Southwark Council Bulky Waste Booking

Delainie

Just spoke to a neighbour who called Southwark to book and pay the ?16 to have old sofa collected, no good for freecycle as was used as sofa for her dogs! Anyhow she was told the only way to book now is online and pay when booking. She doesn't have a computer , she was told to go to the library to use one, she said she wouldn't know how to use a computer and would have to rely on someone helping her. Although she said all this to person on phone and that she wouldn't want to use public computer and wouldn't want to put her debit card details into it, she was just told he couldn't help her and hasn't she got someone to help her get rid of the sofa. I'm not being funny, I can't believe this is the case, does anyone know if the info she was given was correct? Plenty of people do not feel safe using their card on line , let alone a public computer and having to rely on someone doing it for them. What about our elders that have no interest in or knowledge of computers who prefer to use the phone. Also it seems you have to register for my Southwark where you have to give your email etc. I've noticed items of furniture are being dumped more frequently opposite where I live and at one point up in sainsburys car park, I thought it was because people didn't want to pay the ?16, now I'm wondering is it because people have to book and pay online. Anyone know about this?? Thx

Southwark expects everyone to be on line or have access to a computer either via libraries or friends.

In my previous job dealing with hospital patients - it was quite common for the patient to be picked up by LAS and taken to A & E and their house keys get mislaid on the way or during transfers to wards. Originally with a council tenant - we would contact the appropriate housing office to check whether they had flat keys/security fobs for that particular area, get the cost then physically go to the cash office and housing office to collect keys/fobs. Whole process would take anything from 1 - 3 hours with the travelling and waiting times.

Now you can only order replacement keys/fobs on line, pay for them on line and they will be delivered to the tenant at their property within 14 - 21 days. What the Southwark Officers could not get was that Mrs. Jones had lost her house keys and could not get into her house, so she could not leave hospital to wait for the postal delivery to her property as could not get in!!!

Pugwash, that is bloody outrageous. The poor lady. In comparison my neighbour getting an old sofa removed, isn't that serious. What on earth is wrong with Southwark council, have they completely forgotten about the elderly and vulnerable people. I feel anything these days to get resolved concerning Southwark council is just like banging your head against a wall.

I'm pretty sure I remember someone posting on here which said you could book a collection by telephone, but only if you could convince the operator that you were unable to do it online. Might be worth a call to Southwark Environmental to see if this is possible for your neighbour.

Edited to add, I hadn't appreciated she'd already tried this. It still might be worth her trying again and seeing if she gets someone more sympathetic - or speaking to her local councillor - this is the sort of thing they should be able to take this up on her behalf.