How often do your frequent and support East Dulwich's restaurants?

Mick Mac

I feel that I go out quite a lot (young family considered) but when I think of how long since I last went to some ED restaurants until recently (or how often) I realise I'm not really getting to use them as much as I'd like to

So on the basis of 1) most recent visit & 2) prior visit ...

Franklins - September 2016 / 2014

Palmerston - September 2016 / summer 2016

Yama Momo - October 2016 / summer 2016 (possibly quarterly)

Le Chardon - March 2016 / 2014

Tandoori Nights - May 2016 / 2015

Sema Thai - 2000 / N/A

Thai Corner Caf? - 2005 / 2000

The Lordship - June 2016 / February 2016

Franco Manca - March 2016/ late 2015

Meat Liquour - not so far

ToastED - never

Mr Bao - twice

Bahn Bahn - once

The Rye - twice in 2016

Burro - not yet

Peddar - never

Spinach - not yet

Mr Liu - 2008 / 2005

Le Chandelier - 2014 / 2012

Burro e Salvia - nope

Hisar - 2015 / 2014

Obviously there is a lot of weekend brunching on LL such as BJADE etc but i'm wondering if I'm representative? And as these restaurants are often busy, people must be using them more than me. :(

PS: I'm generally excluding curry houses...

For food.. from Mick's list

Franklins - Never.

Palmerston - Never.

Yama Momo - Never.

Tandoori Nights - Cant remember

Sema Thai - 2000 ?

Thai Corner Caf? - When it first open ?

The Lordship - Never.

Franco Manca - Never.

Meat Liquour - Never.

ToastED - Never.

Mr Bao - Never.

Bahn Bahn - Never.

The Rye - Never.

Foxy

Franklins - Once for breakfast about two years ago.

Palmerston - Once for sunday lunch last year

Yama Momo - never

Le Chardon - three times, including an excellent Christmas day lunch last year

Tandoori Nights - Never

Sema Thai - Never

Thai Corner Caf? - once this year

The Lordship - never

Franco Manca - at least ten times

ToastED - once for a wonderful meal

Mr Bao - never

Bahn Bahn - never

The Rye - once

Surma- many times

EDT- many times

Mr Liu- a couple of times

Le Chandelier- RIP, many times

The Clockhouse - twice

Burro e Salvia - twice recently

Hisar- many times

I would say I go out to eat in East Dulwich / Peckham about once a week.

52 meals a year sounds like a lot but given how many restaurants there are, even if you really spread it around, most wouldn't get a look in.

The one's I've been to most recently are Spinach (decent) and Mr Bao. Mr Boa I've been to around 3 times this year. I've been to Miss Tapas a couple of times this year, ToastED a few times. The Rye I've been to quite regularly cause I do their pub quiz with friends.

I've probably been to the Picture House Cafe and Blue Mountain half a dozen times each. I've been to Burro e Salvia 3 or 4 times this year. Franco Manca the same. We've had Sunday lunch at the revamped Cherry Tree twice.

I've been to the Lordship 3 times maybe. Sema Thai, 3 times. The Actress 1 (the Rugby was on), The Bishop 3 times. Pedder 3 times. Bahn Bahn 1. Rosies 1. I don't eat out at the Indian restaurants but order in.

I'm expecting at the moment so haven't been to Yama Momo recently but otherwise go a few times a year. Also, haven't been into MeatLicquor as I like medium burgers and can't have them so why bother.

I used to go to Franklins and the Palmerston loads but for some reason haven't this year (must put that right).

We go to the Brickhouse and Oddonos quite regularly as well but I wouldn't call that eating out.

You really

And its about restaurants, not eating out generally, ie I wasn't really including cafes and pubs, just the ones listed by me above and Titch's additions, plus Peddar and Spinach from LM too I guess - I have updated the OP list

I'm interested in how long its been since people did last go to these restaurants....

Franklins - once

Palmerston - never

Yama Momo - never

Le Chardon - never

Tandoori Nights - three or four times, last time a few months ago

Sema Thai - three or four times, last time ages ago

Thai Corner Caf? - once

The Lordship - five or six times (including as The Mag etc), last time recently

Franco Manca - five or six times, last time recently

ToastED - never

Mr Bao - never

Bahn Bahn - never

The Rye - never

Surma - many times

EDT - six or seven times, last time six months ago or so

Mr Liu - six or seven times, last time ages ago

Le Chandelier - never

The Clockhouse - once

Burro e Salvia - never

Hisar - many times, last time recently

Duleich Tandoori - many times, last time recently

Gosh, that looks unexciting :-) Actually, if we 'go out', we're inclined to go further afield (Peckham Bazaar, Camberwell Arms, Catford Constitutional, Ganapati...).

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Funny how my top three are youR least favourite

> BNG.

