Sticking one to the hipster burger bores...

DovertheRoad

In had one of the best burgers I've ever had today. And it wasn't in a perfectly recreated approximation of a lower east side diner staffed with tatt-beards. Or with some bore banging on about how they've steam finished the patty. It was at...The Dulwich Woodhouse of all places and was topped with pulled pork and green chilli. Brioche bun etc.

I know the woodhouse has come in for some stick since it was sterilised years back...but the latest refurb / layout works really well for all. They've created a more adult space up back . A sprawling lower conservatory area for families with kids. And outdoors features a burger shack dorectly linked to the main kitchen. Good IPAs and beers and they made a stellar effort for the kids today with Halloween stuff. And the food arrived hot and on time?

And really...really..good beard-bore free burgers.

It's still a pub fox. They have a bar, they sell pints of beer.

Whether it's a pub that you like or not is a completely different matter.

It's a place I wouldn't bother with if I didn't have kids if I'm honest. But it's handy in the summer for a pitstop pint in the garden. Probably only go there a couple of times a year. But at least they have the space for kids, so it doesn't feel like they're running around your feet. Unlike somewhere like the Herne.

DovertheRoad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > :))

> >

> > Looking forward to a walk through the woods and

> a

> > drink in the Wood House, pleased to hear it is

> now

> > worth going to, its last incarnation was

> > horrendous . .

>

> What could possibly go wrong? :-)

Depends if they have a book sale on :))

They don't do bubble and squeak do they? :)

DovertheRoad Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> -----

> > :))

> >

> > Looking forward to a walk through the woods and

> a

> > drink in the Wood House, pleased to hear it is

> now

> > worth going to, its last incarnation was

> > horrendous . .

>

> What could possibly go wrong? :-)

I first drunk there 30 years ago. It was one of my favourite pubs irrespective of the then grumpy landlord and lady. I've given it a go on every refurb and like most of the Youngs Estate it is now horrid. And such a lovely location. You are welcome to it!

Good pubs get plenty of comments on various sites such as this. Only one sad person appears to have had any views in the last 18 months.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/41/4129/Dulwich_Woodhouse/Sydenham

Here's a real pub

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/29/2991/Blythe_Hill_Tavern/Forest_Hill

No food but they allow you to bring a takeaway. What's not too like? And you can combine it with a nice walk too.

Interesting to compare whether (DW) it is as bad as the Herne. In terms of building and beer worse, but perhaps for controlling ankle biters better.

My daughter first visited the Blythe when she was a few days old. I am sure that she enjoyed it.

Ok we went.

Walk through woods lovely.

Wood House greatly improved.

Staff all lovely.

But I'd forgotten it was a Young's pub.

Roast was just about ok except for the potatoes which were not even slightly crispy.

Would go back for a pint or two (though not the Youngs) but wouldn't make a special trip. And I wouldn't eat there again. Probably.

I strolled up there one Saturday afternoon with a girl mate and the dog, through the woods from Harvester and back when it was well dark. We had a couple of beers and food off the menu, then some shots.

The staff were very nice and did I thought more than they needed to to get the job done.

Meal was definitely fine absolutely no complaints.

The decor ? Dunno didn't really notice, was out for a beer not an ideal homes exhibition.

Can't think why I wouldn't go back there.

Turns out it was late enough eventually for most younger kids to have gone and it was quite peaceful where we were sat.

Dog was given some treats and water too.

Hopefully this'll balance some of the posts above.

People going there for a roast and getting disappointed. It's a Youngs pub. I'd take it over M&B any day. But its never going to win the "beat roast" thread.The main menu fare is passable nothing more. HOWEVER THE BURGERS I HAD WERE BRILLIANT. The draft beer selection is good.

Strangely for its location and age the place still lacks any definable character after several sterile refurbs. But functionally it works and that's what you want when you have young kids.

I had a genuinely decent roast in there. It surprised me as it was a youngs pub and I've eaten at the clock house three times and had three bad experiences (including not long after they reopened- a tomato salad, which was about 6 cherry tomatoes cut in half on a plate. That was literally it. A fiver).

But the Woodhouse was a real pleasant surprise. Fantastic staff too.

Seabag Wrote:

> I sense a lack of sleep

>

> I thought the Dog in the village ok once

It was 30 odd years ago when it was full of Bikers and good beer... and does anyone remember a tiny bar at the front

that in earlier days had been 'Men Only' area..

Foxy.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Seabag Wrote:

> -----

> > I sense a lack of sleep

> >

> > I thought the Dog in the village ok once

>

> It was 30 odd years ago when it was full of Bikers

> and good beer... and does anyone remember a tiny

> bar at the front

> that in earlier days had been 'Men Only' area..

>

> Foxy.

I went there 20 odd years ago, when the fur coat and no knickers landlady was there.

And 'men' of the area came there, drank beer, snorted coke in the bogs and smoked fags at a rate of knots at the bar.

I think it was 'men only' by the very nature of how the place ran, tho I did often see some ladies there too.

Many of those have migrated to the Bricklayers in Dartmouth Road, Sydenham now.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> The bikers was 40 years ago. I know because they

> were (mostly) friends of mine.

Yes you are right. It was '74 when I passed MY motorcycle test.. just lost track of time..

I was introduced to the pub by a Biker that I worked with (GPO) and lived in the council houses on Dekker Rd.

Nice guy.. cannot remember his name.

Foxy..

I had a mate 25 years ago and he had a motorbike, it was all shiny and he'd drive up and down on it, well one time he asked me to take some portraits of him and his bike for posterity so I borrowed a mate's 20mm Nikkor lens and did these crazy wide angle shots from the front axle looking up the forks of the front wheel to the handlebars and my mate's head and body were framed by the shape of the handlebars and his arms. It looked really cool.

Oh, and the pics were taking really early one morning on the putting green of a golf course. I think it was mid-late summer.

rendelharris Wrote:

> Cor that looks good (The Blythe) - never even

> heard of it yet alone been there, shall rectify

> soon! Is there any way of accessing the garden to

> lock a bike up rather than leaving it on the

> street?

Always leave mine strapped up outside but ask and Con will let you take it through, tell him the tall biker said it would be fine. Do check out and report back and ignore any snidy comments