some doors off the dining room ( soil pipe is there so it would be easy) but then we would lose the light from them + a window in the kitchen too

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> our downstairs loo is on the site of the original

> outside loo- all the drains and pipes are already

> there somewhere underneath. I've seen quite a few

> people do this, sometimes adding a shower too. It

> is a boxed off square off the kitchen at the

> garden end.

Calsug Wrote:

> if/when we have kids

0-1: non-essential

2+: probably best, unless like one family I've stayed with you manage the situation by having (a) all boys, and (b) relaxed views about passing water al fresco. (It works for them!)

Ha thanks Bob, I might use my own plumber thanks! ;)

Anyone got rough ideas of getting the WC fitted, the number I have in mind is 3-4 K

Also there seems to be some confusion as to who is responsible / able to move my gas meter to the other wall (a massive distance of 1 metre)

SGN looked at it but said as the distance was so small my provider could do it when I had my meter changed but I had a new smart meter fitted today and my provider said that SGN would have to move it?!

It is 100 percent worth doing and don't split your upstairs bathroom from the toilet. It will devalue your home. If you ever plan to extend downstairs via a side return that would be the most cost effcie t way to approach it but if that's not I. Your plans I'd say go for it now.

Personally, I think the outside toilet it going to make a comeback. Once all the loft conversions, side extensions and basements have been completed, the good denizens of East Dulwich will be looking for new ways to put their unique stamp to a property.

In the fullness of time, there may well be a thread on here entitled: "Stairs over the outside toilet - is it really worth it".

I'm literally re-arranging my drains to support a DOUBLE outside toilet block (albeit into a cess pit and out in the country).

Back on subject, a couple of years ago I had a quite large bathroom, which I've now split into a moderate-sized bathroom (bath/shower/sink/WC) plus separate loo (WC/sink).

KidKruger Wrote:

> I'm literally re-arranging my drains to support a

> DOUBLE outside toilet block (albeit into a cess

> pit and out in the country).

You're way ahead of the curve, KK.

Future buyers on a second viewing will turn to each other and say: "I love the spiral staircase wine cellar and the dedicated home cinema - but darling, where are we going to locate the cess pit?".

Would love to do this but it would block the entrance to my survivalist bunker full of pot noodles(1) and guns(2)

The end of days is almost upon us(3), mark my words brothers and sisters and when it comes no toilet is going to flush away my chance of surviving.

Notes:

1. Tesco's allowing

2. Supplied by toys and guns r us

3. Caused by trump winning the presidential election

I'll be a rebel, buck the trend, and answer the question.

Yep got a bog under the stairs. Fortunately there is room for a proper waste pipe rather than one of those turd grinding things.

To save space we got an intgegrated we/sink where you wash with clean water that then fills the cistern. Only cold mind you. Special model from Australia which fitted myself (there was a lovely pink more trad loo there before.

When Mr Bennison did our central heating boiler his workers thought it most wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf6qZMF9I70

Now find they are all the rage and much cheaper in price than our more top of the range

http://www.diy.com/departments/cooke-lewis-duetto-close-coupled-toilet-with-integrated-basin-with-soft-close-seat/160720_BQ.prd

malumbu Wrote:

> However the cost of the Australian toilet will

> have rocketted since I bought mine due to the week

> pound, perhaps I should have bouught a job lot.

> Sorry for digressing. wc/sink not we/sink which

> sounds like a combined urinal sink.

I was so intrigued by this concept, which I'd never heard of, that I Googled it - what a great concept, one can even get them at B&Q now and at a very reasonable price: http://www.diy.com/departments/cooke-lewis-duetto-close-coupled-toilet-with-integrated-basin-with-soft-close-seat/160720_BQ.prd

malumbu Wrote:

> ...wc/sink not we/sink which

> sounds like a combined urinal sink.

That would save even more space...

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2013/07/12/20111003_stand_print_10_vert-40db0f87d245dbdcaeba34ba1059c43ca7d83d4c-s300-c85.jpg