Do request bus stops still exist - what's the drill ?did I miss the memo ?

intexasatthe moment

It's obvious really

There are two types of stops

Request bus stops where you need to indicate to the driver you need to get on (mental telepathy isn't an option)

And

Bus stops where the bus has to stop regardless

Request stops are indicated by the word request on the stop sign

If you didn't put your arm out at a request stop the driver may have assumed you didn't want him to stop

It's all got a bit weird in the last few years. Used to be if you were travelling on a bus and wanted to get off at a compulsory stop you didn't have to ring the bell but now if you don't the bus will go sailing past the stop. A couple of times I remonstrated with the driver who told me I should have rung the bell. So just to be sure, when I'm waiting at a bus stop I always stick my arm out unless the bus is already indicating and when wanting to get off I always ring the bell.

all stops are now compulsory

It makes sense to stop only when requested to do so or when the bell rings... Obviously you need to be aware of any elderly or disabled people getting on or off the bus

Ever been on a bus where the driver stops at every stop regardless of anybody getting on or off? How annoying.....

Many passengers complain about this. This is often complained about during the less busy periods, ie. school holidays, bank holiday periods

This is either because the driver is doing their job sticking to the rule book or the are early.

Re the speed limit.... I always try to drive 20mph or less. when passengers complain about how slow you are driving or why you are driving so slow, I have to remind about the speed limit & also to complain to tfl.

Unfortunately like anything in life you can't win no matter what you do.

This is an overly demanding job which pays very little for the responsibility you have.

I noticed this some years back.

I always thought that if a bus was a request stop, obviously you had to hail the bus to get on, or ring the bell to get off.

What I didn't grasp was that you have to ring the bell to get off at compulsory stops as well, because even if you are clearly standing at the door waiting to get off, the driver will ignore that unless you ring the bell.

It's a nonsense. What is the point of having two different types of stop at all?

Someone in 2012 did a FOI about this and got back the entire Big Red Book.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/114507/response/283283/attach/3/Bigbook.pdf

Seems bus can keep going if they are sure there is nobody waiting - but if anyone is at the

stop they must stop (visually impaired might not see the bus coming, tourists don't know the

rules) - 2012 vintage :).

No distinction is made between types of stop that I can see.

I think everyone missed the memo, especially the bus drivers. Elsie Road is not a request stop, yet you still have to stick your hand out to get a bus to stop! Especially annoying if you only just get to the stop in time and turn to find a bus sailing by. (185 driver, Thursday morning, I'm looking at you).

• 2 months later...

I've just noticed I have a copy of a similar but clearer FoI response from 2010:

Following a stakeholder consultation conducted in 2007, we have

implemented a change to bus stopping practices, removing the distinction

between compulsory and request stops. It was found that most people using

bus services in London do not distinguish between a request stop and a

compulsory stop. The vast majority of passengers hail the bus if they wish

to board and ring the bell to alight. We are gradually standardising stops

so that they all use the compulsory flag (a red roundel on a white

background). All stops in central London are now of this same design.

The change effectively means that the onus is on the driver to stop if

someone wishes to get on or off, and drivers should only pass a stop if

they are certain that no-one wishes to board or alight. We did not

publicise the change as research indicated that very few passengers would

be changing their normal practice of hailing and ringing the bell.https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/buses_not_stopping_at_compulsory

I generally try to be helpful with my body language, stepping away from the stop and looking elsewhere, if the one approaching isn't the one I want.