Architect / Architectural Technician advice

Frenchy

Would anyone be good enough to offer some advice or recommendations RE architects vs the other 'tech' incarnation?

We know what we want and we have a very capable builder we've used before - so what we're really looking for is someone to draw it up for submission to planning, perhaps with some input over the finer details of the design - but then leave the rest up to us and our builder.

Has anyone in a similar situation used an architectural technician (or whatever they're called) rather than an architect? Or found and used an architect who was happy with the low level of involvement?

Thanks

Either a good, chartered architect or good, chartered architectural technician should be suitable. With an emphasis on good and chartered!

You are not obliged to appoint them for full services throughout the project. So you could just agree that they take it to planning, or to detailed design and then work on a pro-rata hourly rate when and if required.

There are a lot of web based architectural technicians out there, who will have a low fee and will give you very little security in terms of the project meeting your needs, be fit for purpose, meet statutory requirements and building control. Some don't even visit the property. Stay away from these!

An architect will likely be less interested in a project that you think you have resolved already. A technician will be less likely to give you a holistic approach to all aspects of the project, taking into account design, planning, detailing, building control, tendering, procurement etc. However, I am sure there are good technicians out there who can do all of this and do it well.

It comes down to who you feel most willing to work with and who is keenest, most suitable for the job. I'd interview two of each and go from there.

T23