Sky TV and Netflix with an old TV- advice??

Minitoots

We are just about to move back to Sky TV from BT and have Netflix (which comes as an optional app with BT), but our TV is quite old and not enabled for Netflix with Sky. They have told us we will have to get a dongle or do it via our son's old X box or similar. If anyone else is in the same position can you let us know how easy it is to access Netflix in this way? We don't really want to have to get a new telly just for Netflix....

pablogrande Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If your tv has a hdmi input then you can use many

> different devices to stream, Apple TV, roku,

> Amazon fire stick. If you only have scart input

> there are still some roku boxes that will work

> with an adaptir cable

I use my PS3 - with the games controller.

Not brilliant but OK (unless you drop it)

Edit: My XBox 360 works too - with HD

thanks for the info. My son has an old Xbox 360 which we used to use for watching DVDs with the same TV so will try that first, and if not one of the other options you suggested that we will have to pay for. Should still be cheaper than buying a new Netflix enabled TV!

Just an FYI, this doesn't have too much to do with the age of your telly (if that's what Sky people are telling you). Your Sky box is perfectly capable of connecting to Netflix just like your BT/YouView box does it's just Sky haven't built this functionality in their boxes as they're in competition with Netflix.

Lots of good suggestions already made but another cheap option is Google Chromecast. Costs ?30 and normally comes with some credit for google movies or Now TV.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the helpful advice. My son's Xbox isn't working now so we are deciding between the other options - sounds like it's either Google Chromecast, Amazon firestick or Apple TV so if they are all quite similar and easy to use, we will get the cheapest!

By the way, if anyone else is moving from BT to Sky we had the most terrible customer service from Sky from start to finish due to them forgetting to send out our router but still cutting off BT. A tip for getting through to someone a bit more helpful is to mention having (an imaginary) friend/relative who works as a journalist for consumer products and who would be interested in doing a review of Sky's customer service- I got through to the senior manager in no time after telling them that, and she rang me every hour afterwards to see how the situation was progressing!!

having installed most of the above, i would avoid the Free stick if possible, especially if you intend to load any additional apps on it. they tend to get very slow and unresponsive after a while, the fire TV box runs much better.

the Now TV boxes are roku based and have all of the freeview etc apps. they only cost about ?15 and you sometime get deals with free sky movies for a couple of months with them

pablogrande Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> the Now TV boxes are roku based and have all of

> the freeview etc apps. they only cost about ?15

> and you sometime get deals with free sky movies

> for a couple of months with them

Yep, Now TV is decent if you want Sky content. But should point out the OP was after a way to watch Netflix and Now TV doesn't support that out of the box (I know there are ways around that but your average user is unlikely to want to get into that).