Women's March on London

Catherine W

Hi,

I'm copying and pasting from the website linked below.... hopefully there will be lots of marching boots leaving ED this Saturday:

https://www.womensmarchlondon.com

When

SATURDAY 21 JANUARY

12PM

Where

THE US EMBASSY

24 GROSVENOR SQUARE

LONDON W1A 2LQ

Schedule

12PM MARCH ASSEMBLES IN FRONT OF THE US EMBASSY, 24 GROSVENOR SQUARE

2PM - 3.30PM RALLY IN TRAFALGAR SQUARE

UPDATE:

THE MARCH section of the website has now been updated. Please check it in detail for in depth information including march day tips, transport, march start point, a list of speakers and information for those bringing children or those who self identify as disabled.

FAQ

1. Is The Women's March on London an anti-Trump march? Why should I march against the president of another country?

The Women's March on London is not an anti-Trump march per se. Though Donald Trump's election was arguably the catalyst for a grassroots collective of women to come together and formulate the idea of the Women's March, its objective is to protect and stand up for fundamental values that have recently come under attack namely human rights, equality, dignity, safety and health. We are inviting anyone with an interest in preserving and defending those rights, to take part and show their opposition.

2. Why march on January 21st?

We are marching on this date - a global day of action - in solidarity with people in the United States as well as people all over the world whose human rights are being threatened. The loss of human rights is a global issue that requires a global response. If fundamental human rights are being questioned then we believe we must take action and defend them; that's exactly what we are aiming to do with this march.

3. Why call yourselves Women's March on ...?

The march was given its name by those who started this initiative in Washington DC. In solidarity, we adopted the name as the march is spearheaded BY women, but importantly is FOR everyone.

4. Is the march about women's rights?

The Women's March on London is not specifically about women's rights only. However, women's rights are human rights and for that we will gladly take to the street and march.

5. It seems like you are marching for so many different issues, none of which have anything to do with women's rights at all?

We disagree with the idea that racism, homophobia, transphobia, Islamophobia, disability prejudice, poverty, and the environment aren't 'women's issues.' They are intertwined with women's rights because a significant proportion of women are people of colour, trans, lesbian, Muslim, disabled, economically suffering, and living on this earth.

6. Is this march only for women?

No, the march is open to people of any gender.

7. Can children attend the march?

Yes, children of any age are very welcome and we have been working hard to make the march as inviting and family friendly as possible. For detailed, up to date information about bringing younger marchers along, please check THE MARCH section of the website. There you'll find information about children's activities scheduled on the day as well as advice on what to consider when bringing along younger marchers.

8. Can people who self-identify as disabled attend the march?

Yes, people who self-identify as disabled and those who require additional support are very welcome to march with us. Please check the THE MARCH section of the website for in depth details about disabled people's access points, disabled parking, the location of the designated area and all other crucial information. You can also find an information pack here.

9. What are you doing to ensure the march is safe?

We are working closely with the police to ensure the highest level of safety. We also have highly experienced stewards assisting us on the day of the march and 20 first aiders in attendance as well. In addition there will be an experienced team of volunteer legal observers present. Please check the website under THE MARCH for all details around the matter of safety.

10. Where can I find out more information about the march?

The Women's March on London was discussed on BBC's Woman's Hour, written about in The Guardian, The Telegraph, Empowering Women, TeenVogue, BBC Newsbeat, Stylist Magazine, The Evening Standard, The Evening Standard again and again here at The Evening Standard.

11. I cannot attend the Women's March on London? Are there marches anywhere else? Is there another way I can take action?

There are now 6 UK sister marches namely in Barnstable, Belfast, Cardiff, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Shipley, Southampton, St Austell, York and Edinburgh. Please check this page here for a list of all marches happening all over the world.

You can take action by spreading the word, telling us why you support the march using the hastag #whyimarch on social media, buying any of our fundraising merchandise or donating money which will be used towards covering our march costs.

Who will be speaking and performing at the rally?

Sandi Toksvig - MC

Camilla Kerslake - Singer

Stella Creasy - MP Labour

Akeela Ahmed - Founder, She speaks, We hear

Tanya Moodie - Actress and Ambassador, Women's Equality Party

Natasha Walter - Women 4 Refugee Women

Yvette Cooper - MP, Labour

Sajeela Kershi - Comedian

Polly Neate - Chief Executive, Women's Aid

Ava Vidal - Comedian

Caroline Russell - Green Party

Isabel Adomakoh Young - Ambassador, 50:50 Parliament

Lady Phyll - Co-founder, Trustee and Executive, Black Pride UK

Sara Pascoe - Comedian

Sara Olney - LibDem

Diane Holland - Assistant General Secretary, UNITE Union

Eve Best - Actress

Kate Allen - Director, Amnesty UK

Clare Murphy - Director of External Affairs, British Pregnancy Advisory Service

Holler4U - Pop choir

"Women's March on London

The US election proved a catalyst for a grassroots movement of women to assert the positive values that the politics of fear denies. On January 21 2017, the first day of Donald Trump?s Presidency, women-led marches, welcoming all participants, will take place across the world, with the largest expected in Washington D.C.. We, the organisers of the London march, call on people of all genders to march in London as part of an international day of action in solidarity.

We will march, wherever we march, for the protection of our fundamental rights and for the safeguarding of freedoms threatened by recent political events. We unite and stand together for the dignity and equality of all peoples, for the safety and health of our planet and for the strength of our vibrant and diverse communities.

We will come together in the spirit of democracy, honouring the champions of human rights who have gone before us. Please spread the word, so that our numbers are too great to ignore and the message to the world is clear.

