Please - Chinese translation

tomdhu

The Google Translate app says the heading is Recording setting and the four options are:

Image resolution

Auto recording

camera interval

Timestamp

Not sure how reliable that is. If you use google translate and download Chinese it will give you live translations off the screen. Good luck!

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Prawn balls

> Chow mien

> Prawn crackers

> Peking duck

>

> ???????

ha ha ha , thank you Artful, I was looking for some humour this morning, you have made me smile. Have a great day yourself. x

katanita Wrote:

> The Google Translate app says the heading is

> Recording setting and the four options are:

>

> Image resolution

> Auto recording

> camera interval

> Timestamp

I asked my son anyway. Only slight differences were:

1. Same

2. Same

3. Camera Space

4. Diary

Jeremy Wrote:

> Bob Buzzard Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Is it in Mandarin or Cantonese?

>

>

> Neither. Mandarin and Cantonese are spoken

> dialects, there's no such thing as Cantonese or

> Mandarin writing

>

Ignorant bloke with Wikipedia (me) alert: "standard written Chinese is based on a standard spoken language ("Mandarin") and previously on Classical Chinese. Although most other varieties of Chinese are not written, there are traditions of written Cantonese, written Hokkien, and written Shanghainese, among others."

Jeremy Wrote:

> Interesting. My source shall be severely

> chastised.

>

> But generally both Cantonese and Mandarin speakers

> use simplified or traditional Chinese writing...

Yes true - been an interesting subject to look into, apparently although the writing's generally the same the differences in pronunciation are so marked that a Mandarin speaker can't understand a Cantonese speaker and vice-versa even if they are reading from exactly the same text.

rendelharris Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> -----

> > Interesting. My source shall be severely

> > chastised.

> >

> > But generally both Cantonese and Mandarin

> speakers

> > use simplified or traditional Chinese

> writing...

>

> Yes true - been an interesting subject to look

> into, apparently although the writing's generally

> the same the differences in pronunciation are so

> marked that a Mandarin speaker can't understand a

> Cantonese speaker and vice-versa even if they are

> reading from exactly the same text.

Man daring is an umberella term for GuanHua, a collection of dialects from northern china, known in China as Putonghua & it has 4 tones; some Mandarin speakers have difficulty understanding regional 'accents' used to speak mandarin and there are also numerous local dialects. The shanghainese dialect is like two people having a row - very raucous to other mandarin speakers. Cantonese is known as GuangdongHua [from the Guangdong province] & it has 9 tones. Cantonese is spoken in Guangdong, Hong Kong, Macau & Fujian & for putonghua speakers learning cantonese is like us learning french. Mandarin speakers characterize cantonese as like dogs barking [rude but somewhat true] - Pure Mandarin is from Beijing & is very soft on the ear - it was the language used by the civil service in olden times. Until the 60's both used the same set of characters now known as Traditional characters but in the 1960's the Chinese government created a simplified version to aid greater literacy & printing. Taiwan & Singapore still speak Putonghua but use the traditional characters and Hong Kong created a further Hong Kong supplementary character set [traditional] in 1999. Putonghua is always developing mainly through composite characters making up modern words especially technical & scientific terms but calligraphers usually use traditional characters when they are composing. Complicated..! I got to about 100 words & stick at that - hello, good bye, goodnight, may I have the bill please, thank you etc.

I've had the same trouble with a couple of devices, before learning the lesson of recording the menu schema.

I suspect that you'll need to find a different submenu. In theory you could traverse the menu tree and do it blind by trial and error. A few signposts in the shape of Chinese characters to be looking for would provide additional help. I've checked some of my Chinese menus against the Google Translate Chinese versions. What I got for "Chinese" and "English" (ensure upper case first letter) seemed to match my menu items. Check just the right hand two symbols if there are any others: they're probably just qualifying the type of Chinese.

My Chinese ereader actually kindly displays some language names in English or the other language's own character set, even when the device is configured to show the menus in Chinese. Probably just as well, given that it seems to dynamically rejig menus from time to time. I also still have to discover whether or not my voice recorder actually contains, as advertised, an FM radio function. There's an RFSetting menu but entering it turns the menus back into Chinese. Damned cunning.

The first two attached menu items are from the ereader. The third, from the recorder, says

Language Set

Chinese

Traditional

English

• 5 months later...

rendelharris Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> -----

> > Bob Buzzard Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Is it in Mandarin or Cantonese?

> >

> >

> > Neither. Mandarin and Cantonese are spoken

> > dialects, there's no such thing as Cantonese or

> > Mandarin writing

> >

>

> Ignorant bloke with Wikipedia (me) alert:

> "standard written Chinese is based on a standard

> spoken language ("Mandarin") and previously on

> Classical Chinese. Although most other varieties

> of Chinese are not written, there are traditions

> of written Cantonese, written Hokkien, and written

> Shanghainese, among others."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

As a professional translator (for both Mandarin & Cantonese) am I in the position to provide an "official" translation for these menu items? :-)

Settings for the Recording

- Image resolution

- Auto recording

- Recording interval

- Timestamp

What are the differences between the Cantonese and Mandarin?

Mandarin and Cantonese are two SPOKEN styles/dialects of Chinese language.

Mandarin is the official state language of China and is the lingua franca of the country. It is in many areas the primary spoken language, including Beijing and Shanghai, although many provinces still retain their own local dialect. Mandarin is also the main dialect in Taiwan and Singapore. Cantonese language is spoken by the people of Hong Kong, Macau and Guangdong province, including Guangzhou (previously Canton in English). Most foreign Chinese communities, such as those in London and San Francisco, also speak Cantonese thanks to emigration from Guangdong.

So why didn't other Chinese dialects gain the same or similar importance in western world? Why don't we hear much of "Shanghainese", "Shandongnese" or "Sichuanese". This is because the Grangdong (Canton) province was the earliest in China to start its communication and economic exchange with the western world more than one hundred years ago (Hong Kong was then a small village lying on the south coast of Guangdong). Many Chinese people nowadays living in the United States are of Canton (Guangdong) origin, and their accent (Cantonese) is much more heard by western people than any other Chinese dialect was.