Love West Dulwich Lamp-post Banner Competition is now live!

rigbydan

Love West Dulwich have recently been awarded funds by Southwark in order to install lamppost banners in the area, rather like those that you see in Herne Hill.

As Dulwich is such a hot bed of creativity we are playing to our strengths. Love West Dulwich, in partnership with the Dulwich Festival, are running a competition and inviting entries from artists of all ages and experience who have a connection with West Dulwich to submit artwork celebrating the spirit of the area.

The winners will be judged by a panel including Helen Hayes MP and representatives from Dulwich Picture Gallery and Dulwich Outdoor Gallery. Approximately 50 two metre banners featuring the winning artworks will be installed on lamp-posts throughout West Dulwich in May 2017.

This is a brilliant opportunity for anyone with a connection to West Dulwich to get their work seen in public in various locations around the area.

The deadline for artwork submissions is Monday 30th January 2017. For further details and full competition brief please go to

http://dulwichfestival.co.uk/love-west-dulwich-lamp-post-art-banner-competition/

#avisionforwestdulwich

West Dulwich, East Dulwich and Dulwich Village are shown on most maps. North Dulwich isn't, and the train station seems to be between East Dulwich and Herne Hill.

Postcodes: SE21 as a postcode seems to cover the Village and West Dulwich and the only other Dulwich postcode is SE22.

Hi

One person's West Dulwich is another person's West Norwood, Gipsy Hill or Dulwich Village but we at Love west Dulwich, an alliance of local businesses and residents see it roughly as follows:

Western border: Martell Road / Rosendale Road

Northern Border: South Circular - ish

Eastern Border: Dulwich College

Southern Border: somewhere along South Croxted Road

Take a look at our map...

https://www.facebook.com/lovewestdulwich/photos/a.273186842883838.1073741827.273178922884630/289447621257760/?type=3&theater

We are hoping that this lamppost project will help define the area and give it a bit more identity.

I've never heard of the Norwood Chamber of Commerce, I guess they may list the area as falling within their realm but they are not active in the area. If you were to ask people on the ground in Rosendale road, both businesses and residents I would be very surprised to hear anyone say Norwood. Indeed, one of the reasons we started Love West Dulwich is because we felt a bit inbetween / peripheral, Lambeth were focused on West Norwood and Southwark on East Dulwich, so we took it upon ourselves to be more proactive, create an identity, foster a sense of community and promote the area, the lamppost banner scheme is part of this initiative.

• 4 months later...
Am pleased to hear that the winning lamppost banners will be installed this week in West Dulwich in time for the summer Fayre on Saturday 20th May, the businesses on Rosendale Road and the Rosendale Pub are financing their own banners as they do not receive funding from Southwark

• 3 weeks later...

This is the banner I like.

I'd like to visit it and take a photograph.

Does anyone know here it was installed?

Still not found the documents on the Southwark Council web-site.

I'm also interested in the mechanism by which Lambeth businesses refunded Southwark Council.

Jacqui5254 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> On reflection, I'd give Alleyn Park a miss,

> edhistory.

>

> As womanofdulwich said...'it's on Rosendale

> Rd'..

>

Thank you again.

I went to West Dulwich this morning.

A little disappointed the banners are so flimsy and won't last very long.

I could not get a decent shot at the West Dulwich vermin.

• 4 weeks later...

Ariadne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Am pleased to hear that the winning lamppost

> banners will be installed this week in West

> Dulwich in time for the summer Fayre on Saturday

> 20th May, the businesses on Rosendale Road and the

> Rosendale Pub are financing their own banners as

> they do not receive funding from Southwark

Did you spot that there are also banners on the Lambeth Council side of Croxted Road itself?