Reinforcing Stereotypes

Henry_17

I see that the Best Western hotel that is being renovated on Peckham Road have erected a display in the courtyard of a yellow Reliant Regal complete with brown suitcase and Delboy and Rodney wax works. How long has this been there? If we in South East London are ever going to shake our image as good for nothing except making an exceptionally good deal this shameless appropriation our culture by corporate interests for their own financial gain really must stop.

I can't quite work out why anyone staying in a hotel would want to be surrounded by such tacky memorabilia (I believe the theme extends to the interior, complete with "luvly jubbly" stencilled onto the headboards).

I don't really see it as appropriation of Peckham's culture though, as in reality the show had little to do with Peckham.

Peckham and similar inner London areas had a history of working class wheeler dealers going back long before the BBC commissioned this show back in the 80's. The history of the docks and proximity of the river, along with the costermongers has always helped shape the culture and accent of these inner London neighbourhoods. Things have changed quite dramatically in the last thirty years or so, and perhaps this 'element' to the culture has dispersed and become less relevant to most living there now, but cultural elements still remain and have helped shape these places.

The BBC sitcom was only reinforcing that stereotyped cultural element, done in a tongue in cheek manner. If you take it seriously and don't laugh it off for what it is, then you really must be pretty stupid. Even the Daily Mail is being nice about Peckham now. Anyone who listens to this stuff and thinks that's what Peckham is 'really like' won't visit and that's probably a good thing, because they must be complete idiots. Everyone else who comes and sees the other side to the neighbourhood , clearly didn't take such stereotypes seriously in the first place and took them in good humour.

Louisa.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can't quite work out why anyone staying in a

> hotel would want to be surrounded by such tacky

> memorabilia (I believe the theme extends to the

> interior, complete with "luvly jubbly" stencilled

> onto the headboards).

>

> I don't really see it as appropriation of

> Peckham's culture though, as in reality the show

> had little to do with Peckham.

That is right ... None of the programmes were filmed in Peckham..

Mostly filmed in Ealing and Bristol.

The Nags Head Pub in Peckham was originally The Morning Star.

I do not remember ever seeing the outside of the Nags Head in the programme. Always the interior. (Studio).

Foxy

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/feb/03/cities-culture-peckham-only-fools-and-horses-del-boy-se15

"The Nag?s Head

There is a pub of the same name in Rye Lane, Peckham. But this blamelessly ungastropubified joint (very different from, say, more genteel SE15 establishments such as The Rye, with its sunken terrace and outdoor table tennis tables) was, sadly, never used as a location in the series. Instead, a vast range of boozers stood in for the Trotters? favourite watering hole, some of them in Bristol and at least one demolished. But not all. The London pubs used as locations for the Nag?s Head include the Middlesex Arms (Long Drive, South Ruislip, HA4 0HG) and the Bolton Hotel (Duke Road, Chiswick). In 2015, neither is the kind of place the Trotters would have patronised: the former serves mocktails, whatever they are, and the latter stopped being a pub in 1995 and was converted for residential use ? the unacceptable fate of many the British boozer in the post-Only Fools and Horses age."

Henry_17 Wrote:

> How long has this been there? If we in

> ?

> this shameless appropriation our culture by corporate interests

> for their own financial gain really must stop.

A couple of months now. When it first appeared, I noticed lots of drivers and passers-by pointing and laughing. If it gets attention and business, and keeps a local business in the black, and improves on the reputedly dire former Peckham Lodge, it's all good! :)

Louisa Wrote:

> Peckham and similar inner London areas had a

> history of working class wheeler dealers going

> back long before the BBC commissioned this show

> back in the 80's. The history of the docks and

> proximity of the river, along with the

> costermongers has always helped shape the culture

> and accent of these inner London neighbourhoods.

> Things have changed quite dramatically in the last

> thirty years or so, and perhaps this 'element' to

> the culture has dispersed and become less relevant

> to most living there now, but cultural elements

> still remain and have helped shape these places.

>

> The BBC sitcom was only reinforcing that

> stereotyped cultural element, done in a tongue in

> cheek manner. If you take it seriously and don't

> laugh it off for what it is, then you really must

> be pretty stupid. Even the Daily Mail is being

> nice about Peckham now. Anyone who listens to this

> stuff and thinks that's what Peckham is 'really

> like' won't visit and that's probably a good

> thing, because they must be complete idiots.

> Everyone else who comes and sees the other side to

> the neighbourhood , clearly didn't take such

> stereotypes seriously in the first place and took

> them in good humour.

>

> Louisa.

100% agree. More generally, not all stereotypes are harmful.