What a con!!!

REDD

I hear you, REDD. No, the council does not give a damn, and it never will. However, in general this forum is wonderful. A great resource for buying and selling, and for recommendations for great, trustworthy local businesses and restaurants, and general news regarding local events and meet-ups, and even criminal activities, as a warning to us all. In fact, I lost my new glasses recently, ?250-worth, and a neighbour posted on the forum she had found them. They were in perfect condition, when I went to pick them up. It is never going to save the world, so stop despairing. It's one of the best local forums out there. But, out of interest, what is it you actually want to happen?

REDD Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lets get this right. What does this forum actually

> do? Does it make a difference? Does anything get

> resolved? Does the council acually give a damn.

> The reason is this, its one thing to put something

> on here, but its another for someone to see it and

> take notice and act. Otherwise its just another

> page where nothing gets done. Bit like an agony

> aunt.

What's your point?

The EDF is independent of the council so I don't understand why you think the council should take notice of what is posted on the forum. However our councillors do look at it and post on it and have been instrumental in resolving many, many problems that residents have posted about here so yes it does make a difference.

On a community level, the forum acts as an information exchange - posters advise about planning applications, crime issues, travel issues, bad service etc etc etc which others may not be aware of. It is also a way of finding recommended tradesmen (I don't know how I managed in that regard before the EDF) and a way of finding answers to all kinds of problems. The forum has been set up for the East Dulwich area but as a measure of its success residents from outside the area post about issues within their communities.

So that briefly, in answer to your question, is what the forum does. You are not under any obligation to visit it or participate.

Hi REDD,

Renata, a Peckham Rye Councillor here. I read the forum and significant amounts of casework come to me either directly or indirectly from the Forum (far more than eg from Ward Surgeries). Some council officers do look at it and I have sometimes copied threads and posted to them or directed them to one on the Forum. It is also a very useful way for me to inform local residents on matters of relevance to them eg recently, resurfacing works that are scheduled for Peckham Rye East. It actually spans way outside the East Dulwich area. I've assisted residents from Rotherhithe and from neighbouring Boroughs!

Hi Renata

Two things that bother me. The state of the cycle path through Rye Lane. The road is too narrow, so buses often mount it and this has caused great damage. Southwark lob in tarmac from time to time, which comes off shortly afterwards. I have complained both to Southwark and TfL.

Secondly parking enforcement on Rye Lane where the double yellow lines appear to signify 'park here'. This causes congestion, particularly to buses. I did write, and was given stats on enforcement - but from my own eyes this remains a big issue and to be honest many drivers don't give a monkeys.

I have lost of other issues in life, but probably not relevant to a Southwark Councillor!

REDD Wrote:

> Yep sorry people. I was a we bit drunk when i

> posted this. Did not mean to cause offence. Its is

> a good forum.

>

> RGDS

Don't worry REDD, dry January can often spring a leak.

REDD Wrote:

> Yep sorry people. I was a we bit drunk when i

> posted this. Did not mean to cause offence. Its is

> a good forum.

>

> RGDS

When you get drunk and turn against everybody and everything :)

I've never done that obviously

Angelina Wrote:

> no worries REDD, you might also notice that

> alcohol (bottles of red, mainly) is a common

> currency of the Forum and also a pretty common

> topic :-)

I once received a very nice bottle of red in a Forum exchange. Then I immediately (sadly!) exchanged it for something else off the Forum, essential at the time. I can't recall what it was, probably baby related.

It did make me wonder how many times a bottle can go round the Forum, and perhaps I should have written 'ED Forum' with a score mark on the label! :)