Service charge before service?

binkylilyput

Just want to ask about people's views/ experiences

I have made a booking for a group of friends for a Christmas get together at a bar/ restaurant (not in ED). The venue have been very specific/ rigid about the menu- they have a 'party' menu that mainly consists of shared platters. In order to make the booking I had to lay down a deposit. They then asked me to order food and pay in advance. Fair enough, I know Christmas parties can be troublesome for restaurants.

What I was surprised about was when I realised they had totalled the bill incorrectly and contacted them. I was advised that the additional amount was the added service charge.

Is this a regular practice to add on the service charge before there has been any service? I would always tip generously anyway but AFTER the meal!

Service charge is voluntary - you'd be within your rights (IMHO) to ask for it to be removed (a bit unseasonal though) or to state that tips will be given on a per person basis.

Was it 15% ?

Maybe if service turns out to be bad - ask for refund of it :)

I guess they're thinking that if you pay for the food in advance then they've lost the opportunity to harvest the service that would 'normally' come at the end of the meal/party.

you could argue that service has not occurred yet, but the food hasn't been served yet either and you've paid for that.

My personal pet hate - christmas set menus and sharing platters. It is hard to avoid during December, but I pretty much boycott any resturant that does this. I'd book somewhere with a reduced menu, but no way I'd pay in advance. I realise that's nothing to do with your question! If I had your situation, I would pay the food, and tip on the day.

Yep, many good points made. I too hate the Christmas set menus and sharing platters but needs must.

I have paid the service charge and wouldn't dream of not doing so. Even if the service turns out to be terrible I wouldn't ask for it to be returned.

I'm too English and so I just moan about it!

Just thought it was a bit of strange practice to add a tip onto my bill without telling me and before we have been served

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm too English and so I just moan about it!

>

> That's why service is poor, in general and when

> compared to certain other countries. (Think it is

> much more of a class thing rather than a national

> identity thing, BTW, anyway.)

True, service might improve if everyone states their case rather than just grumbling.

Interesting to note that you have assumed a class for me though..... I wonder which class you have put me in?!