The Plough Pub

JADED

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I've just heard from one of its regulars that the Plough, the last "punch-up-pub" on the Lane is to close next week and is to be converted into a gastro pub. This may be a good thing as, despite several facelifts, it's always been pretty ghastly, but does Lordship Lane need yet another GP?

So, with this (and with the Forest Hill Tavern - sorry - "FHT" already mid-refit) there can't be many places left to undergo the knife of development. Will the vultures start to circle around the CPT?

my local... my beloved local

I'm almost shocked, I thought like scorpions that place would be around forever

Does LL need another gastropub? I think the "gastropub" term gets bandied around way too much - it's used for any pub that dares charge more than ?4 for a steak. Howver, Does LL need The Plough completely upgraded - YES

As you say it may be easier said than done - but as Mockney says, a Hoopers/Ivanhoe refit will do perfectly - although I suspect it will be more Vale-ish

I really wanted this to happen - about a year ago then i started going in there and found it ok, especially for footie nights. i also question the need for another gastropub, i liked the spit, sawdust and ?2.45 guiness.

if anything, this should help the top of LL area in general though.

I'm with Sean on this one. It needs sorting out, but I don't think another Palmerston would be a good idea. (Not that I don't like the Palmerston; we just don't really need another one.)

Like Sean, I find the 'gastropub' label a bit irritating as well. What is a 'gastropub' anyway? It's such an old-hat term these days. It seems to come down to the food costing a couple of quid extra, the plates being large and white, and a nice font being used on the menu.

If you're hard-pressed to get a takeaway for less than a fiver, I don't think ?6-?9 is out of order in a pub, where they put it on a plate, bring it to you and let you sit there and eat it.

Great news. How about turning it into a decent venue for live bands? Could be posh indie style like the Edinburgh Castle in Camden, that would be ace! With a barbecue in summer. I am dreaming now.

PS I have a suspicion that the majority of people lamenting the decline of the traditional spit 'n' sawdust boozer - dare I suggest it? - don't actually frequent them. Anyone who actually likes pubs like the Plough should consider moving to Lewisham, where they are in abundance.

I like the Edinburgh Castle.. tis a good pub.

I'd love it if ED had some (one?) pub a little more down the Camden line. Rough and Ready doesn't mean you have to get a glass in your face for looking at someone in a funny way. I remember the pubs of my youth (sigh).. slightly grotty in a good way, band posters haphazardly plastered over the walls, old knackered leather sofas and a jukebox - and they were full of punters (mostly, er, under-age)

I honestly think such a place would do well here. The only thing that comes close is Inside 72, which has a really nice vibe (oddly though, when myself and Mrs*Bob* moved here, I-72 initially looked the least appealing. We woz wrong!)

the 'new' plough will actually be closer to dulwich park than the dog and so will be frequented by all the park goers that come back through the court lane gate.

so that should give you some idea of what its going to be like.

i really hated the plough until i went in there and then found it full of friendly poeple, this was in the last year though. before the 21 age limit and the no drug dealing policy shirts were definitely optional and skunk was on tap in the garden.

Funnily enough the Edinburgh Castle been done up, the Edinboro Castle is now somewhere between gastro and hoxtontw*t territory.

The Hawley Arms is all done up and, annoyingly for me as it's one of the few pubs i genuinely like in the area, a bl00dy celebs hang out.

The Worlds End was always a horrific replacement for the Red Cap and even the Half Way house is now a desperately poncified 'Camden Eye' so it's not just an East Dulwich disease believe me.

Oh and of course the addition of Gilgamesh above the horse stables market is deemed by many to be the nail in the coffin to old camden.

I remember when it was all fields of course

As someone who lives reasonably near The Plough and - as recently as three years ago actually went in there - I say tear it down and put a great pub in its place. And do something about the car park - like a great Herne-style garden for the little 'uns so us responsible grown-ups who've accepted that we're not 22 anymore and have got on with our adult lives have a choice of places to go for organic rib roasts and cheese plates.

Inside 72 is good, a bit small though!! I do like music-oriented pubs along the camden lines, but I'm not sure ED is the right place for something like that... after all, it's a primarily residential area, unlike Camden Town.

Given the popularity of Inside 72 I reckon there is definitely room for another Camden/indie style hangout. A gastropub with a bit of an edge. We already have more than enough Clapham-style places.

Don't think something as raw as the Dublin Castle would work, that's real Camden stylee.

Yeah definitely! Maybe a bit like the Boogaloo but less pretentious (if Highgate can do rock & roll why not Dulwich)!? Music in Inside 72 has flashes of brilliance btw (I was in there once when they played Jeepster by T-Rex. You don't get that in the Bishop).