Lovely new walk 40 mins on train from Nunhead Station

amac

What a lovely looking walk. It's years since I last took the train to Shoreham but I'm sure this will inspire a lot of people to do just that. And I love the idea that there are 'mysterious valleys' in an area of the county so wrapped around with motorways. I remember the extensions to the M20 being built in the 70s and 80s. One reason why my parents fled the South East I think.

Had my stag do on a Shoreham to Otford walk in 2006. Plenty of good pubs and repeated this every year in Kent. Thanks for the link, will check some of this out. Remember the countryside is nice to visit, but it is always good to come back to SE London!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi amac,

Just wanted to let you know that I did your new route today with a couple of friends. We actually ran it though as it is so nice to get out and do a rural run instead of pounding the pavements round here.

Although I say we ran it, we also did quite a bit of stopping to check your directions. We also walked up the big hills and of course those steps!

After arriving back in Shoreham we added on a few more miles by continuing on to Eynsford, going past Lullingstone Castle and Roman Villa. There is a really nice tea shop in Eynsford, just by the bridge so we stocked up on tea, coffee and cake there before getting the train back to Peckham Rye.

Lovely views along this route and it is so quiet. We saw hardly anyone but that could be because it had been such a wet morning perhaps.

Thanks for taking the time to put up such a well planned out route. Looking forward to doing it again.

Aaah! CHIDDINGSTONE is the SHUT, the pub/tea rooms owned by the national trust is shut down and looking for new landlords ... the castle grounds are open for fishing I think, but theres no where for tea!!!!

CHILHAM VILLAGE is most pretty and well worth a walk round the old church and village shops. One pub is quite expensive with a posher menu approx ?35 lunch pp. The white horse is good value pub grub from ?8-!2 a dish. Great photo opportuniities.