Our supporters include:

Amnesty International, Greenpeace, ActionAid UK, Oxfam GB, Women's Equality Party, The Green Party, Pride London, Democrats Abroad UK, Syria Solidarity Campaign, Unite the Union, Black Pride, Solidarity with Refugees, WOW, NUS, British Scientists for the EU, She Speaks We Hear, Women 4 Refugee Women, 50:50 Parliament, Women in Leadership, The Equality Trust, Verve UK, Daughters of Eve, Womankind Worldwide, The English Collective of Prostitutes, ActionForRefugeesInLewisham, Latin American Women's Aid, International Planned Parenthood Federation, Soroptimist International, Women in Prison, Stop The War Coalition, Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, Left Unity, UK SAYS NO MORE, Inquest, Black Women's Rape Action Project, Women Against Rape, WinVisible, QueerStrike, Women of Colour Global Women's Strike, Women's Aid, Morning Gloryville, Payday Men's Network, International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network UK, London-Irish Abortion Rights Campaign, Network of Eritrean Women, Women in Leadership Publication, Fourth Wave: London Feminist Activists

The politics of fear and division have no place in 2017."

Great initiative Catherine W. Really good piece this morning on Woman's Hour re the global nature of this....and one woman's journey from 'slacktivist' to 'activist'. I'm that out of touch that I hadn't heard the term slacktivist before...

If this march is open to everyone and its purpose is to stand up against issues that affect both sexes, why is it called a womens march? Surely it could have been called something else that better reflected the reasons for doing this at all.

It's difficult to see what this march might achieve. Demonstrations tend to work best when they have a very clear and specific demand. The problem with too many of these marches, is that they're extremely diffuse and tend to be focused on broad principles rather than a set of specific actionable demands. They also seem to encompass many different agendas.

The stated objectives are "to protect and stand up for fundamental values that have recently come under attack namely human rights, equality, dignity, safety and health." But where is the 'how', I'm not sure marching does it (except in the very literal sense that one is standing). I support all those ideals, but then many who voted for Trump would say they do to, that's the problem.

...and of course I'm not for a minute suggesting that all American women will be having the same thoughts. Clearly many voted for Trump. But won't there be a fair few who see this as a potentially dangerous time - particularly for women's rights?

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "identity politics is divisive nonsense that is

> reaping what it sows in the US and, to a lesser

> degree, the UK or certainly the Labour Party to

> the detriment of us all" - discuss

>

> PS I've checked my privilege

and me ... it's 15

Jenny1 Wrote:

> ...and of course I'm not for a minute suggesting

> that all American women will be having the same

> thoughts. Clearly many voted for Trump. But won't

> there be a fair few who see this as a potentially

> dangerous time - particularly for women's rights?

i agree your last sentence.

But not sure that a march in London will do much AND part of the reasons why some men in the US voted trump (and probably some women) is the championing of Identity Politics by many democrats, most campuses and many ' metropolitans' in the US , don't you think? if we start dividing every middle class person of non heterosexual sexuality, flexible gender, female, colour etc away from white men some white men are going to get pissed off. I'd prefer we all tried to work things out together - sentimental old hippy that I am.....

???? Wrote:

> "identity politics is divisive nonsense that is

> reaping what it sows in the US and, to a lesser

> degree, the UK or certainly the Labour Party to

> the detriment of us all" - discuss

For an extra credit: "Identity politics is being used as an excuse by some voters to allow the more selfish and bigoted elements of their opinions to rise to the surface, confident in the knowledge that when they apply these opinions at the ballot box the subsequent ludicrous outcome will be blamed not on them but on the people who directly oppose those opinions. Discuss."

I admit I know nothing about this movement in the US, but I can't help but be reminded of the attempt in the UK to copy the Black Lives Matter campaign, and I agree with Rahx3 that a demonstration has the best chance of getting a message across when the message is clear and explicit.

TheCat Wrote:

> So this protest is named after only one gender,

> and all of the speakers and performers are

> exclusively one gender.....but it's for

> 'everyone'....

>

> Hmmmmmmm.....

hmmmm indeed

it's quite possible that marches don't achieve anything - but at last they give people a reason to assemble visibly to support or protest. the right of public assembly is precious and people have suffered to protect it

so no men are assembling - why don't you do something about that instead of hmmm-ing and hawing?

We're way busy watching other men kick a symbolic pigs bladder for 90 minutes.

It's how we get to release our pent up masculinity, and quite possibly the only way we can cry or show ecstatic joy and connect with ourselves.

And the pig bladder is often representative of our guilt and deep rooted dislike of the pig spirit in man, so by cheering others that kick it for us, we're liberated momentarily in our minds, thus 'we' collectively kick the bladder of the pig, as much out of a sense of liberation and often fear .

The further symbolic joy of setting aside an arena to express this, twice weekly, gives us hope where hope may have been otherwise extinguished. Further, the chanting brings on a higher state of emotional engagement, which often lasts beyond the 90 minutes. And if the conclusion is neutral a further number of minutes are allocated to whip up the spectacle.

It incredible to see otherwise meek individuals, spill forth their thoughts, knowing they are in a safe place and will be held aloft, quite possibly.

'The referee's a w4nker'

Thus organising anything between these two weekly festivals, might prove distracting .

civilservant Wrote:

> TheCat Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So this protest is named after only one gender,

> > and all of the speakers and performers are

> > exclusively one gender.....but it's for

> > 'everyone'....

> >

> > Hmmmmmmm.....

>