Leaving car running

lavender27

Is it right for someone to leave their car running for a long time, in residential area, when they are not about to drive off. Not sure if anyone was in the car or not , the fumes were coming into my living room, I shut the window. It was running for about 10 minutes and this has happened before. I am not sure who this car belongs to.

It is illegal to leave your engine idling whilst stationary for any appreciable period (Road Traffic Act section 42 says Google) - ?40 fine. If it's left idling unattended I believe I'm right in saying that the absent driver can be charged with driving without due care or failing to maintain control of a vehicle, something like that. Though as POUS says, a polite word or note first might do the trick.

Its a no brainer. Sadly there are a lot of people with no brain. It wastes fuel and adds to pollution. Sadly the cops wont take action (in fact many of them have no brains too) but some local authorities do get their enforcement officers to do so. FPN.

If you ask a no-brain to carry out a no-brainer action and turn it off, you are likely to get abuse.

Cars are being progressively fitted with stop start which will switch the engine off.

You no longer need to let cars warm up.

Many leave them idling whilst tbey make a call or on one recent occasion smoke a joint. For once I would have been happy to grass (ha ha) on them if a bizzy had come by.

• 4 weeks later...