Intending to try Yama Momo on your recommendation, in fact :-) The other two have a similar offering to the excellent Camberwell Arms, which is a shade cheaper and also doesn't have an East Dulwich clientele ;-)

Most of them. But tend to frequent the newer ones for novelty value. Not a thread for reviews but a couple of things:

- I like ToastED but have tired of it's quirky menu and pureed "small plates". Still it is very good.

- The Lordship Pub - continues to be quietly popular long after opening and is now nicely steady, quieter on week nights but humming at weekends with a sit down kind of crowd but has been VERY consistent. The food is good and decently priced esp tuesday and Wed night deals. Sunday lunch is excellent there. Well worth a look if you've not been for a while.

I've been to all of them I think, apart from Lordship (a bit out of the way for me). But these days most of our eating out is informal family friendly places at lunch time. Franco Manca, Hisar, Honest Burgers, work for us, as well as some of the pubs. Franklins, Palmerston, ToastED all decent but a bit expensive for a meal which could be ruined at any point by a bad tempered erratic toddler.

Newcomers Bahn Bahn and Beautiful Pizza Boy are convenient and local... but IMO the food isn't quite there yet.

I was a regular at Hisar a few (5) years back.. Most Sunday afternoons after beer session.

It used to be very good quality/quantity and was reasonably priced..

It did remain superior to Koz wich was dreadful...

It does not seem to offer the same quality these days. (Didn't they have a change of ownership a while back)

and certainly not the same value.. Very mediocre IMHO.

All places seem to have highs and lows.. Perhaps I need to give it another go.

just need to arrange a mortgage. :)

Foxy

Franklins - never

Palmerston - never

Yama Momo - never

Le Chardon - once

Tandoori Nights - several times

Sema Thai - once

Thai Corner Caf? - once

The Lordship - several times

Franco Manca - probably around 3 times

Meat Liquour - 3 times so far

ToastED - never

Mr Bao - never

Bahn Bahn - never

The Rye - a couple of times

Surma - many times

EDT - many times

Mr Liu - never

Le Chandelier - once

The Clockhouse - once

Burro e Salvia - never

Hisar - a few times

Dulwich Tandoori - many times

Since moving to ED in 2006...

Franklins - 5-6 times to eat another dozen or so just to drink

Palmerston - 3-4 times, then as above

Yama Momo - no

Le Chardon - 4-5 times

Tandoori Nights - once

Sema Thai - no

Thai Corner Caf? - no

The Lordship - no (except the 2 for 1 pizzas when it was the Mag and a few times in various incarnations to drink)

Franco Manca - 15+ times (mostly take away)

Meat Liquour - once (so far but will again)

ToastED - no

Mr Bao - no

Bahn Bahn - no

The Rye - no

Burro - no

Peddar - no

Spinach - no

Mr Liu - no

Le Chandelier - no

Burro e Salvia - no

Hisar - 5-10 times but not for a couple of years

plus...

French House - 5 times

Great Exhibition - 10 times

Olivellis - once

Il Mirto - 3-4 times

House of Tippler 2-3 times to eat 20+ times to drink

GBK - no

Used to like:

Draft House - good steaks/burgers

Flying Pig - good pork etc.

Cafe Noodle

Used most curry places but tend to stick to Curry Cabin and Jaflong

I'm beginning to think maybe I'm about average in total attendance at restaurants - but interesting to see who goes where, and people who have never been to the Palmerston or Franklins for example. I find that surprising as although they are higher end establishments, their lunch menus are good value if just to try them out.

And yes I understand that with a big local population, it only takes occasional visits by a large proportion of the people for them to have enough clientele to do well.

Franklins - twice. Drinking/smoking 100

Palmerston - once. Drinking/watching fights 1,000

Yama Momo - God no.

Le Chardon - 50. Fish soup and a gallon of red

Tandoori Nights - twice

Sema Thai - twice

Thai Corner Caf? - once. Claustrophobia

The Lordship - once. As the Magdala 50

Franco Manca - no, not until they get some chairs.

Meat Liquour - Probably never. Young people

ToastED - no

Mr Bao - no. What?

Bahn Bahn - no. Why?

The Rye - no

Burro - no. Where?

Peddar - twice but never again. Claustrophobia, clatter and weird beards

Spinach - no

Mr Liu - Back in the day. The wife likes it

Le Chandelier - no

Burro e Salvia - no

Hisar - twice

French House - no. Benches

Great Exhibition - no. CPT boozing - ever such a lot

Olivellis - once. Bland factor five

Il Mirto - no

House of Tippler - no. Four drinks fifty quid type no

GBK - no. Spaghetti Westons. Yes. All night once.

The Surma 2,000

Draft House - no

Flying Pig - no

Cafe Noodle - no

Si Mingia (have I spelt that right?) loads

The Palmerston used to be my favourite place Mick Mac. I think not being able to get in without a reservation a few times makes me now think of it as some place I need to plan to go rather than just pop in. Also, the more formal vibe means I tend not to go there for a more relaxed / rowdy meal with friends. The more casual gastropubs seem to be better for hanging out in.