Buses going through red lights

Nigello

A driver of a 12 I was on yesterday went through a red as it turned from W'worth Rd into Elephant. It was not a case of his having to do so because of danger, or because the lights were out of sync. I told him that I had witnessed this when I got off, asking him to please be careful. I also let the revenue inspector who was on board know.

It happens often, so if you are on a bus that burns a red, please let the driver know you saw what happened.

(I did not have enough information to let the bus company know.)

Buses have numbers and there's the license plate the route direction and time of day. Badly driven buses cause enormous damage and loss of life. There is a huge effort to get a reporting system onto buses which is being fought with enormous industrial and political clout

There should be a plate on the side of the bus which identifies the particular bus on that particular route and time. It's usually near the front at the side you get on at.

Otherwise, the license plate number (or even just the route number), and the time and place should be sufficient for the company to identify the bus and driver.

I have reported bad driving in the past (fearing for my life due to speed) and the bus company were very responsive.

I doubt the revenue inspector would have reported it, because how the driver drives is not really his concern, plus presumably he'd be snitching on a colleague, but I may be wrong.

I think the revenue inspector took it seriously: he said noted down a number. At least I said what I wanted to say to the driver and want others to do so in similar situations. (And yes- I spoke to the driver once the bus was stopped so as not to risk any accident, etc.)

messageBuses going through red lights new

Posted by Nigello Yesterday, 01:24PM

A driver of a 12 I was on yesterday went through a red as it turned from W'worth Rd into Elephant. It was not a case of his having to do so because of danger, or because the lights were out of sync. I told him that I had witnessed this when I got off, asking him to please be careful. I also let the revenue inspector who was on board know.

It happens often, so if you are on a bus that burns a red, please let the driver know you saw what happened.

(I did not have enough information to let the bus company know.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Preferably NOT whilst their driving!

Posted by Sue Yesterday, 03:31PM

There should be a plate on the side of the bus which identifies the particular bus on that particular route and time. It's usually near the front at the side you get on at.

Otherwise, the license plate number (or even just the route number), and the time and place should be sufficient for the company to identify the bus and driver.

I have reported bad driving in the past (fearing for my life due to speed) and the bus company were very responsive.

I doubt the revenue inspector would have reported it, because how the driver drives is not really his concern, plus presumably he'd be snitching on a colleague, but I may be wrong.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two companies are completely separate and is much a case where drivers will have nothing to do with the revenue.

Yes report incidents to TFL and the bus company itself but also think before you do to make sure you have all the facts - it wastes so much time when only half facts are provided.

Of course, if they sorted out the traffic lights on Denmark Hill, buses wouldn't be tempted to go through the red lights, or suddenly swerve into the car lane and there'd be less pollution as both buses and cars waited unecessarily at red lights.

If TfL took this as seriously as rail industries do "passing a signal at red" incidents, it simply would not happen.

Say what you like about Southern, on the odd occasion they manage to run a train, they don't take chances with our safety!

(Edited to try the avoid bold. No idea what's going on there)

Bus drivers are all fairly bonkers.

They do mad things like flash their lights at you if you change lane into their lane five car lengths in front of them..

I've now taken the view that they are thick as thick can be, as a friend said if they had any brains they wouldn't be bus drivers.

There's always the exception but 1% of bus drivers with a brain isn't really going to help...

Good heavens. Are you an expert in bus driving standards? I cycle amongst dozens each day, that is perhaps about 50,000 a year. About every other year I have an issue and have either taken this out with a rant, or if I feel strongly enough by e-mailing a complaint to London buses. London buses who oversee the franchise - I think that there are four large bus companies.

Bus patronage has boomed in recent years so they must be doing something right. I hope that you all thank the driver when they do a good job.

Can you all come back when you have something to say? Sorry this comes across as a bunch of middle class whingers. Of course I am free to ignore this thread, but life would be dull otherwise.

Move down the bus please, nothing happening here.

Peace and love. M

peckham_ryu Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If TfL took this as seriously as rail industries

> do "passing a signal at red" incidents, it simply

> would not happen.

>

> Say what you like about Southern, on the odd

> occasion they manage to run a train, they don't

> take chances with our safety!

>

> (Edited to try the avoid bold. No idea what's

> going on there)

malumbu Wrote:

> Are you an expert in bus driving standards? I cycle

Most of us don't consider it 'expertise' to know that ignoring red traffic lights falls below the required standard for vehicles. In fairness to you though, you're far from the only cyclist in London who doesn't think it's a big deal.

Red means stop. Most bus drivers are professional and careful. We don't need the ones who are in too much of a hurry for safe driving.

pop9770 Wrote:

> Bus drivers are all fairly bonkers.

> They do mad things like flash their lights at you

> if you change lane into their lane five car

> lengths in front of them..

> I've now taken the view that they are thick as

> thick can be, as a friend said if they had any

> brains they wouldn't be bus drivers.

>

> There's always the exception but 1% of bus

> drivers with a brain isn't really going to help...

Do you have any idea what the stopping distance for a double decker bus is? I'll give you a clue, it's a lot longer than 5 car lengths. If you cut in front of a bus and have to brake suddenly, I'll give you good odds that although you will stop quickly and efficiently, you'll then be rammed from behind by several tons of steel which no longer has enough room to brake to a complete halt.

pop9770 Wrote:

> Bus drivers are all fairly bonkers.

> They do mad things like flash their lights at you

> if you change lane into their lane five car

> lengths in front of them..

> I've now taken the view that they are thick as

> thick can be, as a friend said if they had any

> brains they wouldn't be bus drivers.

>

> There's always the exception but 1% of bus

> drivers with a brain isn't really going to help...

A) Bloody rude, the vast majority of bus drivers I come across as a passenger and as a cyclist sharing the road with them are cautious and courteous and certainly not thick - far better than most other professional drivers.

B) The stopping distance for an ordinary saloon travelling at 40KPH is 20 metres. That's about ten car lengths. Stopping distance for a double decker obviously greater by an order of magnitude. If you think it's safe to change lane with five car lengths to spare and then object to being flashed it's not the bus driver who's thick...