When to chase a builder for a quote

Hickory

My assumption is that when they agree to come, they are interested in lining up new work. Then they come, and either decide on the spot they don't want to do it (for whatever reason) and appear interested just to be polite, or are interested but then before they prepare the quote they visit another job to quote on and like that one better, so kind of forget the others...

I agree with above, after three weeks, they aren't interested.

bobbsy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My assumption is that when they agree to come,

> they are interested in lining up new work. Then

> they come, and either decide on the spot they

> don't want to do it (for whatever reason) and

> appear interested just to be polite, or are

> interested but then before they prepare the quote

> they visit another job to quote on and like that

> one better, so kind of forget the others...

It cuts both ways, home owners often don't bother to tell an unsuccessful quoter that they won't be requiring their services...

This is very common with builders particularly. My theory is basic economics -that demand is mostly always greater than supply and so they're free to pick the easiest jobs with the highest margin. Also, the best builders don't have trouble finding work...they're always over subscribed and having an introducer or architect can help get to them.

All of this means that the guys who come round and quote eagerly or cheaply can often be the poor ones and the whole process comes down to luck.

I would try talking to a design or architect firm for recommendations and also be prepared to look just outside in Kent where prices can be cheaper but they're still prepared to drive into London each day.