Southwark Libraries

Marcia123

Hello Mr Barber,

Glad to see someone reaching out to the public, even if it's just for us to moan at.

Southwark Libraries epecially Peckham and Camberwell.. why are they so noisy. I use libraries regularly and thought they were supposed to be quiet to either read, use the computer or for other community events. Especially if you are doing a job application you wnat some form of peace. But not in Southwark its seems you can have phone conversation as though you are at home on the sofa. Or talk with friends as though your in a playground. Even some of the staff particularly at the temporary Walworth road one(in the box village) seem to think that we all want to hear about their life history and what problems their having in their life so loudly or what should be done about the tickets in the library books. Where did they get their training from I don't know. The only libraries in Southwark that I can say are quiet is Grove Vale where they have fantastic Staff and Dulwich.

I know you represent East Dulwich but do you have any influence or say in the other libraries across the borough?

Marcia123 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello Mr Barber,

>

> Glad to see someone reaching out to the public,

> even if it's just for us to moan at.

>

> Southwark Libraries epecially Peckham and

> Camberwell.. why are they so noisy. I use

> libraries regularly and thought they were supposed

> to be quiet to either read, use the computer or

> for other community events. Especially if you are

> doing a job application you wnat some form of

> peace. But not in Southwark its seems you can

> have phone conversation as though you are at home

> on the sofa. Or talk with friends as though your

> in a playground. Even some of the staff

> particularly at the temporary Walworth road one(in

> the box village) seem to think that we all want to

> hear about their life history and what problems

> their having in their life so loudly or what

> should be done about the tickets in the library

> books. Where did they get their training from I

> don't know. The only libraries in Southwark that

> I can say are quiet is Grove Vale where they have

> fantastic Staff and Dulwich.

> I know you represent East Dulwich but do you have

> any influence or say in the other libraries across

> the borough?

As you say, James Barber represents East Dulwich, and you say there isn't a problem with the libraries in this area. In any case, this isn't his forum (although he has a thread on it) so it seems a bit strange to be starting a separate thread specifically to ask him a question!

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,336529

Wouldn't you be better approaching the people responsible for the libraries to find out what their policy is and whether or not it is being implemented?

I imagine it's difficult to find a balance between keeping the places reasonably quiet and not frightening potential users off.

Hi Marcia123,

Out of curiosity I popped in to look at this thread. Happy to ask the head of leisure about this but if/when you have future casework for me please use 'my' thread in this section of the forum please.

If you PM me your email address I'll copy you the first contact about this issue - I'll wait 24hours on off chance you want this.

Hi Sue,

Many thanks for trying to help. As an elected councillor for East Dulwich ward I represent East Dulwich residents but also have a wider Southwark remit as indeed do all councillors. And this casework sounds like a more generic piece of casework that the named libraries.

Why not just have a word with the staff and the public who are doing the annoying things? Just do it politely and reasonably and you will probably get a good result, even if its's accompanied with a bit of huffing and/or flouncing. (Someone was playing a song loudly on their phone this morning, very early, on the bus. I asked them to stop or to use headphones, was asked "why?" to which I replied "because it's loud, it's early and it's not your living room" and I got a good result and an apology.)

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> (Someone was

> playing a song loudly on their phone this morning,

> very early, on the bus. I asked them to stop or to

> use headphones, was asked "why?" to which I

> replied "because it's loud, it's early and it's

> not your living room" and I got a good result and

> an apology.)

Good for you.

I'm usually too chicken to do that.

More fool you, Lynne. If you see a problem you can have a go at solving with minimum fuss you really ought to go ahead and do it. That kind of attitude of yours speaks volumes about what is wrong with society. Ask the loud people to be quiet then tell the staff you've just had to do so as they weren't doing anything. You ease your frustration, possibly getting a result and you express your dissatisfaction with the service. If you CBA to do either you'll then carry on feeling aggrieved!

On reflection, Nigello I've had people try and punch me, had a chair thrown at me, stopped a man urinating in a corner, stopped a woman taking all her clothes off, broken up fights, ejected drunks. Would you like me to got on? And why? It was my job.Did I ask the public to join in? No. And why? Was it their job? No.