Wood burning Stoves.

DulwichFox

Anyone here had a Wood burning Stove fitted..

How much might a DEFRA approved Wood burning Stoves cost and how much for fitting.

Can you also burn Smokeless Coal in them..

Are they efficient to run and are they warm . I also have Central Heating.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

DulwichFox

Spent almost entire of last winter (bar 2x days) just using burner in lounge for heating, the idea being if you want to be warm go to lounge.

I have a large house so heating every day all winter can seem extravagant.

Costs of using a burner depend really on your use and whether you buy your fuel in bulk (which makes a huge difference to overall running costs).

Work out how big the room is in cubic metres, then divide by 14. That's the KWh rating you need, so if your room is 50 cubic metres then you'll need a wood burner that's about 3.5Kwh, don't be tempted to get a bigger one, it's inefficient.

I've got a Heta Inspire 45 http://www.whatstove.co.uk/heta-inspire-45-stove-reviews, it's 84% efficient and it's also approved for smoke control areasv, ery happy with it. You have to get a multifuel one if you want to burn coal.

BTW, that site, What Stove, is very good for reviews.

Try and get seasoned wood to burn, it's more efficient as wood with too much water in it uses up the energy to heat the water and not your room. Ash or beech is very good if you can get hold of it http://www.flamingfires.co.uk/which-wood-burns-best.htm

Yes they are warm but, depending on your house, it probably won't be a replacement for your central heating. Fitting costs will also depend on your house but you need to factor in getting a flue fitted, hearth, vermiculite (flue insulation) etc. Make sure you get a HETAS certified installer, and avoid anyone who charges to "test the fire". One company I saw had it as a ?100 line item, all they do is light some paper/kindling in the fire then say yes, it works. You might be looking at ?800 for a stove, and ?1,200+ for the rest including flue installation.

mine is 5kw, the largest you can have without an airbrick, Cleaview Pioneer, bought from The Forest Bailiff http://www.forestbailiff.co.uk/ and is one of the most efficient stoves on the market. Its in my kitchen'dining room and the warmth extends into the rest of the ground floor if I leave doors open, which I have to as it is so lovely and warm. It has a grate so you can use smokeless coal. There is another model you can stick a casserole in!

Thanks for all your replies.. I'm retired and at home most of the day in my Lounge.

Heating the whole house all day is inefficient and I do not need my bedroom to be too hot at night.

I have a very energy efficient Vaillant Combi boiler. I used to set the room stat to 21deg c all year round.

In the summer it does not fire up.

last year I set the room stat to 19 deg c and saved ?180.00 on my winter bills.

Like I said.. I'm here all day not out at work..

Would be nice to see a bit of a flame.

Foxy.

I have one in my lounge and its lovely. Agreed, its not worth heating the whole house. On the weekends, we use it if we are going to be hanging out in the lounge of an evening in place of turning on our central heating. They are very efficient. I can't remember exactly how much ours cost or the fitting costs. We also needed to get the chimney swept and lined. We bought ours from Casa on Bellenden Road back in 2013. If I had to guess, I would say all in it was around 2,500 and heats our two front reception rooms really well

I just had one installed and used a company called Stoake http://www.stoake.co.uk/wood-burning-stoves/?gclid=CMyesMmbutACFRPjGwod-QICwg

who I can thoroughly recommend. I had to have the chimney lined and swept and the old fireplace knocked out. It wasn't cheap but it is DEFRA approved and came with the HETAS certificate (which means they installed it properly and you won't get carbon monoxide poisoning).

I have only been burning wood in it for a few days and it was from the local petrol station - they advised me to get 'proper' wood which will burn much better. Mine won't burn coal (well, it will but you are not supposed to as it will damage chimney liner)

Mine is a Stovax - I couldn't have one with a bendy flue as my chimney was too narrow....Worth getting them in to quote.