Knocking wall between bathroom & toilet ex council flat

ontheedge

I live in an ex council flat, I am the leaseholder. I want to knock wall between toilet & bathroom in order to give a decent sized bathroom.

Has anyone done this and did you seek permission from council? Many of my neighbours have done it some with permission and some without.

Don't think the wall is loadbearing, brick construction but I'm sure builder will be able to tell me.

I'm not that bothered about the ?259 the council are asking for to grant permission although not sure what the money is for as a survey on top would be extra, it is more the fact they can take months to process.

Any thoughts

Thanks

I'm also a leaseholder of an ex-council flat (Southwark Council is freeholder) and in my opinion, if I were you I would inform them of your intention to knock down the wall. We had our bathroom refurbished last year and didn't realise we were meant to inform the Council before we had the work carried out. We applied for retrospective permission and it cost us ?400 rather than the ?30 or ?40 it would have cost had we asked for permission before having had the work carried out.

We did wonder whether the Council would ever know/find out that we'd had the work done, but thought it better to get the correct paperwork in case we get asked for it in the future when we sell. Depends on your risk appetite I guess! But Southwark Council are just money grabbers and I hate having them as the freeholder!!