Restaurant bill advises % added for service -do waiting staff get that ?

intexasatthe moment

Depends entirely on the restaurant, some do share it, some don't. I have even known a place where a friend worked where the staff were instructed to say it was split between them but it actually wasn't. I prefer to ask for the service charge to be removed and leave the equivalent (or more) in cash for the server. The only trouble is that often means the chefs and bottlewashers don't get a cut...another reason I wish the tiresome business of tipping could be done away with, I'd sooner pay 10% extra as part of the meal at a restaurant that advised they paid at least the London living wage and discouraged tips.

In my very limited experience (two restaurants) many years ago all tips went into a communal jar and then were divvied up equally with the serving and kitchen staff, but I don't know if that's a common practice. It seemed fair to me, after all however charming the server is they're not going to get much of a tip if the meal's lousy.

I would prefer it if prices were raised by 7-10% and tips were then given voluntarily. Very hard to know definitively where tips go. I'm usually concerned whether the chefs, plongeurs etc are getting a cut. Adding a tip automatically is bad practice because it's a form of social bullying as proprietors know most people won't want to embarrass themselves and their guests by asking for it to be removed (even if a cash tip is then left).